President Muhammadu Buhari is reported to have ignored pressure for the reinstatement of sacked Director-General of Department of State Service (DSS), Mr Lawal Daura.
The Nation said that President had foreclosed the recall despite pressure from some forces, including members of his kitchen cabinet.
It reported that some of the lobbyists went to see the President in London to mount pressure for the reversal of Daura’s sack.
Daura was sacked by then Acting President Yemi Osinbajo for the blockade of the entrance of the National Assembly, which caused outrage in the country.
According to the Nation, “those against the ex-security chief’s return argued that his sack saved the nation’s democracy and boosted the Buhari administration’s democratic credentials.
The battle has since shifted to the Presidency, over the search for a new Director-General.’’
While some people want the position zoned to the north, others support the confirmation of the Acting Director General, Mr. Mathew Seiyefa, who is from Bayelsa state.
“The forces pushing for Daura’s reinstatement have lost the battle because the President has foreclosed his return.
“The President has no plans to bring back Daura under any guise. He believes this administration is one and will not overrule his deputy. He is a man of discipline and not an ethnic bigot.
“What happened is that some ministers, a few kitchen cabinet members and influential people close to the President sneaked into London to meet with Buhari to overturn Daura’s sack,’’ the Nation reported.
Seiyefa, is the most senior Director in the DSS. A Twitter post by the PresidencyNigeria said he will act as Director-General until further notice.
Lawal was sacked over the unauthorised blockade of the National Assembly, preventing some senators and workers from gaining entrance.
Osinbajo described the blockade as a gross violation of constitutional order, rule of law and all accepted notions of law and order.
According to him, the unlawful act which was done without the knowledge of the Presidency is condemnable and completely unacceptable.
Professor Osinbajo assured Nigerians that all persons within the law enforcement apparatus who participated in this travesty will be identified and subjected to appropriate disciplinary action.
Daura, born 5 August 1953, was appointed by President Muhammadu Buhari on 2 July 2015, following the dismissal of his predecessor Ita Ekpeyong.
He once worked in the service and retired.
Seiyefa, Daura’s successor had earlier served as the Director of the Institute of Security Studies (ISS), before he was transferred to the DSS headquarters.
With about 34 years of experience, Seiyefa had served in different capacities, including State Director in Osun, Akwa Ibom, and Lagos states.
Seiyefa is also a member of the National Institute.
Group Seeks Compensation For Building Collapse Victims In Lagos, Oyo
Advocacy group, Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project, has called for investigation into circumstances surrounding buildings collapse incidents in Lagos and Oyo states last week.
SERAP said the two states should take immediate steps to investigate the latest incidents and bring to justice complicit developers and contractors.
SERAP’s Deputy Director, Kolawole Oludare, says the group is ready to offer free legal services to affected families.
Building Collapse: Lagos Demolishes 13 Buildings
Five more buildings in Lagos Island have been brought down by the Lagos state government, bringing the number of demolished buildings to thirteen.
Lagos state building control agency embarked on this demolition on Friday to prevent another disaster after Wednesday’s collapsed building incident in Ita-Faji, Lagos Island.
Twenty persons were killed; forty-five others were injured when a four-storey building, housing a school at its top floor, collapsed. Most of the dead were children.
Commissioner for Physical Planning and Urban Development, Rotimi Ogunleye described the exercise as a holistic response to the challenges posed by derelict structures and unapproved schools.
The government has taken over the site of the collapsed Massey street building.
Government officials say the ministry had identified 149 distressed and defective buildings, of which 40 have been demolished.
10 Killed In Attack On Kaduna Community
Ten persons have been killed in a fresh attack in Nandu community in Kaduna State.
Chairman Sanga local government council, Charles Danladi, says the attack happened in Nandu village in which eleven houses were burnt.
This is happening at a time when the state struggles to contain repeated attacks in Kajuru local government area of the state for two months now.
Dozens of civilians have been killed there in communal violence believed to be between the Adara people and their Fulani neighbours.
- Group Seeks Compensation For Building Collapse Victims In Lagos, Oyo March 18, 2019
- Building Collapse: Lagos Demolishes 13 Buildings March 18, 2019
- 10 Killed In Attack On Kaduna Community March 18, 2019
- Proposal For UN To Study Climate Technologies Rejected March 18, 2019
- Tanzania: Stiegler’s Gorge Hydro-Electric Project To Produce Thousands Of Jobs March 18, 2019
Sports News7 days ago
Gambia Launches Appeal Over Olufade’s Eligibility
Education News4 days ago
JAMB Fixes April 11 For 2019 UTME
Sports News6 days ago
DR Congo Mbokani Recalled Ahead Of AFCON Qualifier
African News5 days ago
Trump Proposed Budget Deeply Cut Aid To Kenya
Sports News7 days ago
FIFA Urged To Probe Qatar World Cup Accusations
African News3 days ago
Cameroon: U.S. Official Calls On Cameroon To Release Opposition Leader
Nigerian News3 days ago
NNPC Awaits Order To Take Over OML From Shell
Business News5 days ago
Boeing Shares Continue To Slide As Countries Ground 737 MAX Planes