Bodies of 11 Migrants Recovered Off Morocco Coast - Authorities – African News Network | Latest African News | Nigerian News | Breaking News
Connect with us

African News

Bodies of 11 Migrants Recovered Off Morocco Coast – Authorities

Published

on

Rights Activists Slam Moroccan Navy For Deadly Migrant Boat Shooting

The bodies of 11 migrants were recovered and another 32 people were rescued in the sea north of Morocco, authorities in the North African country said on Tuesday.

A boat carrying migrants ran into trouble on Monday off the coast of Nador, in the northeast of the kingdom, local authorities told AFP.

READ:  Ivory Coast MP Sentenced To 12 Months In Prison For Spreading False News

“Thirty-two sub-Saharan Africans were saved and the bodies of 11 migrants were recovered,” the same source said, without giving further details.

The death toll was put at 34 dead by organisations that aid migrants.

Spanish rights activist Helena Maleno tweeted: “34 dead, among them a baby, when a makeshift boat with 60 people on board sank… off Morocco”.

READ:  New Zealand: Families Bury Victims From Christchurch Attack

Morocco has seen an influx of migrants trying to reach Europe, most of them on boats bound for Spain or via the Spanish enclaves of Ceuta and Melilla in North Africa.

READ:  South Sudan Govt Sets To Repair Oil Wells Damaged During Civil War

More than 40,000 migrants have reached Spain since the start of the year, including around 35,000 by the sea, according to the International Organization for Migration.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

African News

Zimbabwe: Government, Civil Servants Agree Salary Deal

Published

on

By

Zimbabwe: Government, Civil Servants Agree Salary Deal

Zimbabwe government and civil servants have finally agreed to a salary accord after the government increased its offer to four hundred million dollars, up by fifty million.

READ:  New Zealand: Families Bury Victims From Christchurch Attack

This means government workers and civil servants will each receive an increment of a hundred twenty-nine dollars effective on April the first.

Negotiations for a further salary review, possibly in June, will continue with consideration of other non-monetary incentives.

READ:  South Sudan Govt Sets To Repair Oil Wells Damaged During Civil War

Apex council chairperson, Cecilia Alexander, says the welfare negotiations will continue until the welfare of civil servants improved.

Continue Reading

African News

Niger’s Top Court Outlaws ‘Fifth Wife’ Sex-Slave Maids

Published

on

By

Niger's Top Court Outlaws 'Fifth Wife' Sex-Slave Maids

Niger’s top court has outlawed the practice of keeping women as maids and sex slaves known as “fifth wives.”  This ends a decade-long legal battle by one victim that lawyers say could inspire others in the West African nation to seek justice.

READ:  China's Xi Signs Deals In Rwanda On Whirlwind Tour

UK-based anti-slavery international, says the “fifth wife” custom, also known as “wahaya,” is when, in addition to the four wives permitted by Islam, rich men take on other, unofficial wives who live as domestic and sexual slaves.

READ:  South Africa's Ramaphosa Outlines Stimulus Plan For Ailing Economy

Thomson-Reuters Foundation says a Nigerien court had initially ruled in favor of the victim’s master, but she appealed the decision.  Last month, the Niger court of appeals ruled that her first marriage was never valid and that all “fifth wife” marriages are illegal.

READ:  China: Court Sentences 28-Year-Old Driver To Death

Continue Reading

African News

Gunmen Abduct Student Football Team In Cameroon

Published

on

By

Gunmen Abduct Student Football Team In Cameroon

Gunmen have abducted twenty University of Buea male football team members in Cameroon’s southwest. A report says university Vice-Chancellor, Ngono Horace Manga, has confirmed the incident.

READ:  Abia Lawmaker Cries Out To FG Over Aba-Ikot Ekpene Road

The Vice-Chancellor is quoted as saying armed men stormed the university’s football ground and ordered the players who were training for an upcoming competition to leave with them.

READ:  10 Killed, Dozens Injured In Road Accident In Kenya

Manga also said the kidnappers contacted university authorities and demanded a ransom.  He did not disclose the amount for which they were asking.

No group has claimed responsibility for the kidnapping.

READ:  Chad Electoral Commission Postpones Legislative Elections To May

Continue Reading

Trending

Subscribe to ANN News Alert

Be the first to receive the latest news from Africa and around the world.

%d bloggers like this: