Former Malaysian PM Najib Faces Six More Corruption Charges Over State Funds – African News Network | Latest African News | Nigerian News | Breaking News
Connect with us

World News

Former Malaysian PM Najib Faces Six More Corruption Charges Over State Funds

Published

on

Former Malaysian PM Najib Faces Six More Corruption Charges Over State Funds

Former Malaysian premier Najib Razak was charged with six counts of criminal breach of trust involving government funds worth more than $1.5 billion on Thursday, adding to the 32 charges he already faces for money laundering and graft.

His former treasury chief, Irwan Serigar Abdullah, was also charged with criminal breach of trust, becoming the highest-ranking civil servant to be charged since Najib was unexpectedly ousted in a general election in May.

The two pleaded not guilty to all the charges. Each charge carries a jail term of up to 20 years, a financial penalty and a whipping sentence, but both Najib and Irwan would be exempted from whipping as they are over the age of 50.

“Nothing in the charges show that any of the acts I undertook resulted in any benefit to me,” Najib said at a press conference after the court hearing.

“There shouldn’t be any belief that any of the monies stated in the charges were lost, or that there were any elements of self-interest.”

The new administration led by Mahathir Mohamad has been cracking down on corruption and has charged several former senior government officials, including Najib’s former deputy.

A particular focus is how billions of dollars went missing from state fund 1Malaysian Development Berhad (1MDB), founded by Najib in 2009.

Four of the six charges filed on Thursday involving about 4.78 billion ringgit relate to a settlement agreement between 1MDB and Abu Dhabi state fund IPIC, said Azam Baki, a deputy commissioner at the anti-graft agency.

In 2017, 1MDB had agreed to pay $1.2 billion to the Abu Dhabi fund, in a settlement agreement following a dispute between the two over bond payments, according to the companies.

The 1MDB-linked charges allege Irwan and Najib committed the breach of trust offense with 220 million ringgit of government funds meant for Kuala Lumpur International Airport Berhad, 1.3 billion ringgit meant for a subsidy and cash aid program and 3.3 billion ringgit of other government funds.

Najib’s lawyer Muhammad Shafee Abdullah said his client did not personally benefit from these transactions.

“These were funds that were initially allocated for a purpose, but on priority was revised, in the face of urgency and dire straits the nation was placed into. For the purposes of settlement of the IPIC issue, an executive decision had to be undertaken very honestly,” Shafee told the court.

He said the other two charges relate to a pipeline project and the East Cost Rail Link (ECRL), a $14 billion project that was the centerpiece of China’s infrastructure push in Malaysia.

The project, signed under Najib’s premiership, was suspended by Mahathir who has said the deal was “unfair” to Malaysia.

BAIL AMOUNT

The judge released Najib and Irwan after setting a bail of 1 million ringgit each.

Prosecutors had earlier asked for 3 million ringgit bail for Najib, but the former premier’s lawyers said it was getting difficult for Najib to settle bail after having paid 4.5 million ringgit in bail since July.

“I would like to ask that my client is given at least three weeks for him to settle the 1 million bail because it has become very difficult for my client, even before and in the latest case,” Shafee said, adding Najib’s bank accounts remain frozen.

The judge ordered the bail be paid in 10 days.

Najib is already facing 32 money laundering, graft and breach of trust charges over transactions linked to 1MDB. He has pleaded not guilty and his trial is due to begin next year.

His wife, Rosmah Mansor, was charged with money laundering earlier this month and had to pay bail of 2 million ringgit.

U.S. authorities allege that $4.5 billion was siphoned from 1MDB and that about $700 million was diverted into Najib’s personal bank accounts.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Nigerian News

Nigeria Remains Third Most Terrorized Country In The World

Published

on

By

Nigeria Remains Third Most Terrorized Country In The World

Nigeria still holds the unenviable position as the third most terrorized country in the world.

The 2018 global terrorism index, released on Wednesday, says  this is as a result of the spate of terrorism in Nigeria.  It also points to what it called the “increase in violence involving Fulani extremists”.  The report says this is happening as deaths committed by Boko Haram are falling..

Nigeria is ranked only below Iraq and Afghanistan, both in first and second positions.

This year alone, hundreds of Nigerians have been killed in attacks by suspected herdsmen as well as clashes between the herders and farmers/communities.

States worst hit in the attacks are Plateau, Benue, Zamfara, Taraba and others.

The report also noted that, compared to the peak of “terrorist deaths” in 2014, “the largest falls in the number of deaths occurred in Iraq, Nigeria, and Pakistan.

Continue Reading

World News

Migrants Breech U.S.-Mexico Border

Published

on

By

Migrants Breech U.S.-Mexico Border

Central American migrants stuck at the U.S.–Mexico border breached the border fence on Monday, even though they knew they could be detained by U.S. authorities. They hoped the illegal entry would allow them to apply for asylum.

Since mid-October, thousands of Central Americans, mostly from Honduras, have traveled north through Mexico in a caravan, some walking much of the long distance.

U.S. President Donald Trump has vowed to stop the migrants, sending troops to reinforce the border and attempting a procedural change to require asylum-seekers to remain in mexico while their cases are heard. So far, the courts have denied those attempts.

Applying for asylum at a U.S. land border can take months, so if migrants enter illegally and present themselves to authorities,their cases could be heard more quickly.

Continue Reading

World News

Analyst Expects Unsuccessful Yemen Peace Meeting

Published

on

By

Analyst Expects Unsuccessful Yemen Peace Meeting

A political analyst says prospects for returning to a unified Yemen remain dim despite members from both warring parties meeting to discuss peace in Stockholm, Sweden.

Supported by the United Nations, representatives of the Yemeni government and the Houthi rebels will meet for political consultations later this week, although no exact date has been announced for the start of the negotiations that would be the first peace talks since 2016.

Mokhtar Yafie, a political analyst in Aden says he does not expect much success from the Stockholm peace meeting.

Yafie added that the internal divisions within the Yemeni government and the Houthi would also complicate the negotiation.

Although some residents in Yemen hold little hopes for the peace talks, there are people having high expectations for them.

Continue Reading

Trending

Subscribe to ANN News Alert

Be the first to receive the latest news from Africa and around the world.

%d bloggers like this: