Africa's Youngest Billionaire 'Had No Security Detail With Him When He Was Kidnapped' – African News Network | Latest African News | Nigerian News | Breaking News
Connect with us

African News

Africa’s Youngest Billionaire ‘Had No Security Detail With Him When He Was Kidnapped’

Published

on

Africa's Youngest Billionaire Kidnapped In Tanzania

Police in in Tanzania have reportedly said that Africa’s youngest billionaire, Mohammed Dewji, 40, who was kidnapped in Dar es Salaam on Thursday, had no security detail with him when he was abducted.

Dewji was kidnapped on Thursday morning by gunmen in Tanzania’s economic capital, AFP reported.

Dewji headed the MeTL Group which operated in at least 10 countries with interests in agriculture to insurance, transport, logistics and the food industry.

READ:  EU Calls For Transparency Ahead Of Mali's Election Run-off On Sunday

He was snatched as he entered the gym of a hotel in the city.

“Initial information indicates he was kidnapped by whites travelling in two vehicles,” regional governor Paul Makonda told journalists, adding that “this kind of incident is new here”.

According to BBC, police said that Dewji “had no security detail with him and drove to the gym on his own”.

Member of parliament

One of Dewji’s employees, Caroline Lewis, said that Dewji had huge celebrity status in the country.

READ:  Ethnic Clashes Kill 44 In Restive Western Ethiopia

“You would be hard pressed to find a person in Dar es Salaam who did not know of Mohammed or the Dewji family and he would often draw large crowds at public events.

“But despite his wealth and celebrity he is always incredibly relaxed in his approach to security, like the rest of the Dewji family,” BBC quoted Lewis as saying.

READ:  Tanzania To Benefit From US Gas Plant Initiative In Africa

Dewji was born in Tanzania and studied at Georgetown University in the United States. He also served as a member of parliament from 2005 to 2015.

In 2013 he became the first Tanzanian to grace the cover of Forbes magazine, and was in 2015 named Forbes Africa Person of the Year.

Dewji is also the main shareholder in Tanzania’s Simba FC football club.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

African News

Morocco: Teachers Protest Over Poor Working Conditions

Published

on

By

Morocco: Teachers Protest Over Poor Working Condition

More than ten thousand Moroccan teachers have staged a new protest in the capital, Rabat, on Sunday to demand better working conditions.  This followed another demonstration that was broken up by police.

READ:  Comoros VP Stripped Of Key Duties

These nationwide teacher strikes in Morocco have continued for three weeks and have drawn at least seventy-thousand public school teachers, marching across the country to protest against a new teacher employment contract they see as an attack on their rights and financial security.

READ:  EU Calls For Transparency Ahead Of Mali's Election Run-off On Sunday

Their demands include legal due process for teachers facing dismissal, protection of the right to strike, periodic pay increases, increased teacher training, improved student transport and construction of more schools.

READ:  Russia Says Journalists In CAR Killed In Robbery

Continue Reading

African News

Cyclone Idai: Cases Of Cholera Reported In Storm-Hit Areas

Published

on

By

Cyclone Idai: Cases Of Cholera Reported In Hit Areas

Malawi, Mozambique, and Zimbabwe were hit last week by one of the biggest and most aggressive cyclones ever recorded in the Southern African region.  It took the storm a few hours to kill hundreds, topple homes, uproot trees and leave scores of residents submerged in water.

READ:  Tanzania Ranked Third Highest In Wage Inequality Survey

Mozambique’s third largest city, Beira, received the largest share of the devastation.  The Port City was turned upside down.  The extent of the devastation is massive, and the city is still primarily without electricity, running water and mobile phone service.

READ:  Tanzania To Benefit From US Gas Plant Initiative In Africa

Relief organizations, including the international federation of the red cross and red crescent societies, say some cases of cholera had already been reported.

Meanwhile, Zimbabwe storm victims now face grief and hunger.  The country’s entertainment stars have organized a concert to raise funds to help victims.  There is growing fear of starvation in communities that have been cut off by smashed bridges or destroyed roads.

READ:  Kenya Suspends Officials In Graft Fight

Continue Reading

African News

UN says Death Toll From Massacre In Mali Now Up To 134

Published

on

By

United Nations says Death Toll From Massacre In Mali Now 134

The United Nations says death toll from massacre in a village in Mali has risen to 134.

An ethnic Dogon militia, already blamed for scores of attacks in central Mali over the past year, is said to have attacked an ethnic village just before dawn on Saturday. The militia accused the ethnic community of having ties to jihadist groups.

READ:  Gambia's President Announces Major Cabinet Reshuffle

A visiting UN representative said in Bamako the killings are an “unspeakable attack.”  Meanwhile, UN Secretary-General, Antonio Gutterres condemned the attack and called on Malian authorities to swiftly investigate and bring perpetrators to justice.

READ:  South Sudan Peace Deal Bumpy As Rebel Leader Doesn't Return

Continue Reading

Trending

Subscribe to ANN News Alert

Be the first to receive the latest news from Africa and around the world.

%d bloggers like this: