At Least 31 Dead After Uganda 'Landslide' - Official – African News Network | Latest African News | Nigerian News | Breaking News
Connect with us

African News

At Least 31 Dead After Uganda ‘Landslide’ – Official

Published

on

At Least 31 Dead After Uganda 'Landslide' - Official

At least 31 people have been found dead in eastern Uganda after heavy rains caused a landslide, a government official said on Friday.

“The number of confirmed dead as of now is 31 people,” Commissioner for Disaster Preparedness Martin Owor told AFP.

The disaster took place on Thursday, and also involved a river bursting its banks in the town of Bukalasi in the Bududa district, sending muddy water coursing through a market.

READ:  13 Killed In Passenger Bus Accident In Macedonia Highway

Nathan Tumuhamye, director of an organisation which helps communities recover from natural disasters and conflict, told AFP that “four to five villages”, and possibly a primary school had been affected.

Uganda Red Cross spokesperson Irene Nakasiita on Thursday shared photos of the scene of what she described as a “massive landslide” on WhatsApp, including images of dismembered corpses caked in mud laid out by the river.

READ:  Niger Delta Agitators Threaten To Shutdown Oil Wells Over Onnoghen's Trial

Some of the bodies have been partly covered with banana leaves by members of the public.

“I have received the sad news of landslides wreaking havoc in Bududa District, killing a yet-to-(be)specified number of residents. The government has dispatched rescue teams to the affected areas,” President Yoweri Museveni wrote on Twitter.

Bududa district in the foothills of Mount Elgon, which lies on the border between Uganda and Kenya, is a high risk area for landslides.

READ:  DRC's Health Ministry Says Ebola Spreads To 2nd Province

At least 100 people were reported killed in a landslide in Bududa in March 2010 and in 2012 landslides destroyed three villages.

Government efforts to move vulnerable people to neighbouring districts have faced resistance from residents.

African News

Zimbabwe: Government, Civil Servants Agree Salary Deal

Published

on

By

Zimbabwe: Government, Civil Servants Agree Salary Deal

Zimbabwe government and civil servants have finally agreed to a salary accord after the government increased its offer to four hundred million dollars, up by fifty million.

READ:  Mugabe's In Singapore For Medical Check-Up

This means government workers and civil servants will each receive an increment of a hundred twenty-nine dollars effective on April the first.

Negotiations for a further salary review, possibly in June, will continue with consideration of other non-monetary incentives.

READ:  Liberia President Weah Honours His Former Coach Wenger

Apex council chairperson, Cecilia Alexander, says the welfare negotiations will continue until the welfare of civil servants improved.

Continue Reading

African News

Niger’s Top Court Outlaws ‘Fifth Wife’ Sex-Slave Maids

Published

on

By

Niger's Top Court Outlaws 'Fifth Wife' Sex-Slave Maids

Niger’s top court has outlawed the practice of keeping women as maids and sex slaves known as “fifth wives.”  This ends a decade-long legal battle by one victim that lawyers say could inspire others in the West African nation to seek justice.

READ:  Chad Forces Bombard Rebel Positions On Libyan Border

UK-based anti-slavery international, says the “fifth wife” custom, also known as “wahaya,” is when, in addition to the four wives permitted by Islam, rich men take on other, unofficial wives who live as domestic and sexual slaves.

READ:  Travellers Wait As Fighting Shuts Runways In Libya

Thomson-Reuters Foundation says a Nigerien court had initially ruled in favor of the victim’s master, but she appealed the decision.  Last month, the Niger court of appeals ruled that her first marriage was never valid and that all “fifth wife” marriages are illegal.

READ:  Zimbabwe Shelves Plans To Join Continental Free Trade

Continue Reading

African News

Gunmen Abduct Student Football Team In Cameroon

Published

on

By

Gunmen Abduct Student Football Team In Cameroon

Gunmen have abducted twenty University of Buea male football team members in Cameroon’s southwest. A report says university Vice-Chancellor, Ngono Horace Manga, has confirmed the incident.

READ:  Toxic Materials Found In Imported Fish In East Africa

The Vice-Chancellor is quoted as saying armed men stormed the university’s football ground and ordered the players who were training for an upcoming competition to leave with them.

READ:  Police, Slavery Activists Clash At Mauritania Parliament

Manga also said the kidnappers contacted university authorities and demanded a ransom.  He did not disclose the amount for which they were asking.

No group has claimed responsibility for the kidnapping.

READ:  Tunisia Anti-litter Activist Takes Up 300-Km, 30-Beach Challenge

Continue Reading

Trending

Subscribe to ANN News Alert

Be the first to receive the latest news from Africa and around the world.

%d bloggers like this: