Nigeria Decides 2019: INEC Adjusts Budget To N143Bn – Nigerian News – African News Network | Latest African News | Nigerian News | Breaking News
Connect with us

Nigerian News

Nigeria Decides 2019: INEC Adjusts Budget To N143Bn

Published

on

Nigeria Decides 2019

The Independent National Electoral Commission, (INEC) has adjusted its budget for 2019 elections from N189 billion to N143 billion in compliance with directive from the National Assembly.

The Chairman of the National Assembly Joint Committee on INEC, Sen. Suleiman Nazif, made this known to newsmen after a meeting in Abuja on Tuesday, saying that INEC had effected the changes.

He said that the commission submitted a new budget reflecting N143 billion as originally requested by President Muhammadu Buhari.

Nazif disclosed that a sub-committee had been set up to look at the proposal and to point out any area of infraction to the committee, adding that the committee was mandated to complete its assignment on Aug. 29.

The National Assembly Joint Committee on INEC had on Monday, recommended N143 billion for approval for the commission’s preparation ahead of the 2019 general elections.

This is in line with President Muhammadu Buhari’s request on July 11 when he sought the legislators’ approval of N242 billion for the elections.

Specifically, he said that N164.10 billion of the funds was urgently needed to enable INEC to commence preparations for the elections, while the balance of N78.34 billon would be provided for in 2019 Budget.

The President had in his letter of request explained that the urgently needed N164 billion would be allocated as follows: INEC, N143.51 billion; Office of National Security Adviser, N3.86 billion and Department of State Services (DSS), N2.90 billion.

Others are Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, N1.85 billion; Nigeria Police Force, N11.46 billion and Nigeria Immigration Service, N530.1million.

The Senate Committee on INEC had on Aug. 16, queried the commission for presenting a budgetary proposal of N189 billion for the elections, saying it was at variance with the president’s for the polls.

This was because, though Buhari had in his letter requested for N189 billion for the 2019 elections, he said that N143 billion was urgently needed by INEC to begin preparations for the polls.

The money is expected to be vired from the 2018 Budget, especially from the N587 billion, which the president said was inserted by the lawmakers into the budget, raising it from N8.6 trillion to 9.12 trillion.

NAN

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Nigerian News

Kidnappers In Ondo State Kill One Of Their Victims

Published

on

By

Kidnappers In Ondo State Kill One Of Their Victims

Kidnappers in Ondo state are said to have killed one of their victims, a lecturer at the Rufus Giwa polytechnic in Owo, six days after they were abducted. Taiwo Akinyemi was reportedly killed on Sunday.

The suspected Fulani gunmen seized four persons, including the deceased, on the Akure-Owo expressway in Owo local government area last week.

They have released the three other victims who are staff members of the federal medical center, Owo.

The gunmen were reported to have tied the body of the fifty-two-year-old Akinyemi to a tree in bush where it was found. He was killed because his family could no pay their ransom demand on time.

Governor Rotimi Akeredolu joined lecturers and students of the polytechnic on Monday in a procession on campus as to respect and honor the late lecturer. Akeredolu described Akinyemi’s death as unfortunate.

Chris Olowolade, Chairman of the Senior Staff Association of Nigerian Polytechnics, Rugipo chapter, said the kidnappers originally asked for a one hundred million Naira ransom which was reduced to seven million Naira after two days. The kidnappers later further reduced it to half a million Naira.

Continue Reading

Nigerian News

ASUU And Nigerian Government Reach Partial Agreement

Published

on

By

ASUU And Nigerian Government Reach Partial Agreement

Meanwhile, Labor Minister, Dr.Chris Ngige, has announced at a reconciliation meeting in Abuja that the government and the academic staff union of universities, ASUU, have reached a partial agreement. He says this should resolve the strike which started in early November.

The minister said they discussed issues related to agreements they had on shortfall in salaries of some federal universities’ workers and lecturers.  He said ASUU has submitted a list to the Accountant-General’s office, and the government has agreed that the presidential initiative on continuous auditing would cross-check that list by Wednesday.

Continue Reading

Nigerian News

SSANU To Embark On 3-Day Nationwide Protest

Published

on

By

SSANU To Embark On 3-Day Nationwide Protest

The Senior Staff Association of Nigerian Universities, SSANU, says it would embark on three-day nationwide protest beginning in a week.

Minister of Labor and Employment, Senator Chris Ngige, announced that the federal government would secure eight billion Naira within five weeks to pay NASU’s joint action committee.

The Union’s public relations officer, Abdussobur Salaam says the protest is about the government’s non-implementation of an agreement it reached with the union.

The Non-Academic Staff Union of Universities, NASU, and the National Association of Academic Technologists, NAAT, had embarked on a nationwide strike in December last year. The action was suspended in march.

Continue Reading

Trending

Subscribe to ANN News Alert

Be the first to receive the latest news from Africa and around the world.

%d bloggers like this: