Migrant Boat Sinks Off Tunisia, At Least Five Dead – African News – African News Network | Latest African News | Nigerian News | Breaking News
Connect with us

African News

Migrant Boat Sinks Off Tunisia, At Least Five Dead

Published

on

Migrant Boat Sinks Off Tunisia

Tunisia’s coast guard said it recovered the bodies of five migrants on Thursday whose boat sank as they tried to cross the Mediterranean to the Italian island of Lampedusa.

Crews were now searching for another five Tunisians that relatives had said were also on the boat that set off this week from the southern coastal community of Zarzis, the coast guard added.

READ:  "Heartfelt joy" As First Ethiopia-Eritrea Flight In 20 Years Seals Peace Deal

Human traffickers are increasingly using Tunisia as a launch pad for migrants heading to Europe as the Libyan coast guard, aided by armed groups, has tightened controls.

READ:  African Migrants Reel As Israeli Law Cuts Into Salaries

Many Tunisian migrants say they are fleeing high unemployment and inflation – part of an economic crisis that hit after the toppling of autocrat Zine al-Abidine Ben Ali in 2011.

READ:  More Than 600 Migrants Stranded On The Mediterranean

At least 80 migrants died when their boat sank off the Tunisian coast in June, one of the worst migrant boat accidents in the North African country in recent years.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

African News

Morocco: Teachers Protest Over Poor Working Conditions

Published

on

By

Morocco: Teachers Protest Over Poor Working Condition

More than ten thousand Moroccan teachers have staged a new protest in the capital, Rabat, on Sunday to demand better working conditions.  This followed another demonstration that was broken up by police.

READ:  Tunisian Airport Workers Call Off Strike

These nationwide teacher strikes in Morocco have continued for three weeks and have drawn at least seventy-thousand public school teachers, marching across the country to protest against a new teacher employment contract they see as an attack on their rights and financial security.

READ:  9,822 Nigerians Have Returned From Libya, Other Countries – NEMA

Their demands include legal due process for teachers facing dismissal, protection of the right to strike, periodic pay increases, increased teacher training, improved student transport and construction of more schools.

READ:  Egypt, US Special Forces Hold Drills On Combating Terrorism

Continue Reading

African News

Cyclone Idai: Cases Of Cholera Reported In Storm-Hit Areas

Published

on

By

Cyclone Idai: Cases Of Cholera Reported In Hit Areas

Malawi, Mozambique, and Zimbabwe were hit last week by one of the biggest and most aggressive cyclones ever recorded in the Southern African region.  It took the storm a few hours to kill hundreds, topple homes, uproot trees and leave scores of residents submerged in water.

READ:  Tunisian Airport Workers Call Off Strike

Mozambique’s third largest city, Beira, received the largest share of the devastation.  The Port City was turned upside down.  The extent of the devastation is massive, and the city is still primarily without electricity, running water and mobile phone service.

READ:  9,822 Nigerians Have Returned From Libya, Other Countries – NEMA

Relief organizations, including the international federation of the red cross and red crescent societies, say some cases of cholera had already been reported.

Meanwhile, Zimbabwe storm victims now face grief and hunger.  The country’s entertainment stars have organized a concert to raise funds to help victims.  There is growing fear of starvation in communities that have been cut off by smashed bridges or destroyed roads.

READ:  Egypt, US Special Forces Hold Drills On Combating Terrorism

Continue Reading

African News

UN says Death Toll From Massacre In Mali Now Up To 134

Published

on

By

United Nations says Death Toll From Massacre In Mali Now 134

The United Nations says death toll from massacre in a village in Mali has risen to 134.

An ethnic Dogon militia, already blamed for scores of attacks in central Mali over the past year, is said to have attacked an ethnic village just before dawn on Saturday. The militia accused the ethnic community of having ties to jihadist groups.

READ:  Resizing Of Land 'Will Be A Big Test For Zim Govt To Rope In White Farmers'

A visiting UN representative said in Bamako the killings are an “unspeakable attack.”  Meanwhile, UN Secretary-General, Antonio Gutterres condemned the attack and called on Malian authorities to swiftly investigate and bring perpetrators to justice.

READ:  Egypt Freezes Assets Of Muslim Brotherhood Charities

Continue Reading

Trending

Subscribe to ANN News Alert

Be the first to receive the latest news from Africa and around the world.

%d bloggers like this: