Zim VP Treated In SA For Injuries From June Grenade Attack - Report – African News Network | Latest African News | Nigerian News | Breaking News
Connect with us

African News

Zim VP Treated In SA For Injuries From June Grenade Attack – Report

Published

on

Zim VP Treated In SA For Injuries From June Grenade Attack

Zimbabwe’s vice president is being treated in a South African hospital for the effects of a bomb blast targeting Zanu-PF leaders in June, a state newspaper is reporting.

Vice President Constantino Chiwenga is also receiving treatment for an old war wound, presidential spokesperson George Charamba was quoted as saying by Herald.

The paper said that Chiwenga had “soldiered on” in the wake of the grenade attack on President Emmerson Mnangagwa’s rally in Bulawayo. Chiwenga was not previously reported to have been injured in the blast, which
killed two security aides and injured dozens of others, including Chiwenga’s wife Mary.

State TV at the time showed him in apparent good health, visiting the injured in hospital in Bulawayo alongside Mnangagwa.

Fell sick before cabinet meeting

Charamba said Mary Chiwenga was also receiving treatment in South Africa, but he denied social media reports in Zimbabwe that Chiwenga was in bad shape.

“The review has been done both for the general and his wife. The President has been constantly talking to the couple on a daily basis,” Charamba told the Herald.

He added that Chiwenga had “historical” health problems relating to a bullet wound he received during the country’s independence war. He said the couple would return to Zimbabwe this week.

Chiwenga was until last November the commander of the defence forces. He led the military operation that forced former president Robert Mugabe to step down.

The private NewsDay reported on Monday that Chiwenga had to be airlifted to South Africa last week. The paper, citing ruling party sources, said the vice president had fallen sick ahead of a cabinet meeting on October 2.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

African News

Al-Shabaab Executes 3 Men In Somalia

Published

on

By

Al-Shabaab Executes 3 Men In Somalia

Somalia’s militant Islamist group al-Shabaab has killed three men execution-style, accusing two of them of working for the army. The third man it killed was an elderly clan leader who helped choose candidates for the 2016 parliamentary elections.

Media linked to al-Shabaab reported the killings took place in front of a crowd in Mubarak village in southern Somalia.

The militants, who are affiliated to al-Qaeda, control much territory in rural areas of Somalia and are fighting to overthrow the un-backed government.

The militants are known for killing suspected informants, including those accused of spying for the U.S. And other foreign intelligence agencies.

Continue Reading

African News

Kenya Drops Plans To Introduce Controversial New School Syllabus

Published

on

By

Kenya Drops Plans To Introduce Controversial New School Syllabus

Kenya’s education minister Amina Mohamed says the government has dropped plans to introduce a controversial new school syllabus at the start of the academic year in January because it is not ready to roll it out.

The syllabus has caused huge debate in Kenya as it makes radical changes, moving away from an exam-focused to a competency-focused system, which the government says will improve the chances of building successful careers.

The minister added the government still needed to train teachers, and the earliest it would be able to roll out the syllabus would be in 2023.

She said it would be a bad idea to roll out something with which the government is not at all comfortable.  The minister said the government also takes parents into consideration.

Continue Reading

African News

Tanzania’s President Signs Agreement For The Construction Of Controversial Hydro-Electric Power Project

Published

on

By

Tanzania's President Signs Agreement For The Construction Of Controversial Hydro-Electric Power Project

Tanzania’s president John Magufuli has signed an agreement for the construction of a controversial hydro-electric power project in one of East Africa’s best-known game reserves.

The power plant on the Rufiji River in the Selous game reserve is to be built by two Egyptian firms at a cost of more than three billion dollars.

The project has been strongly opposed by conservationists who warn it would cause irreversible damage to the wildlife habitat, and impact the lives of about 200,000 people who depend on the environment.

The Selous game reserve is a UNESCO world heritage site and is home to a vast array of wildlife.

Continue Reading

Trending

Subscribe to ANN News Alert

Be the first to receive the latest news from Africa and around the world.

%d bloggers like this: