Gambia Launches Appeal Over Olufade's Eligibility – African News Network | Latest African News | Nigerian News | Breaking News
Connect with us

Sports News

Gambia Launches Appeal Over Olufade’s Eligibility

Published

on

Gambia Launches Appeal Over Olufade's Eligibility

The Gambia Football Federation (GFF) has appealed to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) over the eligibility of Togo defender Adewale Olufade, who played in an Africa Cup of Nations Qualifier between the two countries.

READ:  Australian Open: Serena Williams Cruises Into Third Round

Last month, the Confederation of African Football (CAF) dismissed the GFF’s initial appeal which claimed Olufade did not meet the necessary criteria to play for the sparrow hawks.

GFF’s communications director Baboucarr Camara says a Belgian lawyer who has vast experience in sports law has been appointed to defend the case at the court of arbitration for sport.  They expressed optimism that, quote, “justice will be served this time around,” end quote.

READ:  Prince Charles Applauds Gambia For Returning To The Commonwealth Of Nations

CAF ruled the Togolese Football Federation was able to prove that Olufade was born in Togo, making him eligible to play.

Sports News

Women’s World Cup: Nine Countries Show Interest In Hosting

Published

on

By

Women's World Cup: Nine Countries Shows Interest In Hosting

Nine countries have expressed interest in hosting the 2023 Women’s World Cup.

Argentina, Australia, Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Japan, New Zealand and South Africa have formally declared their interest.

READ:  War-Torn South Sudan Launches Youth Rugby League For Peace

A joint bid for the tournament could also be made by North and South Korea.

World football’s governing body, FIFA, says the deadline to submit bidding registration is the middle of April.

READ:  Prince Charles Applauds Gambia For Returning To The Commonwealth Of Nations

Continue Reading

Sports News

Olivier Giroud Banned From Driving For Six Months For Speeding

Published

on

By

Olivier Giroud Banned From Driving For Six Months For Speeding

Chelsea forward Olivier Giroud has on Tuesday been banned from driving for six months after admitting to speeding in his Bentley in his fourth offence in nine months.

READ:  Gambian Police Kill Two Men

The 32-year-old French international, who helped lead the team to World Cup victory, has been banned after he was caught driving at 60mph (97km/h) in a 50mph (80km/h) zone, 10mph above the speed limit in Willesden on 2 May 2018.

READ:  Don’t Force Victor Moses Out Of Retirement, Mabo Tells Rohr

At Willesden Magistrates’ Court, Giroud was disqualified from driving after three penalty points were added to his licence, taking him to the 12-point limit. Neither the Chelsea star nor his lawyer was in court having admitted to the offence in November.

READ:  Enugu Rangers Qualify For CAF Confederation Cup Group Stage

Continue Reading

Sports News

Super Falcons: Dennerby Invites 30 Home-Based Players Ahead Of World Cup

Published

on

By

Super Falcons: Dennerby Invites 30 Home-Based Players Ahead Of World Cup

Super Falcons head coach, Thomas Dennerby, has invited to camp 30 home-based players for preparations as this summer’s Women’s World Cup Finals enter a new gear.

READ:  Gabon court orders PM to resign, dissolves parliament over delayed polls

The nine-time African champions are scheduled to play two matches in Spain in the first week of April to further put themselves in shape for the finals.  They have been to tournaments in China and Cyprus to prepare for the big global fiesta in France, playing six matches in all.

READ:  ITTF Upgrades Price Money For Nigerian Open

Continue Reading

Trending

Subscribe to ANN News Alert

Be the first to receive the latest news from Africa and around the world.

%d bloggers like this: