China: Court Sentences 28-Year-Old Driver To Death – World News – African News Network | Latest African News | Nigerian News | Breaking News
Connect with us

World News

China: Court Sentences 28-Year-Old Driver To Death

Published

on

China: Court Sentences 28-Year-Old Driver To Death

A Chinese court has on Friday sentenced a driver to death after he pleaded guilty to charges including murder, rape and robbery.

Zhong Yuan, a 28-year-old man was arraigned before a court in eastern coastal city of Wenzhou for raping and killing a female passenger of ride-hailing company Didi Chuxing last year August, while he was employed as a driver.

The 20-year-old female passenger, Zhao, was using Didi’s Hitch service—which has since been suspended—to travel to meet a friend. During the journey, she sent a message to a friend with the word “help” before her mobile was switched off.

Zhong was alleged to have forged his driving license, and passed a facial recognition check required by the company before allowing drivers to pick up passengers.

Didi suspended its carpool service Hitch after the incident and pledged a business overhaul to put a greater emphasis on safety, including strict rules for drivers.

READ:  Breaking: INEC Postpones Elections Till February 23

World News

Israeli Forces Arrest Seven Palestinians In West Bank Raid

Published

on

By

Israeli Forces Arrest Seven Palestinians In West Bank Raid

Israeli Forces have arrested seven Palestinians from various areas of the occupied West Bank, in multiple overnight raids across the area.

The army said the individuals were arrested for “suspected involvement in terrorist activities” and had been referred to relevant authorities for further investigation.

READ:  China Unveils Proposed Tariffs On $60 Billion Of U.S. Goods In Latest Trade War Salvo

Israeli forces continued on Monday to hunt for a Palestinian they said killed two persons and injured a third on Sunday near the illegal Jewish settlement of Ariel in the occupied west bank.

READ:  Malaysia Says It Won't Host Any Sporting Event Involving Israel

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu visited the site of the attack on Monday and pledged tough action, including demolition of the assailant’s home.

Continue Reading

World News

Indonesian Floods: Death Toll Rises To 89

Published

on

By

Indonesian Floods: Death Toll Rises To 89

The death toll from flash floods and mudslides, triggered by days of torrential downpours in Indonesia’s easternmost Papua province, has risen to 89, with dozens of others missing.

Spokesperson for the National Disaster Mitigation Agency, Sutopo Purwo, says 89 bodies had been pulled from the mud and wreckage of collapsed homes by Tuesday.

READ:  Ebola Threatens To Spread To Uganda

Another one hundred fifty-nine persons were injured, including 84 who were hospitalised, many with broken bones and head wounds.

The number of dead is expected to rise as rescue workers comb through affected areas.

READ:  One Killed, Four Injured In Borno Suicide Attack

Papua military spokesperson, Colonel Muhammad Aidi, says more than sixteen hundred rescuers, including soldiers and police, faced difficulties on Tuesday in clearing huge piles of debris because of shortages of heavy equipment.

READ:  Malaysia Says It Won't Host Any Sporting Event Involving Israel

Continue Reading

World News

UPDATES: Dutch Police Arrest Suspect In Deadly Tram Shooting

Published

on

By

Dutch Police Arrest Suspect In Deadly Tram Shooting

Dutch police have arrested The suspect in the deadly tram shooting in Utrecht, Netherlands, officials say.

Motive for the shooting remains unclear; police have said they were investigating a “possible terrorist motive” for the attack, but reports have also emerged that the shooting might have its roots in a family dispute.

READ:  Brexit Deal: UK Parliament Asks Prime Minister To Reopen Negotiations

The shooting incident occurred in the Dutch city of Utrecht where a gunman opened fire on a tram in the central part of the city on Monday killing at least three persons and wounding nine.

READ:  U.S. Airstrikes Kill Al-Shabaab Millitants In Somalia

Utrecht police have released a photo of the suspect. He is Gokmen Tanis, a 37-year-old Turkish national.

Continue Reading

Trending

Subscribe to ANN News Alert

Be the first to receive the latest news from Africa and around the world.

%d bloggers like this: