Flood: Okowa Appeals To FG, Others For Relief – African News Network | Latest African News | Nigerian News | Breaking News
Connect with us

Nigerian News

Flood: Okowa Appeals To FG, Others For Relief

Published

on

Flood: Okowa Appeals To FG, Others For Relief

Gov. Ifeanyi Okowa of Delta on Tuesday appealed to the Federal Government, the organised private sector and individuals to deploy more relief materials to assuage the suffering of flood victims in the state.

The governor made the appeal when he visited the Holding Camps in Patani Local Government Area of the state, to ascertain how the victims were fairing.

He said that adequate manpower had been deployed to the camps adding that the demands of the victims had risen as many of them continued to seek refuge.

“We have been to several camps and you can see that members of the flood committee are working round the clock.

“In this camp, we have more than 1, 500 people and there are several camps set up in this area because out of the 16 communities, 11 are under water which is a sad situation.

“Every other town that I have visited the Holding Camps are in one school or the other, but the schools in this area have been submerged.

“The water may take time to recede; I just hope the Federal Government will urgently intervene to complement what we are doing as a state.

“I must thank all the people of Delta, touched and have donated one relief material or the other to assist the victims of the flood.

“I call on the organised private sector and individuals to please, if you have an extra, come to the aide of these victims,” Okowa said.

The governor commended the people of Patani LGA for their cooperation and unity of purpose and for constructing temporary structures at the camps to make the victims comfortable.

“I am impressed with the level of organisation in this camp; it is neat despite the sad development.

“The people are facing the reality of the fact that they may not get to their communities for some time.

“Certainly, we will continue to do our best for them to be comfortable, the medical team is okay and with the registration of individual families.

“We shall work out how best to get them resettled when the flood water recedes.

“This is a time we should be our brother’s keepers.“

The Commissioner, Bureau for Special Duties, Mr Ernest Ogwezzy, who conducted the governor round the camp said that the population of people in different camps were on the increase.

He traced the development to the fact that the water level had continued to submerge communities.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Nigerian News

Kidnappers In Ondo State Kill One Of Their Victims

Published

on

By

Kidnappers In Ondo State Kill One Of Their Victims

Kidnappers in Ondo state are said to have killed one of their victims, a lecturer at the Rufus Giwa polytechnic in Owo, six days after they were abducted. Taiwo Akinyemi was reportedly killed on Sunday.

The suspected Fulani gunmen seized four persons, including the deceased, on the Akure-Owo expressway in Owo local government area last week.

They have released the three other victims who are staff members of the federal medical center, Owo.

The gunmen were reported to have tied the body of the fifty-two-year-old Akinyemi to a tree in bush where it was found. He was killed because his family could no pay their ransom demand on time.

Governor Rotimi Akeredolu joined lecturers and students of the polytechnic on Monday in a procession on campus as to respect and honor the late lecturer. Akeredolu described Akinyemi’s death as unfortunate.

Chris Olowolade, Chairman of the Senior Staff Association of Nigerian Polytechnics, Rugipo chapter, said the kidnappers originally asked for a one hundred million Naira ransom which was reduced to seven million Naira after two days. The kidnappers later further reduced it to half a million Naira.

Continue Reading

Nigerian News

ASUU And Nigerian Government Reach Partial Agreement

Published

on

By

ASUU And Nigerian Government Reach Partial Agreement

Meanwhile, Labor Minister, Dr.Chris Ngige, has announced at a reconciliation meeting in Abuja that the government and the academic staff union of universities, ASUU, have reached a partial agreement. He says this should resolve the strike which started in early November.

The minister said they discussed issues related to agreements they had on shortfall in salaries of some federal universities’ workers and lecturers.  He said ASUU has submitted a list to the Accountant-General’s office, and the government has agreed that the presidential initiative on continuous auditing would cross-check that list by Wednesday.

Continue Reading

Nigerian News

SSANU To Embark On 3-Day Nationwide Protest

Published

on

By

SSANU To Embark On 3-Day Nationwide Protest

The Senior Staff Association of Nigerian Universities, SSANU, says it would embark on three-day nationwide protest beginning in a week.

Minister of Labor and Employment, Senator Chris Ngige, announced that the federal government would secure eight billion Naira within five weeks to pay NASU’s joint action committee.

The Union’s public relations officer, Abdussobur Salaam says the protest is about the government’s non-implementation of an agreement it reached with the union.

The Non-Academic Staff Union of Universities, NASU, and the National Association of Academic Technologists, NAAT, had embarked on a nationwide strike in December last year. The action was suspended in march.

Continue Reading

Trending

Subscribe to ANN News Alert

Be the first to receive the latest news from Africa and around the world.

%d bloggers like this: