Nigeria Decides 2019: INEC Adjusts Budget To N143Bn – Nigerian News – African News Network | Latest African News | Nigerian News | Breaking News
Connect with us

Nigerian News

Nigeria Decides 2019: INEC Adjusts Budget To N143Bn

Published

on

Nigeria Decides 2019

The Independent National Electoral Commission, (INEC) has adjusted its budget for 2019 elections from N189 billion to N143 billion in compliance with directive from the National Assembly.

The Chairman of the National Assembly Joint Committee on INEC, Sen. Suleiman Nazif, made this known to newsmen after a meeting in Abuja on Tuesday, saying that INEC had effected the changes.

He said that the commission submitted a new budget reflecting N143 billion as originally requested by President Muhammadu Buhari.

Nazif disclosed that a sub-committee had been set up to look at the proposal and to point out any area of infraction to the committee, adding that the committee was mandated to complete its assignment on Aug. 29.

READ:  Senate Asks NNPC, CBN To Explain Withdrawal Of $1.2b

The National Assembly Joint Committee on INEC had on Monday, recommended N143 billion for approval for the commission’s preparation ahead of the 2019 general elections.

This is in line with President Muhammadu Buhari’s request on July 11 when he sought the legislators’ approval of N242 billion for the elections.

Specifically, he said that N164.10 billion of the funds was urgently needed to enable INEC to commence preparations for the elections, while the balance of N78.34 billon would be provided for in 2019 Budget.

READ:  Niger Governor Meets With UK Investment Group

The President had in his letter of request explained that the urgently needed N164 billion would be allocated as follows: INEC, N143.51 billion; Office of National Security Adviser, N3.86 billion and Department of State Services (DSS), N2.90 billion.

Others are Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, N1.85 billion; Nigeria Police Force, N11.46 billion and Nigeria Immigration Service, N530.1million.

The Senate Committee on INEC had on Aug. 16, queried the commission for presenting a budgetary proposal of N189 billion for the elections, saying it was at variance with the president’s for the polls.

READ:  NASS Meets With INEC Chairman

This was because, though Buhari had in his letter requested for N189 billion for the 2019 elections, he said that N143 billion was urgently needed by INEC to begin preparations for the polls.

The money is expected to be vired from the 2018 Budget, especially from the N587 billion, which the president said was inserted by the lawmakers into the budget, raising it from N8.6 trillion to 9.12 trillion.

NAN

Nigerian News

NIMC Extends Diaspora Enrolment Of Nigerians To UK, UAE

Published

on

By

NIMC Extends Diaspora Enrolment Of Nigerians To UK, UAE

The National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) has extended enrolment of Nigerians under the diaspora registration programme to the United Kingdom and United Arab Emirates.

Commission spokesperson, Loveday Ogbonna, said the commission has decided to extend the enrolment to these two countries after the huge success in South Africa.

READ:  Okagbare’s Withdrawal Dampens Fans Morale At Asaba 2018

Ogbonna says the extension is in line with NIMC’s mandate to ensure all Nigerian citizens at home and abroad, as well as legal residents in Nigeria, were enrolled into the national identity database and issued the unique national identification number.

READ:  Blackouts In South Africa

Ogbonna said DEFCON systems limited, DSL, and the National Authentication Limited (NEAL) are the two Nigerian companies licensed by NIMC to handle the enrolment services across the globe to ensure best-in-class services and inclusivity.

He said the enrolment will involve demographic & biometric data capture of all Nigerian citizens residing in the two countries.

READ:  Senate Asks NNPC, CBN To Explain Withdrawal Of $1.2b

The UAE programme is scheduled to take off today, while the UK programme kicks off on Friday.

Continue Reading

Nigerian News

Offa Robbery: Court Grants Defence Request To Examine Gunshot Injuries

Published

on

By

Offa Robbery: Court Grants Defence Request To Examine Gunshot Injuries

A Kwara State High Court sitting in Ilorin has ruled in favor of the defence counsel who asked for an independent examination of the alleged gunshot injuries sustained by three accused persons alleged to have participated in last year’s robbery incident in Offa.

READ:  Nigerian Army Spokesman Announces Sudden Retirement

Thirty-three persons, including nine policemen, were killed during the robbery, while five accused persons are standing trial.

But the court refused a post-mortem examination on the corpse of the principal suspect in the robbery incident, Michael Adikwu, whom the accused persons claimed, was deliberately killed by a police inspector while in custody at the force headquarters in Abuja.

READ:  Niger Governor Meets With UK Investment Group

Earlier, the 5th accused person (Niyi Ogundiran), had narrated to the court how the police extracted confessional statements from him under duress.

The case has been adjourned till early April.

READ:  Machar Set For Peace Talks With Kiir

Continue Reading

Nigerian News

There Are Plans To Revisit And Deliver The National Carrier Project – Aviation Minister

Published

on

By

There Are Plans To Revisit And Deliver The National Carrier Project - Aviation Minister

Minister of State for Aviation, Hadi Sirika, has revealed that there are plans to deliver the national carrier project during president Buhari’s administration.

Sirika says the federal government will revisit the project which he describes as the brain-child of the president.  He said the president would not let it die.

READ:  Suspected Visa Racketeer Arraigned In Ibadan

The minister said this while defending the ministry’s budget before the senate committee on aviation in Abuja.

He said the ministry only suspended the project to put adequate measures in place.  He also expressed concern that Nigeria is not able to boast of a national carrier, despite being a huge aviation market.

READ:  Malawi President Mutharika Sacks His Deputy Ahead Of 2019 Presidential Polls

The minister says the national carrier project is a Public Private Partnership (PPP). The private sector will lead and deliver, while the government will play its role.

READ:  APC To Dislodge PDP In Delta State

He said the process would be transparent and would be done through local and international fora and media.

Continue Reading

Trending

Subscribe to ANN News Alert

Be the first to receive the latest news from Africa and around the world.

%d bloggers like this: