12 Killed In Fresh Mali Violence – African News Network | Latest African News | Nigerian News | Breaking News
Connect with us

African News

12 Killed In Fresh Mali Violence

Published

on

More Than 20 Tuaregs Killed In Mali

Eleven people were shot dead in restive central Mali on Monday by unidentified gunmen, while a blast killed one person and injured two, sources said.

The gun attack took place in the village of Telly, a few dozen kilometres (miles) from the town of Tenenkou, a local official said.

“They killed 11 civilians. Some of them came by motor bike,” the source said.

A Malian security source confirmed the attack in Telly and the death toll, and said “criminals” were to blame.

“There are also people who have been reported missing. We don’t know how many,” the security source said.

READ:  #BringBackOurGirls Activist Says She Is fighting For 'The Soul' Of Africa's Most Populous Nation

The defence ministry did not immediately return a request for information.

In the central-eastern town of Menaka, meanwhile, a deputy mayor said one woman was killed and two others were seriously injured by a landmine on the road between Chamane and Tin Fadimata.

They were travelling by donkey when one of the animals stepped on the bomb, an improvised device “set by terrorists,” the official said.

READ:  Uganda Warns Against Interference As Pressure Mounts On U.S. To Cut Military Support

“They (the injured) have been taken to the Tin Fadimata Medical Centre,” the source said.

Central Mali is in the grip of two-fold violence – by jihadists and by rival ethnic groups, notably Fulani herders and Dogon farmers fighting over access to land.

The upheaval results from a revolt by Touareg rebels in northern Mali in 2012 that al-Qaeda-linked jihadists exploited to seize key cities in the region.

READ:  Ebola Threatens To Spread To Uganda

The jihadists were largely forced out by a French-backed military campaign, but the violence spread and much of the country is in a state of lawlessness.

In central Mali, a mosaic of ethnicities, more than 500 civilians have died since the start of the year, according to UN figures.

African News

Zimbabwe: Government, Civil Servants Agree Salary Deal

Published

on

By

Zimbabwe: Government, Civil Servants Agree Salary Deal

Zimbabwe government and civil servants have finally agreed to a salary accord after the government increased its offer to four hundred million dollars, up by fifty million.

READ:  Uganda Warns Against Interference As Pressure Mounts On U.S. To Cut Military Support

This means government workers and civil servants will each receive an increment of a hundred twenty-nine dollars effective on April the first.

Negotiations for a further salary review, possibly in June, will continue with consideration of other non-monetary incentives.

READ:  Venezuela's Guaido Calls For Protest Amid Plans To Return Home

Apex council chairperson, Cecilia Alexander, says the welfare negotiations will continue until the welfare of civil servants improved.

Continue Reading

African News

Niger’s Top Court Outlaws ‘Fifth Wife’ Sex-Slave Maids

Published

on

By

Niger's Top Court Outlaws 'Fifth Wife' Sex-Slave Maids

Niger’s top court has outlawed the practice of keeping women as maids and sex slaves known as “fifth wives.”  This ends a decade-long legal battle by one victim that lawyers say could inspire others in the West African nation to seek justice.

READ:  Gunmen Abduct Four Priests In Nigeria: State Official

UK-based anti-slavery international, says the “fifth wife” custom, also known as “wahaya,” is when, in addition to the four wives permitted by Islam, rich men take on other, unofficial wives who live as domestic and sexual slaves.

READ:  DRC Outgoing President, Kabila Calls For National Unity

Thomson-Reuters Foundation says a Nigerien court had initially ruled in favor of the victim’s master, but she appealed the decision.  Last month, the Niger court of appeals ruled that her first marriage was never valid and that all “fifth wife” marriages are illegal.

READ:  Eritrea Demands Compensation For Sanctions

Continue Reading

African News

Gunmen Abduct Student Football Team In Cameroon

Published

on

By

Gunmen Abduct Student Football Team In Cameroon

Gunmen have abducted twenty University of Buea male football team members in Cameroon’s southwest. A report says university Vice-Chancellor, Ngono Horace Manga, has confirmed the incident.

READ:  DRC Outgoing President, Kabila Calls For National Unity

The Vice-Chancellor is quoted as saying armed men stormed the university’s football ground and ordered the players who were training for an upcoming competition to leave with them.

READ:  Eritrea Demands Compensation For Sanctions

Manga also said the kidnappers contacted university authorities and demanded a ransom.  He did not disclose the amount for which they were asking.

No group has claimed responsibility for the kidnapping.

READ:  Uganda Warns Against Interference As Pressure Mounts On U.S. To Cut Military Support

Continue Reading

Trending

Subscribe to ANN News Alert

Be the first to receive the latest news from Africa and around the world.

%d bloggers like this: