New Fighting In Libya Capital After Truce Collapses – African News – African News Network | Latest African News | Nigerian News | Breaking News
Connect with us

African News

New Fighting In Libya Capital After Truce Collapses

Published

on

New Fighting In Libya Capital After Truce Collapses

Fresh fighting erupted in the Libyan capital on Wednesday after the collapse of a truce, a witness and military source said, after the UN called for calm.

A military officer with forces loyal to the UN-backed Government of National Accord said there had been intermittent fighting in Tripoli’s southern suburbs.

“A combined force from the ministry of defence and (ministry of) interior of the GNA led an offensive against positions of the 7th Brigade,” he said.

The militia had been trying to advance along the road to Tripoli’s international airport which has largely been closed since fighting in 2014.

The 7th Brigade supposedly operates under the GNA’s defence ministry.

But on Monday Interior Minister Abdessalam Ashour said security forces were fighting the militia, which hails from the town of Tarhuna southeast of Tripoli.

Those clashes left at least five people dead and 33 wounded, according to a health ministry toll, before a truce was reached in the evening.

Fighting resumed on Wednesday in the Salaheddin neighbourhood of southern Tripoli, a resident said.

He reported machineguns and anti-aircraft guns being fired, which could be heard over the phone.

Overnight the UN Support Mission in Libya warned of attempts to “tamper with the security (of) Tripoli and its residents”.

“There is no justification for the bloodshed. UNSMIL calls on all to spare lives, stop military mobilisation and allow for mediation,” the mission wrote on Twitter.

The UN’s plea followed reports that forces from the city of Misrata, 200km east of Tripoli, intended to head to the capital.

Powerful armed groups from Misrata spearheaded the “Fajr Libya” coalition of militias which seized Tripoli in 2014.

The Libyan capital has been at the centre of a battle for influence between armed groups since dictator Muammar Gaddafi was ousted in 2011.

News24

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

African News

EU Rejects Bid To Unfreeze Mubarak’s Assets

Published

on

By

EU Rejects Bid To Unfreeze Mubarak's Assets

Egypt’s former president, Hosni Mubarak’s bid for EU to unfreeze his assets in Europe was rejected on Wednesday.  The freeze was placed on his assets after his ouster in the 2011 revolution.

European union member countries imposed the sanctions in March 2011 based on lawsuits filed against Mubarak and his family in Egypt for alleged embezzlement of state funds.

After those countries – grouped in the European council – renewed the sanctions in 2017 and 2018, Mubarak asked the EU’s general court to annul them.

After Mubarak’s ouster, Islamist president Mohamed Morsi took power in 2012 before the military toppled him in 2013 following mass protests against Morsi’s rule.

Former military chief Abdel Fatah Al-Sisi became president later that year.

Continue Reading

African News

Thousands Of Voting Machines And Ballot Boxes Destroyed In DRC Electoral Commission Fire

Published

on

By

Thousands Of Voting Machines And Ballot Boxes Destroyed In DRC Electoral Commission Fire

Thousand of voting machines and ballot boxes were destroyed when an electoral commission building in Congo’s capital, Kinshasa was razed in a fire. The machines and ballot boxes were to be used in the presidential elections ten days away.

The electoral commission says this would not hamper the election process, but that it is looking into the cause and extent of the fire.  It says machines from other parts of the country would be brought in to replace the ones consumed in the fire.

Presidential adviser Barnabe Kikaya Bin Karubi blames the fire on those he called criminals. He said most of the equipment meant for the polls in Kinshasa, the capital was destroyed in the fire.   More than 15 percent of the Democratic Republic of Congo’s population lives in the capital.

Meanwhile, the UK is now advising its citizens against “all but essential travel” to any part of DR Congo. It has also urged non-essential diplomatic staff to leave the country by next Monday.

Continue Reading

African News

Ghana To Transport Essential Medical Supplies To Rural Areas By Drones

Published

on

By

Ghana To Transport Essential Medical Supplies To Rural Areas By Drones

Ghana Medical Association is reacting negatively to a government decision to transport blood and essential medical supplies to rural areas in the country by unmanned drones. The service has been contracted to an American company.

Deputy minister of information Pius Enam Hadzide said he was shocked by the GMA reaction over what he says would improve health services.

The Ghana Medical Association says the use of drones violates the country’s primary health care policy. It also said it would be counter-productive as it would cause more doctors and nurses to be unemployed in the administration of the drugs.

The drone goes into effect next year.  It was approved by parliament by a majority of a hundred and two to fifty-eight.

Rwanda already uses drones for the same purpose.

Continue Reading

Trending

Subscribe to ANN News Alert

Be the first to receive the latest news from Africa and around the world.

%d bloggers like this: