US-backed Syrian Forces Resume Assault Against ISIL Enclave – African News Network | Latest African News | Nigerian News | Breaking News
Connect with us

World News

US-backed Syrian Forces Resume Assault Against ISIL Enclave

Published

on

US-backed Syrian Forces Resumes Assault Against ISIL Enclave

The US-backed Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) have resumed their assault against the last ISIL enclave in eastern Syria.

The attack is aimed at wiping out the last vestige of the group’s self-declared “caliphate” that once spanned one-third of Iraq and Syria.

READ:  UK Lawmaker Suggests Recolonization Of Zimbabwe Amid Protests

Explosions and fires illuminated columns of smoke over Baghouz village after the Kurdish-led SDF launched the offensive on Sunday evening.

The fighting began after a deadline expired for the group’s armed men to surrender.

Rustam Hasake, a SDF commander, said several ISIL tunnels were destroyed by the advancing troops.

READ:  Venezuela: Maduro Reveals Secret Meetings With US Envoy

Hasake says they have been able to liberate a number of positions and are currently advancing with air and ground support by the international coalition.

The SDF have been poised to advance into the enclave for weeks, but have repeatedly held back to allow for the evacuation of civilians, many of them wives and children of ISIL fighters.

READ:  Nigeria's Inflation Rate Drops Again - NBS

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

World News

Indonesian Floods: Death Toll Rises To 89

Published

on

By

Indonesian Floods: Death Toll Rises To 89

The death toll from flash floods and mudslides, triggered by days of torrential downpours in Indonesia’s easternmost Papua province, has risen to 89, with dozens of others missing.

Spokesperson for the National Disaster Mitigation Agency, Sutopo Purwo, says 89 bodies had been pulled from the mud and wreckage of collapsed homes by Tuesday.

READ:  No Renegotiating Of Brexit Deal, EU Slams Theresa May

Another one hundred fifty-nine persons were injured, including 84 who were hospitalised, many with broken bones and head wounds.

The number of dead is expected to rise as rescue workers comb through affected areas.

READ:  Easier Movement In Assad's Syria Brings Some Economic Reward

Papua military spokesperson, Colonel Muhammad Aidi, says more than sixteen hundred rescuers, including soldiers and police, faced difficulties on Tuesday in clearing huge piles of debris because of shortages of heavy equipment.

READ:  Iran Warns North Korea On Deal With United States

Continue Reading

World News

UPDATES: Dutch Police Arrest Suspect In Deadly Tram Shooting

Published

on

By

Dutch Police Arrest Suspect In Deadly Tram Shooting

Dutch police have arrested The suspect in the deadly tram shooting in Utrecht, Netherlands, officials say.

Motive for the shooting remains unclear; police have said they were investigating a “possible terrorist motive” for the attack, but reports have also emerged that the shooting might have its roots in a family dispute.

READ:  Venezuela Shuts Schools, Suspends Working Hours Amid Power Outage

The shooting incident occurred in the Dutch city of Utrecht where a gunman opened fire on a tram in the central part of the city on Monday killing at least three persons and wounding nine.

READ:  Confab To Push UN’s Libya Peace Plan Holds In Italy

Utrecht police have released a photo of the suspect. He is Gokmen Tanis, a 37-year-old Turkish national.

Continue Reading

World News

Utrecht Shooting: Gunman Kills 3 People On Dutch Tram In Possible Terrorist Attack

Published

on

By

Utrecht Shooting: Gunman Kills 3 People On Dutch Tram In Possible Terrorist Attack

A shooting incident has occurred just a few hours ago in the Dutch city of Utrecht where a gunman opened fire on a tram in the central part of the city on Monday killing at least three persons and wounding nine.

READ:  U.S. Job Growth Slows In July, Unemployment Rate Dips

The terror threat level around the city has been raised to maximum. They say the incident is being considered a possible terrorist incident.

Utrecht police have released a photo of the suspect.  He is Gokmen Tanis, a 37-year-old Turkish national.

READ:  Venezuela: Maduro Reveals Secret Meetings With US Envoy

Police say there is the possibility there could be more than one shooter involved in the attack.

In neighboring Germany, police were carrying out checks on trains from the Netherlands and manning highways as well as mirror border crossings.

READ:  Easier Movement In Assad's Syria Brings Some Economic Reward

Continue Reading

Trending

Subscribe to ANN News Alert

Be the first to receive the latest news from Africa and around the world.

%d bloggers like this: