SERAP Secures Court Order Against Fashola – Nigerian News – African News Network | Latest African News | Nigerian News | Breaking News
Connect with us

Nigerian News

SERAP Secures Court Order Against Fashola

Published

on

SERAP Secures Court Order Against Fashola

An anti-corruption group, Socio-Economic and Rights and Accountability Project has secured court’s leave to file for a mandamus order against the Minister of Power, Works and Housing, Babatunde Fashola, over poor power supply in the country.

The order is to compel Fashola to account for about nine hundred billion Naira sunk into the privatisation of the electricity sector in Nigeria without any positive result to show for it.

The leave to seek mandamus order against Fashola was granted in Lagos on Tuesday by Justice C.J. Aneke of the Federal High Court

The leave followed an ex parte application filed and argued by SERAP’s lawyer Bamisope Adeyanju.

The Judge, after granting the leave, directed that Fashola should be put on notice. He adjourned the case to late November.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Nigerian News

Kidnappers In Ondo State Kill One Of Their Victims

Published

on

By

Kidnappers In Ondo State Kill One Of Their Victims

Kidnappers in Ondo state are said to have killed one of their victims, a lecturer at the Rufus Giwa polytechnic in Owo, six days after they were abducted. Taiwo Akinyemi was reportedly killed on Sunday.

The suspected Fulani gunmen seized four persons, including the deceased, on the Akure-Owo expressway in Owo local government area last week.

They have released the three other victims who are staff members of the federal medical center, Owo.

The gunmen were reported to have tied the body of the fifty-two-year-old Akinyemi to a tree in bush where it was found. He was killed because his family could no pay their ransom demand on time.

Governor Rotimi Akeredolu joined lecturers and students of the polytechnic on Monday in a procession on campus as to respect and honor the late lecturer. Akeredolu described Akinyemi’s death as unfortunate.

Chris Olowolade, Chairman of the Senior Staff Association of Nigerian Polytechnics, Rugipo chapter, said the kidnappers originally asked for a one hundred million Naira ransom which was reduced to seven million Naira after two days. The kidnappers later further reduced it to half a million Naira.

Continue Reading

Nigerian News

ASUU And Nigerian Government Reach Partial Agreement

Published

on

By

ASUU And Nigerian Government Reach Partial Agreement

Meanwhile, Labor Minister, Dr.Chris Ngige, has announced at a reconciliation meeting in Abuja that the government and the academic staff union of universities, ASUU, have reached a partial agreement. He says this should resolve the strike which started in early November.

The minister said they discussed issues related to agreements they had on shortfall in salaries of some federal universities’ workers and lecturers.  He said ASUU has submitted a list to the Accountant-General’s office, and the government has agreed that the presidential initiative on continuous auditing would cross-check that list by Wednesday.

Continue Reading

Nigerian News

SSANU To Embark On 3-Day Nationwide Protest

Published

on

By

SSANU To Embark On 3-Day Nationwide Protest

The Senior Staff Association of Nigerian Universities, SSANU, says it would embark on three-day nationwide protest beginning in a week.

Minister of Labor and Employment, Senator Chris Ngige, announced that the federal government would secure eight billion Naira within five weeks to pay NASU’s joint action committee.

The Union’s public relations officer, Abdussobur Salaam says the protest is about the government’s non-implementation of an agreement it reached with the union.

The Non-Academic Staff Union of Universities, NASU, and the National Association of Academic Technologists, NAAT, had embarked on a nationwide strike in December last year. The action was suspended in march.

Continue Reading

Trending

Subscribe to ANN News Alert

Be the first to receive the latest news from Africa and around the world.

%d bloggers like this: