Christchurch Shootings: 49 Dead In New Zealand Mosque Attacks – World News – African News Network | Latest African News | Nigerian News | Breaking News
Connect with us

World News

Christchurch Shootings: 49 Dead In New Zealand Mosque Attacks

Published

on

Christchurch Shootings: 49 Dead In New Zealand Mosque Attacks

At least Forty-nine people have been killed and at least 20 wounded in mass shootings at two mosques full of worshippers in Christchurch, New Zealand.

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has described the attack as one of the country’s darkest days.

Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison described the gunman, who had Australian citizenship, as an “extremist, right-wing” terrorist.

READ:  MTN, Glo, Airtel, Fined $7 Million For Poor Services In Ghana

Police called on the public not to share the “extremely distressing” footage online. Facebook said it had removed the gunman’s Facebook and Instagram accounts and was working to remove any copies of the footage.

The suspect was also believed to have published a manifesto outlining his intentions, in which he espoused far right and anti-immigrant ideology.

READ:  Surrey Train Murder: Accused Man Says He Is Innocent

Speaking at a press conference, Mr Bush said police were working to determine whether the other suspects detained were involved in the incident.

He said a number of firearms had been recovered from both shooting sites.

Officials said that one man in his late 20s had been charged with murder, and that two explosive devices were found attached to a vehicle that they had stopped

READ:  Dash Hopes For Illegal Gold Miners Trapped In Indonesia

A Muslim leader in New Zealand said the attack was especially shocking as it took place around Friday Prayer. The police urged people to stay away from the mosques until further notice

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

World News

Indonesian Floods: Death Toll Rises To 89

Published

on

By

Indonesian Floods: Death Toll Rises To 89

The death toll from flash floods and mudslides, triggered by days of torrential downpours in Indonesia’s easternmost Papua province, has risen to 89, with dozens of others missing.

Spokesperson for the National Disaster Mitigation Agency, Sutopo Purwo, says 89 bodies had been pulled from the mud and wreckage of collapsed homes by Tuesday.

READ:  Police Seal Off CJN Onneghen’s Office

Another one hundred fifty-nine persons were injured, including 84 who were hospitalised, many with broken bones and head wounds.

The number of dead is expected to rise as rescue workers comb through affected areas.

READ:  Saudi Cuts Oil Output As OPEC Points To 2019 Surplus

Papua military spokesperson, Colonel Muhammad Aidi, says more than sixteen hundred rescuers, including soldiers and police, faced difficulties on Tuesday in clearing huge piles of debris because of shortages of heavy equipment.

READ:  Comoros VP Stripped Of Key Duties

Continue Reading

World News

UPDATES: Dutch Police Arrest Suspect In Deadly Tram Shooting

Published

on

By

Dutch Police Arrest Suspect In Deadly Tram Shooting

Dutch police have arrested The suspect in the deadly tram shooting in Utrecht, Netherlands, officials say.

Motive for the shooting remains unclear; police have said they were investigating a “possible terrorist motive” for the attack, but reports have also emerged that the shooting might have its roots in a family dispute.

READ:  MTN, Glo, Airtel, Fined $7 Million For Poor Services In Ghana

The shooting incident occurred in the Dutch city of Utrecht where a gunman opened fire on a tram in the central part of the city on Monday killing at least three persons and wounding nine.

READ:  UN Chief Urges Mali's Leaders 'Not To Go Backwards' In Election Row

Utrecht police have released a photo of the suspect. He is Gokmen Tanis, a 37-year-old Turkish national.

Continue Reading

World News

Utrecht Shooting: Gunman Kills 3 People On Dutch Tram In Possible Terrorist Attack

Published

on

By

Utrecht Shooting: Gunman Kills 3 People On Dutch Tram In Possible Terrorist Attack

A shooting incident has occurred just a few hours ago in the Dutch city of Utrecht where a gunman opened fire on a tram in the central part of the city on Monday killing at least three persons and wounding nine.

READ:  Dash Hopes For Illegal Gold Miners Trapped In Indonesia

The terror threat level around the city has been raised to maximum. They say the incident is being considered a possible terrorist incident.

Utrecht police have released a photo of the suspect.  He is Gokmen Tanis, a 37-year-old Turkish national.

READ:  UN Chief Urges Mali's Leaders 'Not To Go Backwards' In Election Row

Police say there is the possibility there could be more than one shooter involved in the attack.

In neighboring Germany, police were carrying out checks on trains from the Netherlands and manning highways as well as mirror border crossings.

READ:  Snow Avalanches Bury 11, Kill One In Kashmir

Continue Reading

Trending

Subscribe to ANN News Alert

Be the first to receive the latest news from Africa and around the world.

%d bloggers like this: