UN To Seek Billions Of Dollars In Aid For Syria – World News – African News Network | Latest African News | Nigerian News | Breaking News
Connect with us

World News

UN To Seek Billions Of Dollars In Aid For Syria

Published

on

UN To Seek Billions Of Dollars In Aid For Syria

The United Nations is seeking billions of dollars in additional aid for Syria, hoping to overcome fatigue among donors after eight years of civil war and divisions over how to deal with Syrian president Bashar Al-Assad.

READ:  U.S. Imposes Sanctions On Russia For Nerve Agent Attack In UK

Nearly twelve million persons, many of them children, need emergency aid in Syria, and the U.N. Is looking for more than three billion dollars for victims there, and five and a half billion dollars for refugees in the region.

READ:  Brexit, Trade And Security Are All On The Agenda During May's Kenya Visit

Federica Mogherini, European Union foreign policy chief, said at a UN conference the European Union, the world’s biggest aid donor, does not want the people of Syria forgotten at a time when the international community seems to care a little bit less.

READ:  39 Parties Sign MoU To Unseat President Buhari

United Nations says Syria has become the world’s largest refugee crisis, with more than five and a half million Syrians fleeing  Jordan, Lebanon, Iraq and Egypt.

World News

New Zealand To Confront Erdogan Over Christchurch Mosque Attack Comment

Published

on

By

New Zealand To Confront Erdogan Over Christchurch Mosque Shootings Comment

New Zealand’s Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has on Wednesday said that Foreign Minister Winston Peters would travel to Turkey to “confront” Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on comments made concerning the Christchurch mosque shootings and over his decision to use footage of the Christchurch terrorist attack at his election rallies.

READ:  Greek Fire A Tragedy, But Not A Surprise

In the wake of the twin attacks, which saw 50 killed and dozens injured, Erdogan said Turkey would make the suspected attacker “pay for it” if New Zealand should do nothing about it.

READ:  U.S. Imposes Sanctions On Russia For Nerve Agent Attack In UK

The first burials of victims from the massacre in Christchurch, New Zealand were held on Wednesday, five days after fifty persons were gunned down at two mosques in the city.

The bodies of 30 victims had been approved for release to be reunited with their families, Ardern said.

READ:  Student Volunteers Provide Free Education To Displaced Children In Somalia

Burials for the victims began on Wednesday morning amid aggravation over the delay, as under Islam bodies are usually buried within 24 hours.

Continue Reading

World News

Britain’s Theresa May Writes EU To Delay Brexit Till June

Published

on

By

Britain's Theresa May Writes EU To Delay Brexit Till June

British Prime Minister, Theresa May, has beaten the Thursday deadline for requesting a Brexit extension from the European Union.  She requested an extension till June.  The request for extension is necessary because the country will not be ready to leave by the original divorce date of March the 29th.   In fact, the country is now much further away from being ready.

READ:  U.S. Imposes Sanctions On Russia For Nerve Agent Attack In UK

Speaker of the House, John Bercow, has ruled that Prime Minister may cannot present her deal for another vote unless there is a significant change in it.  That ruling has brought a Brexit that was teetering and limping to a standstill.

READ:  Turkish Newspaper Names 15 Saudis In Khashoggi Case

At the moment, British law says its membership of the EU will end on March the 29th regardless of whether there is a deal in place.

All eyes will be on a pivotal summit of the European council on Thursday during which European leaders could discuss may’s extension request.  The EU may decide to grant the extension till June, or it could propose years.

READ:  Indonesian Floods: Death Toll Rises To 89

Continue Reading

World News

New Zealand: Families Bury Victims From Christchurch Attack

Published

on

By

New Zealand: Families Bury Victims From Christchurch Attack

The first burials of victims from the massacre in Christchurch, New Zealand were held on Wednesday, five days after fifty persons were gunned down at two mosques in the city.

READ:  Brexit, Trade And Security Are All On The Agenda During May's Kenya Visit

Thirteen bodies were released by Wednesday afternoon.  Police authorities say most of the rest of the corpses will be released by the evening.

Prime Minister, Jacinda Adern, says she “shared the frustration” of the families who had not been able to bury their loved ones.

READ:  Shithole comments: Buhari gives Trump benefit of doubt

Eight victims remain in critical condition in intensive care.  Twenty-nine persons overall are still in Christchurch hospital receiving treatment for injuries sustained during the mass shootings.

READ:  Turkish Newspaper Names 15 Saudis In Khashoggi Case

Continue Reading

Trending

Subscribe to ANN News Alert

Be the first to receive the latest news from Africa and around the world.

%d bloggers like this: