New Zealand: 49 Killed In Mass Shooting At Two Mosques In Christchurch – World News – African News Network | Latest African News | Nigerian News | Breaking News
Connect with us

World News

New Zealand: 49 Killed In Mass Shooting At Two Mosques In Christchurch

Published

on

New Zealand: 49 Killed In Mass Shooting At Two Mosques In Christchurch

49 persons have been killed and 20 seriously injured in two mass shootings at mosques in the New Zealand city of Christchurch.

Forty-one were killed at the al Noor mosque. Seven died at the Linwood mosque, and one person died at the hospital.

READ:  Pakistani Taliban Seeks Fate Of Leader After U.S. Strike In Afghanistan

Police say four persons, including three men and one woman, have been taken into custody. They do not believe there are any other suspects but said it was still an open investigation.

READ:  Al-Shabaab And Ethiopian Clan Militias Clash Claims Seven Lives

Police said a male, in his late 20s, has been charged with murder and will appear at the Christchurch court Saturday morning local time.

In a social media post just before the attack, an account that is believed to belong to one of the attackers posted a link to an 87-page manifesto that was filled with anti-immigrant, anti-Muslim ideas and explanations for an attack. The manifesto was not signed.

READ:  At Least 8 Killed In Pakistan Mine Blast

World News

New Zealand To Confront Erdogan Over Christchurch Mosque Attack Comment

Published

on

By

New Zealand To Confront Erdogan Over Christchurch Mosque Shootings Comment

New Zealand’s Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has on Wednesday said that Foreign Minister Winston Peters would travel to Turkey to “confront” Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on comments made concerning the Christchurch mosque shootings and over his decision to use footage of the Christchurch terrorist attack at his election rallies.

READ:  Thailand To Hold First Elections After Military Rule

In the wake of the twin attacks, which saw 50 killed and dozens injured, Erdogan said Turkey would make the suspected attacker “pay for it” if New Zealand should do nothing about it.

READ:  Pakistani Taliban Seeks Fate Of Leader After U.S. Strike In Afghanistan

The first burials of victims from the massacre in Christchurch, New Zealand were held on Wednesday, five days after fifty persons were gunned down at two mosques in the city.

The bodies of 30 victims had been approved for release to be reunited with their families, Ardern said.

READ:  Zimbabweans Reflect On Fall Of Mugabe

Burials for the victims began on Wednesday morning amid aggravation over the delay, as under Islam bodies are usually buried within 24 hours.

Continue Reading

World News

Britain’s Theresa May Writes EU To Delay Brexit Till June

Published

on

By

Britain's Theresa May Writes EU To Delay Brexit Till June

British Prime Minister, Theresa May, has beaten the Thursday deadline for requesting a Brexit extension from the European Union.  She requested an extension till June.  The request for extension is necessary because the country will not be ready to leave by the original divorce date of March the 29th.   In fact, the country is now much further away from being ready.

READ:  High Oil Prices Hurt Consumers, Dent Fuel Demand - IEA Chief

Speaker of the House, John Bercow, has ruled that Prime Minister may cannot present her deal for another vote unless there is a significant change in it.  That ruling has brought a Brexit that was teetering and limping to a standstill.

READ:  Melania Trump Has 'Some Heavy Lifting To Do' On Her Solo Africa Trip

At the moment, British law says its membership of the EU will end on March the 29th regardless of whether there is a deal in place.

All eyes will be on a pivotal summit of the European council on Thursday during which European leaders could discuss may’s extension request.  The EU may decide to grant the extension till June, or it could propose years.

READ:  Pakistani Taliban Seeks Fate Of Leader After U.S. Strike In Afghanistan

Continue Reading

World News

New Zealand: Families Bury Victims From Christchurch Attack

Published

on

By

New Zealand: Families Bury Victims From Christchurch Attack

The first burials of victims from the massacre in Christchurch, New Zealand were held on Wednesday, five days after fifty persons were gunned down at two mosques in the city.

READ:  Congo: CENI Postpones Announcement Of Results

Thirteen bodies were released by Wednesday afternoon.  Police authorities say most of the rest of the corpses will be released by the evening.

Prime Minister, Jacinda Adern, says she “shared the frustration” of the families who had not been able to bury their loved ones.

READ:  Thailand To Hold First Elections After Military Rule

Eight victims remain in critical condition in intensive care.  Twenty-nine persons overall are still in Christchurch hospital receiving treatment for injuries sustained during the mass shootings.

READ:  Zimbabweans Reflect On Fall Of Mugabe

Continue Reading

Trending

Subscribe to ANN News Alert

Be the first to receive the latest news from Africa and around the world.

%d bloggers like this: