Poland's Catholic Church Set To Release Sex Abuse Statistics – World News – African News Network | Latest African News | Nigerian News | Breaking News
Connect with us

World News

Poland’s Catholic Church Set To Release Sex Abuse Statistics

Published

on

Poland's Catholic Church Set To Release Sex Abuse Statistics

Poland’s Catholic church leaders are preparing to publish statistics on the abuse of minors by priests since 1990.

Archbishop Stanislaw Gadecki say the documented cases are to be published during a news conference Thursday.

READ:  DR Congo President Keeps Everyone Guessing Over Plans

Church leaders in predominantly catholic Poland have admitted to cases of abuse of minors by priests but have not revealed their number.

A private foundation supporting victims of abuse has given Pope Francis a list of more than ninety court verdicts on priests and hundreds of cases of alleged abuse.

READ:  Russia, China Object To U.S. Proposal To Blacklist Russian Bank At U.N.

Recently, a statue of a prominent solidary-era priest was removed amid allegations the late reverend Henryk Jankowsky abused minors.  Jankowski was respected for his pro-democracy activities in the 1980s.

READ:  Theresa May’s Brexit Plan Faces Another Defeat In Parliament

Church leaders have been discussing abuse and ways of protecting children during a three-day meeting in Warsaw.

World News

New Zealand To Confront Erdogan Over Christchurch Mosque Attack Comment

Published

on

By

New Zealand To Confront Erdogan Over Christchurch Mosque Shootings Comment

New Zealand’s Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has on Wednesday said that Foreign Minister Winston Peters would travel to Turkey to “confront” Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on comments made concerning the Christchurch mosque shootings and over his decision to use footage of the Christchurch terrorist attack at his election rallies.

READ:  27 ISIL Children Arrive Home From Iraq - Russian Envoy

In the wake of the twin attacks, which saw 50 killed and dozens injured, Erdogan said Turkey would make the suspected attacker “pay for it” if New Zealand should do nothing about it.

READ:  US Increases Reward For Info On Al-Qaeda Leaders In Africa Attacks

The first burials of victims from the massacre in Christchurch, New Zealand were held on Wednesday, five days after fifty persons were gunned down at two mosques in the city.

The bodies of 30 victims had been approved for release to be reunited with their families, Ardern said.

READ:  Russia, China Object To U.S. Proposal To Blacklist Russian Bank At U.N.

Burials for the victims began on Wednesday morning amid aggravation over the delay, as under Islam bodies are usually buried within 24 hours.

Continue Reading

World News

Britain’s Theresa May Writes EU To Delay Brexit Till June

Published

on

By

Britain's Theresa May Writes EU To Delay Brexit Till June

British Prime Minister, Theresa May, has beaten the Thursday deadline for requesting a Brexit extension from the European Union.  She requested an extension till June.  The request for extension is necessary because the country will not be ready to leave by the original divorce date of March the 29th.   In fact, the country is now much further away from being ready.

READ:  US Increases Reward For Info On Al-Qaeda Leaders In Africa Attacks

Speaker of the House, John Bercow, has ruled that Prime Minister may cannot present her deal for another vote unless there is a significant change in it.  That ruling has brought a Brexit that was teetering and limping to a standstill.

READ:  Panic And Devastation After Indonesian Tsunami

At the moment, British law says its membership of the EU will end on March the 29th regardless of whether there is a deal in place.

All eyes will be on a pivotal summit of the European council on Thursday during which European leaders could discuss may’s extension request.  The EU may decide to grant the extension till June, or it could propose years.

READ:  DR Congo President Keeps Everyone Guessing Over Plans

Continue Reading

World News

New Zealand: Families Bury Victims From Christchurch Attack

Published

on

By

New Zealand: Families Bury Victims From Christchurch Attack

The first burials of victims from the massacre in Christchurch, New Zealand were held on Wednesday, five days after fifty persons were gunned down at two mosques in the city.

READ:  China Central Bank Injects $83 Billion Into Economy

Thirteen bodies were released by Wednesday afternoon.  Police authorities say most of the rest of the corpses will be released by the evening.

Prime Minister, Jacinda Adern, says she “shared the frustration” of the families who had not been able to bury their loved ones.

READ:  Longest Total Lunar Eclipse Of The Century Happening This July

Eight victims remain in critical condition in intensive care.  Twenty-nine persons overall are still in Christchurch hospital receiving treatment for injuries sustained during the mass shootings.

READ:  Buhari Tells May He Is Committed To Free And Fair 2019 Elections

Continue Reading

Trending

Subscribe to ANN News Alert

Be the first to receive the latest news from Africa and around the world.

%d bloggers like this: