Facebook Says Security Breach Affected About 50 Million Accounts – Tech News – African News Network | Latest African News | Nigerian News | Breaking News
Connect with us

Tech News

Facebook Says Security Breach Affected About 50 Million Accounts

Published

on

Facebook Says Security Breach Affected About 50 Million Accounts

Facebook said it discovered a security breach earlier this week that affected almost 50 million accounts. The company said it’s investigating the breach, which allowed hackers to take over a person’s account.

The social-media network said in a statement on Friday that it has fixed the vulnerability and told law enforcement authorities about the breach. Shares declined about 3% on the news.

There was a loophole in Facebook’s code for a feature called “View As” that let people see what their account looks like to someone else. The vulnerability allowed people to steal access tokens – digital keys that keep people logged into Facebook so they don’t need to re-enter passwords. Once logged in, the attackers could take control.

“This attack exploited the complex interaction of multiple issues in our code. It stemmed from a change we made to our video uploading feature in July 2017, which impacted ‘View As’,” Facebook said. “The attackers not only needed to find this vulnerability and use it to get an access token, they then had to pivot from that account to others to steal more tokens.”

User data leaks, security breaches and the spread of misinformation have forced Facebook to confront hostile congressional hearings and uproar from users. This week’s breach adds to concern that Facebook is collecting too much personal information and not looking after it properly. Data is the lifeblood of its advertising business, so any limits on its activities that stem from these missteps could crimp the company’s earning power.

While access codes were taken from 50 million accounts in the recent breach, Facebook said it doesn’t know whether any personal information was gathered or misused from those accounts.

Everyone whose profile used the “View As” tool in the last year will have to log in to Facebook again, and any apps that used Facebook to log in. From there, they’ll be able to see a statement from Facebook explaining what happened. The company estimated that about 90 million people will have to log in again.

Meanwhile, an indie Taiwanese hacker has proclaimed he’ll broadcast an attempt to wipe out Mark Zuckerberg’s Facebook page this Sunday – live.

Self-professed bug bounty-hunter Chang Chi-yuan, who ferrets out software flaws in return for cash, says he’ll live-stream an endeavor to delete the billionaire’s account at 06:00 local time from his own Facebook page. He didn’t get into details or respond to an online query.

“Broadcasting the deletion of FB founder Zuck’s account,” the lanky youngster, who turns 24 this year based on past interviews, told his 26 000-plus followers on Facebook this week. “Scheduled to go live.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Sports News

Visa Extends Contract With CAF For 4 Years

Published

on

By

Visa Extends Contract With CAF For 4 Years

Visa, a global leader in payment transactions, has extended its contract with the Confederation of African Football (CAF), as a sponsor of the Total Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) for another four years. This means Visa will sponsor the 2019 and 2021 tournaments.

The sponsorship deal will make Visa the exclusive payment services provider at all venues during the Total AFCON tournaments in 2019 and 2021, and will be the preferred payment option for tickets bought both in-person and online. In addition, Visa will be the official partner of the player escort program, giving over 1,100 children the opportunity to lead their football heroes out at the Total AFCON matches.

CAF President, Ahmad Ahmad, said: “The benefits of investing in African football are clear to see, and with football being the number one passion of consumers across the continent we’re delighted to welcome Visa as a sponsor of the Total AFCON tournament. Through this partnership with CAF, Visa will be able to connect further with its customers and leverage CAF as an innovative marketing platform. Africa is now more connected than ever before, and Visa’s payment network will play a vital role in reaching and rewarding fans across the region. I’m certain that together we will take African football to the next level.”

“Football is the most popular sport in the world with an estimated 4 billion fans and the sport intrinsically aligns with Visa’s values of acceptance and inclusion. The Total Africa Cup of Nations tournament is arguably the most important football event in our region where the best of African football comes together.

We are very proud to begin our association with CAF, Lagardère Sports and the Total AFCON tournament to support the growth of football in our key markets,” said Andrew Torre, Regional President, Central & Eastern Europe, Middle East and Africa (CEMEA), Visa,” said Torre.

Continue Reading

Nigerian News

EFCC Detains University Students Over Cyber Crime

Published

on

By

EFCC Detains University Students Over Cyber Crime

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) in Ibadan has arrested 36 suspected internet fraudsters in Ogun State.

The commission’s acting Head, Media and Publicity, Mr Tony Orilade, said this in a statement in Abuja on Thursday.

Orilade stated that the suspects, who were between 19 and 37 years of age, included 23 university students, out of which, nine were ladies who allegedly claimed to be girlfriends and or neighbours of some of the suspects.

He said, “the suspects carry out their activities by sending emails to unsuspecting victims mostly in the United States of America, while others were engaged in romance scam on several dating sites.”

Orilade said other items recovered from the suspects included different models and brands of exotic cars, 18 laptops, 50 cell phones, 300 sim cards and two bags of fetish objects.

The media and publicity acting head said that the suspects would be charged to court after investigation.

Continue Reading

Nigerian News

Teleology Takes Over 9Mobile

Published

on

By

Teleology Takes Over 9Mobile

After about eight months when it made the initial $50 million non refundable deposit to acquire 9Mobile, Teleology holdings has been given final approval by the board of the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) to own the Telecommunications company.

The company has also immediately constituted a new board of directors to manage 9Mobile’s affairs.

One of the new board members, Mohammed Edewor, said Teleology is pleased with all out-going members of the board for helping to shepherd 9Mobile through the critical transition phase it has gone through since July last year.

Teleology was also granted a twenty-day extension to tidy up the payment process and take over 9Mobile.  NCC also hinted that even with the final payment, the technical capability of teleology to manage 9Mobile successfully must be put into serious forensic test before operating license could be transferred to it.

Continue Reading

Trending

Subscribe to ANN News Alert

Be the first to receive the latest news from Africa and around the world.

%d bloggers like this: