Cameroon Tense On Anglophone 'Independence' Anniversary – African News Network | Latest African News | Nigerian News | Breaking News
Connect with us

African News

Cameroon Tense On Anglophone ‘Independence’ Anniversary

Published

on

Cameroon Tense On Anglophone 'Independence' Anniversary

Cameroon’s restive anglophone regions were in lockdown on Monday as separatists marked the first anniversary of a symbolic “independence” declaration just a week before a nationwide presidential poll.

A 48-hour curfew was imposed on English-speaking towns in the regions which have been rocked by deadly clashes sparked by the majority francophone country’s sensitive linguistic divide.

Gunfire was reported on Monday in three built-up areas of flashpoint town Buea in the country’s southwest which has been at the heart of the nascent insurgency.

“There’s no one on the streets, they’re empty except for patrolling soldiers,” a witness told AFP.

“Everything is closed,” added a retailer reached by phone who did not open his business on Monday.

A senior military officer told AFP that “security was reinforced” ahead of the anniversary.

President Paul Biya, who has previously dismissed the separatist violence as mere “trouble”, is expected to visit Buea on Tuesday, according to sources briefed on the visit.

It will be only his second election campaign event ahead of polls on Sunday at which the 85-year-old will seek a seventh term.

READ:  APC Members Ask Party Leaders To Take Action Against Defectors

In other English-speaking areas, shops and bars were ordered to close, meetings of more than four people were banned and transport was suspended.

On October 1, 2017 at least 40 pro-anglophone protesters were killed by police according to analysts at the International Crisis Group (ICG) think-tank which said that “tens of thousands of demonstrators” took to the streets.

The worst-affected towns – Buea, and Bamenda, the capital of the northwest region – were flooded with security forces who arrested dozens of suspects following a symbolic “independence” declaration.

“The army killed lots of people on October 1. For nearly two weeks they shot at people like they were birds,” the bishop of Buea, Emmanuel Bushu, said at the time.

The flag of the self-styled Republic of Ambazonia replaced the Cameroonian colours in a number of villages in the anglophone region.

There are now more than 1 000 separatist fighters, according to the ICG, who control “a significant proportion of rural areas and main roads”.

 Attacks on polling stations? 

A spike in attacks on symbols of the Cameroonian state including killings of police and kidnappings of civil servants has forced functionaries in several areas to flee.

READ:  Cameroonians March Against Secession In The Country

By comparison, not one official has fled the country’s far north despite repeated attacks by the Nigeria-based jihadist group Boko Haram since 2014.

The anglophone separatists have vowed that there will be no election in their areas on Sunday.

Cameroonian officials responded by insisting that polling would be held in all 360 of the country’s districts.

The anglophone regions have historically been a reliable pool of votes for the main opposition Social democratic front (SDF) party – an anglophone force.

In an effort to limit the risk of attacks on polling stations, the Elecam electoral commission will relocate a number of voting centres.

Voters from the anglophone regions already face obstacles in casting their ballots as the UN estimates that 246 000 people have fled their homes in the southwest for other parts of Cameroon.

More than 25 000 others are refugees in neighbouring Nigeria.

 Call for ‘immediate’ probe 

There are no figures for the scale of the displacement in the northwest region.

READ:  President Buhari Promises Not To Complain About Inherited Problems

Security forces have suffered 170 fatalities since 2017 at the hands of the separatists.

At least 400 civilians have also lost their lives according to NGOs while no estimate exists for the separatist death toll.

The UN’s special advisor for genocide prevention Adama Dieng called for an “immediate” investigation into the violence in an interview with the BBC published Monday.

As polling day has drawn closer the situation has deteriorated with the start of the new school year disrupted at the beginning of September.

At least one teacher has been killed, another maimed and several schools have come under attack.

Last week several civilians were killed in Buea by the military, with witnesses to that violence including a taxi driver and a shopkeeper themselves subsequently killed, according to local sources, taking the toll to eight.

An indefinite nighttime curfew remains in force in the northwest following an attack on a convoy of buses in a suburb of Bamenda at the beginning of September.

African News

Ramaphosa Deploys SANDF To Mozambique As Cyclone Affects SA Power Supply

Published

on

By

Ramaphosa Deploys SANDF To Mozambique As Cyclone Affects SA Power Supply

South Africa President Cyril Ramaphosa says he has deployed the South African National Defense Force, SANDF, to Mozambique to assist in recovery efforts after cyclone Idal caused severe damage, knocking down pylons and affecting power supply to Eskom.

READ:  British, American Among Dozen Killed In Attack, Situation Now Under Control -Kenyan Govt

The storm is said to have damaged a Mozambican transmission line to South Africa, cutting supplies by 900 mega watts, and worsening already strained electricity supply in South Africa.

READ:  APC Members Ask Party Leaders To Take Action Against Defectors

The president has apologized to South Africans for the crisis that has led to an increase in load shedding.  Ramaphosa said the problem should be cleared within two to three days.

READ:  8 Chadian Soldiers Killed In Boko Haram Attack

Continue Reading

African News

Kenya: Former Destitute Man, Patrick Hinga Passes On

Published

on

By

Kenya: Former Destitute Man, Patrick Hinga Passes On

Former destitute street adult in Kenya, Patrick Hinga, has died.  His rescue and transformation by a former schoolmate became an internet sensation.  Hinga’s rehabilitation from the abyss of drug abuse was captured and shared step by step on social media by Wanja Nwaura, a childhood friend, who also broke the sad news on Sunday.

READ:  Cameroonians March Against Secession In The Country

Nwaura had a chance meeting with Hinga in 2017 when he shouted her name as she was getting to a market.  A journey back from drug addiction began for Nwaura’s childhood friend who had spent many years living in the streets.

READ:  Egypt's El-Sisi Elected Chairperson Of AU As Kagame Steps Down

Nwaura took Hinga out of the streets and got him help at a local rehabilitation center.  Born in 1983, Hinga’s drug problems began when he was in standard 8. His friends introduced him to the lifestyle that later destroyed him.

READ:  Nigeria's Buhari Sets Out Pitch For Re-Election In Keynote Speech

Nwaura launched an appeal for Hinga’s rehabilitation as the Chiromo medical lane center.  He completed the program in 2018, and the hospital waived a fifteen hundred dollars bill.

Nwaura did not say what caused her friend’s death.

Continue Reading

African News

Black Boxes Data Shows “Clear Similarities” Between Ethiopian And Lion Air Crashes

Published

on

By

Black Boxes Data Shows “Clear Similarities” Between Ethiopian And Lion Air Crashes

Black boxes from the Ethiopian Airlines Boeing 737 MAX 8 jet crash last week have shown what authorities call “clear similarities” with October’s lion air crash 737.

The crash has generated one of the most widely watched and high-stakes inquiries for years, with the latest version of Boeing’s profitable max series.

READ:  Cameroonians March Against Secession In The Country

Both jets in the crashes in Indonesia and Ethiopia were max 8, and both crashed minutes after take-off when pilots reported control problems.

Concern over the plane’s safety led aviation authorities to ground the model, wiping billions off Boeing’s market value.

READ:  British, American Among Dozen Killed In Attack, Situation Now Under Control -Kenyan Govt

Ethiopian transport ministry spokesman, Muse Yiheyis, has said the data were successfully recovered, and they show similar case with the Indonesian crash.  He said American and Ethiopian teams had validated data from the black boxes.  Us officials told Reuters News Agency in Washington they have not validate the data.

READ:  Egypt's El-Sisi Elected Chairperson Of AU As Kagame Steps Down

Continue Reading

Trending

Subscribe to ANN News Alert

Be the first to receive the latest news from Africa and around the world.

%d bloggers like this: