Woman Sues Facebook 'For Enabling Sex Trafficking' – Tech News – African News Network | Latest African News | Nigerian News | Breaking News
Connect with us

Tech News

Woman Sues Facebook ‘For Enabling Sex Trafficking’

Published

on

A Texas woman, claiming that she was raped, beaten and sex trafficked at the age of 15 by a pimp who posed as a Facebook “friend,” has filed suit against the social network, alleging its executives knew minors were being lured into the sex trade on their platform.

The woman, identified only as Jane Doe in court papers filed in Harris County District Court in Houston on Monday, also named as defendants the now-shuttered classified ads website Backpage.com and its founders.

Attorneys for Backpage.com and the former employees named in the lawsuit as defendants also did not return calls for comment.

According to the lawsuit, the woman was “friended” on Facebook in 2012 by a user who appeared to know several of her real-life friends. The man messaged her through Facebook, according to the lawsuit, which was seen by Reuters.

The lawsuit alleges that at one point following an argument with her mother, the trafficker offered to console her, but after picking her up from her home he beat and raped her and took pictures that were posted on Backpage.com.

The lawsuit says Facebook did not do enough to verify the user’s identity, which the lawsuit said was false, and that Jane Doe was never warned that sex traffickers were operating on the social media network.

The plaintiff’s attorneys, David Harris and Louie Cook of the law firm Sico Hoelscher Harris LLP in Houston, did not reply to requests for comment. Backpage.com was shut down by authorities earlier this year after a Justice Department investigation into allegations that the website was used primarily to sell sex.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Tech News

Huawei CFO, Meng Wanzhou Released On Bail

Published

on

By

Huawei CFO, Meng Wanzhou Released On Bail

Meng Wanzhou, Chief Financial Officer of Chinese telecoms giant huawei technologies, was released on bail by a canadian court on tuesday, 10 days after her arrest in vancouver at the request of U.S. authorities.

Meng Wanzhou, daughter ofHuawei’ss founder, faces the U.S. claims that she misled multinational banks on transactions that misled banks and put them at risk of violating U.S. sanctions on Iran.

A Vancouver, British Columbia court granted Meng a U.S. seven and a half million dollars bail to Meng. She has been held since her arrest on December 1. The courtroom erupted in applause when the decision was announced. Meng cried and hugged her lawyers.

Meng will have to abide by the court’s bail conditions, one of which is for the forty-six-year-old to wear an ankle monitor and stay at home from eleven pm to six am.

Meng’s arrest has put further soured Chinese relations with the united states and canada at a time when tensions were already high over a trade war and U.S. accusations of chinese spying.

U.S. president Donald Trump said on Tuesday he would intervene in the U.S. justice department’s case against meng if it would serve national security interests or help close a trade deal with China.

Continue Reading

Tech News

Huawei CFO Seeks Release From Canadian Detention

Published

on

By

Huawei CFO Seeks Release From Canadian Detention

The Chief Financial Officer of Chinese telecom giant Huawei has offered to submit to strict electronic monitoring as she sought release from Canadian detention, but she will have to wait at least one more day to know her fate.

Meng Wanzhou was arrested on December the first at Washington’s request, the same day Chinese and us leaders agreed to a 90-day truce in a trade war that has threatened global economic growth.

The 46-year-old’s arrest rocked financial markets and infuriated Beijing, fuelling tensions between the world’s two largest economies and complicating efforts to resolve their trade dispute.

Washington has accused Huawei of using a hong kong shell company to sell equipment to Iran in violation of U.S. sanctions

Continue Reading

Sports News

Visa Extends Contract With CAF For 4 Years

Published

on

By

Visa Extends Contract With CAF For 4 Years

Visa, a global leader in payment transactions, has extended its contract with the Confederation of African Football (CAF), as a sponsor of the Total Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) for another four years. This means Visa will sponsor the 2019 and 2021 tournaments.

The sponsorship deal will make Visa the exclusive payment services provider at all venues during the Total AFCON tournaments in 2019 and 2021, and will be the preferred payment option for tickets bought both in-person and online. In addition, Visa will be the official partner of the player escort program, giving over 1,100 children the opportunity to lead their football heroes out at the Total AFCON matches.

CAF President, Ahmad Ahmad, said: “The benefits of investing in African football are clear to see, and with football being the number one passion of consumers across the continent we’re delighted to welcome Visa as a sponsor of the Total AFCON tournament. Through this partnership with CAF, Visa will be able to connect further with its customers and leverage CAF as an innovative marketing platform. Africa is now more connected than ever before, and Visa’s payment network will play a vital role in reaching and rewarding fans across the region. I’m certain that together we will take African football to the next level.”

“Football is the most popular sport in the world with an estimated 4 billion fans and the sport intrinsically aligns with Visa’s values of acceptance and inclusion. The Total Africa Cup of Nations tournament is arguably the most important football event in our region where the best of African football comes together.

We are very proud to begin our association with CAF, Lagardère Sports and the Total AFCON tournament to support the growth of football in our key markets,” said Andrew Torre, Regional President, Central & Eastern Europe, Middle East and Africa (CEMEA), Visa,” said Torre.

Continue Reading

Trending

Subscribe to ANN News Alert

Be the first to receive the latest news from Africa and around the world.

%d bloggers like this: