China Confirms Detention Of Interpol Chief, Hongwei – World News – African News Network | Latest African News | Nigerian News | Breaking News
Connect with us

World News

China Confirms Detention Of Interpol Chief, Hongwei

Published

on

China Confirms Detention Of Interpol Chief

China has confirmed it is holding the missing head of Interpol, Meng Hongwei.

Beijing said he was under investigation by the country’s anti-corruption body for unspecified breaches of the law.

Mr Meng, who is also listed as a vice-minister of public security in China, was reported missing after travelling from the city of Lyon in France, where Interpol is based, to China.

READ:  20 Killed In Suicide Bomb Attack In Pakistan

His family had not heard from him since he left Interpol headquarters on 25 September.

China’s National Supervision Commission, which handles corruption cases involving public servants, said Mr Meng was under investigation in a statement on its website.

READ:  Asian Gaming Stocks Tumble As China Halts License Approvals

Mr Meng is the latest high-profile disappearance in China, where a number of top government officials, billionaires and even an A-list celebrity have vanished in recent months.

READ:  Super Falcons To Start Preparation For Cyprus Women’s Cup After 4 Nation Tournament

Earlier this week, actress Fan Bingbing, who disappeared in China in July, emerged with a public apology and a fine of 883 million yuan ($129m; £98.9m) for tax evasion and other offences.

World News

UN Says 10 Children Among 13 Killed By US Air Strike In Afghanistan

Published

on

By

UN Says 10 Children Among 13 Killed By US Air Strike In Afghanistan

The United Nations has on Monday confirmed that ten children, part of the same extended family, were killed by a US air strike in Afghanistan, along with three adult civilians.

The deadly attack occurred early Saturday near the capital city of volatile Kunduz province a northern province where the Taliban is strong where Afghan and U.S. forces were conducting a joint operation against Taliban insurgents.

Sgt. Debra Richardson, spokeswoman for the NATO-led Resolute Support mission in Afghanistan, confirmed on Sunday that US forces carried out the air strike. She said the mission aims to prevent civilian casualties, while the Taliban intentionally hides among civilians.

The UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) said in releasing its preliminary findings about the incident. UNAMA said in a statement that it is verifying that all 13 civilian casualties occurred around the time of the air strike.

U.S. officials confirmed the killing of two service members and carrying out an airstrike in the area, accusing the Taliban of using civilian areas as hideouts.

The strike which happened between late Friday and early Saturday is to support the pro-government forces on ground fighting against the Taliban militants in the area. The ensuing clashes have killed two American soldiers and several local commando forces, prompting the U.S. military to launch the airstrike

READ:  Trump Signs Defense Policy Bill With Watered-down China Measures
Continue Reading

World News

Seven Wounded As Gaza Rocket Strikes Home In Central Israel

Published

on

By

Seven Wounded As Gaza Rocket Strikes Home In Central Israel

Seven people were wounded early Monday morning after a rocket allegedly fired from Gaza Strip stuck a house in central Israel prompting Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to cut short his visit to Washington and return to Israel after his meeting with President Donald Trump.

The Israel Defense Forces said that the rocket, which struck a home in the community of Mishmeret, was fired from a Hamas position in the area of Rafah in the southern Strip, some 120 kilometers from where it struck. It said the rocket was manufactured by the group.

Israel’s ambulance service said it treated seven people overall, including two women who were moderately wounded. The others, including two children and an infant, had minor wounds.

Israel has also closed the Erez and Kerem Shalom border crossings into the Strip.

Netanyahu said that Israel “will respond forcefully” to the rocket fire and that he was returning “to manage our operations up close.”

READ:  Super Falcons To Start Preparation For Cyprus Women’s Cup After 4 Nation Tournament
Continue Reading

African News

Teacher From Remote Kenya Village Is World’s Best, Wins $1 Million

Published

on

By

Teacher From Remote Kenya Village Is World's Best, Wins $1 Million

A maths and physics teacher from rural Kenya who donates most of his salary to help poorer students has won the $1m Global Teacher Prize for 2019 beating 10,000 nominations from 179 countries.

36-year-old, Peter Tabichi, a science teacher at Keriko secondary school in Pwani Village, in a remote village in Kenya’s Rift Valley, Tabichi, a member of the Franciscan religious order, who gives away 80 percent of his salary to support poor students, received the prize at a ceremony on Saturday in Dubai, hosted by Hollywood actor Hugh Jackman.

“Every day in Africa we turn a new page and a new chapter, this prize does not recognise me but recognises this great continent’s young people. I am only here because of what my students have achieved,” Tabichi said.

In a society where drug abuse, teenage pregnancies, dropping out early from school, young marriages and suicide are common while over 90% of his pupils are from poor families and almost a third are orphans or have only one parent, students have to walk 7km along roads that can become impassable in the rainy season to reach the school.

READ:  China's Ties With Taiwan Chip Firms Under Scrutiny As U.S. Trade War Heats Up
Continue Reading

Trending

Subscribe to ANN News Alert

Be the first to receive the latest news from Africa and around the world.

%d bloggers like this: