8 Chadian Soldiers Killed In Boko Haram Attack – African News Network | Latest African News | Nigerian News | Breaking News
Connect with us

African News

8 Chadian Soldiers Killed In Boko Haram Attack

Published

on

8 Chadian Soldiers Killed In Boko Haram Attack

Eight Chadian soldiers died in a Boko Haram attack in the Lake Chad region on Wednesday, with 48 jihadists killed as the army retaliated, a military spokesperson told AFP.

“Boko Haram terrorists attacked defence force positions in Kaiga Kindji early this morning,” the spokesperson said.

The attack, which left 11 other soldiers wounded, had been “vigorously” repulsed, he added.

READ:  How African Cities Can Harness Green Technologies For Growth And Jobs

Boko Haram’s Islamist insurgency has devastated the Lake Chad region since the group took up arms in Nigeria in 2009.

The jihadists’ campaign of violence has left at least 27 000 people dead, displaced some two million others and triggered a humanitarian crisis.

Chad, Cameroon and Niger have all joined the military effort by Nigeria to crush Boko Haram. Chad has seen a recent increase in attacks by the group.

READ:  Kenyatta To Meet With Donald Trump

A Chadian soldier was killed earlier this month after Boko Haram launched a mortar attack on a military camp in Litri, close to the Nigeria border.

In late September, six people, including two soldiers, were killed in another Boko Haram attack on the Chadian shores of Lake Chad, in which 17 of the attackers were shot dead by the army.

READ:  Boko Haram: Five Air Force Officers Die In Helicopter Crash

The Nigerian army has recently intensified operations in the Lake Chad region, including air strikes against the jihadist group, according to Nigerian military sources.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

African News

Prime Minister And Cabinet Members Resign In Burkina Faso

Published

on

By

Prime Minister And Cabinet Members Resign In Burkina Faso

The cabinet of Burkina Faso President, Roch Marc Kabore, has resigned according to a statement released on national television by the country’s president.

Prime Minister Paul Kaba Thieba, a former economist, had held the position since January 2016 when he was nominated by President Roch Marc Christian Kabore. Kabore accepted the resignations and said, a new government is to be form as soon as possible while no explanation was given for there resignation.

The government  is faced growing pressure over a rise in the number of kidnappings and attacks. The country lies in the heart of the vast Sahel region, which is struggling with a bloody Islamist insurgency.

Canadian Edith Blais, 34, and her Italian partner Luca Tacchetto, 30, have been missing since mid-December, and late Wednesday a Canadian geologist kidnapped by suspected jihadists was found dead at a remote gold mine in the northeast.

READ:  Chad's Former Minister Of Foreign Affairs Returns
Continue Reading

African News

Breaking: Court Grants Dino Melaye Bail On Health Ground

Published

on

By

Dino Melaye Granted Bail On Health Condition

Senator Dino Melaye has been granted bail by a High Court in Maitama, Abuja. Justice Yusuf Halilu granted bail to Melaye on health ground. Halilu was of the view that the Senator must be healthy to stand trial.

READ:  Nigeria's Buhari To Face Political Heavyweight Opponent In Re-election Bid

The ruling was granted after an application by Melaye’s lawyer, Mike Ozekhome (SAN). The senator is currently being held in a police health facility in Abuja.

READ:  Boko Haram: Five Air Force Officers Die In Helicopter Crash

As terms for his bail, the defendant is expected to produce three sureties, one of whom must be the Clerk of the National Assembly.

The judge said the other two sureties must be owners of properties within the Abuja metropolis.

READ:  Al Qaeda Affiliate In Mali Release Video Of Kidnapped Nun and Worker

Continue Reading

African News

Ghana: Undercover Reporter Cries Out Over Death Threats

Published

on

By

Ghana: Undercover Reporter Cries Out Over Death Threats

Ghanaian undercover reporter Anas Aremeyaw Anas has said, his team face death threats on a daily basis. He was speaking after his colleague Ahmed Hussein-Suale was shot dead while driving home, after a politician called for retribution against him.

READ:  Niger Will Continue To Be A Transit For Migrants - President

Reports say Ahmed Hussein-Suale was near his home in Madina Suburb on Wednesday when two men on a motorbike pulled up next to his car and shot him at close range.

READ:  Cameroon's Biya Is Sworn In After Disputed Poll

The journalist died instantly after being shot twice in the chest and in the neck.

He was an investigative journalist with tiger eye private investigations, run by Anas. Hussein had exposed Ghana’s soccer corruption that led to the head of the Ghana Football Association resignation.

READ:  Al Qaeda Affiliate In Mali Release Video Of Kidnapped Nun and Worker

Continue Reading

Trending

Subscribe to ANN News Alert

Be the first to receive the latest news from Africa and around the world.

%d bloggers like this: