CJ Kicks Against Holding Charge – African News Network | Latest African News | Nigerian News | Breaking News
Connect with us

Nigerian News

CJ Kicks Against Holding Charge

Published

on

CJ Kicks Against Holding Charge

“There is no such thing as holding charge in the law books and Nigerian Prisons Service (NPS) should stop accepting any person as an inmate without proper documents from the court.’’

Justice Peter Umeadi, Chief Judge of Anambra, gave the warning in Awka at a workshop organised by Uchefem Consults, for officials of the Nigerian Police, NPS, and the judiciary.

The chief judge said that it was wrong to detain suspects on whom nothing implicating was found under `holding charge.’

READ:  Tanzania Arrests Opposition Leader

“I will always defend magistrates who discharge a suspect on whom nothing implicating is found, provided the magistrates acted according to law.’’

Mr Uche Owete, Chief Executive Officer of Uchefem Consults, the organisers of the workshop, said the workshop was aimed at streamlining the Administration of Criminal Justice Act (2015)

Owete said the implementation of the law required active synergy and streamlining of roles of the various law enforcement agencies.

READ:  26 Victims' Bodies Of Boat Mishap In River Benue Found

“This training is aimed at bringing together the police investigation and prosecution segment.

“The lower courts particularly magistrates where the bulk of criminal cases are tried and the prisons where persons are held for a long time without trial, and where human rights violations are likely to occur.

“It will increase cross -sectional coordination, competence and capacities of the actors in criminal justice to effect serious and durable changes in the overall benefit of the NPS and justice system,” he said.

READ:  Nigeria, Morocco Partner To Tackle Economic Challenges

Earlier, the Comptroller-General of Prisons, Mr. Ahmed Ja’afaru, said the Aministration of Criminal Justice Act, 2015, was a holistic attempt made to put down law that would enhance dispensation of justice and protection of suspects. (NAN)

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Nigerian News

Group Seeks Compensation For Building Collapse Victims In Lagos, Oyo

Published

on

By

Group Seeks Compensation For Building Collapse Victims In Lagos, Oyo

Advocacy group, Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project, has called for investigation into circumstances surrounding buildings collapse incidents in Lagos and Oyo states last week.

READ:  26 Victims' Bodies Of Boat Mishap In River Benue Found

SERAP said the two states should take immediate steps to investigate the latest incidents and bring to justice complicit developers and contractors.

SERAP’s Deputy Director, Kolawole Oludare, says the group is ready to offer free legal services to affected families.

READ:  EFCC Recovers N1.5B, $678.4M In Port Harcourt Zone

Continue Reading

Nigerian News

Building Collapse: Lagos Demolishes 13 Buildings

Published

on

By

Building Collapse: Lagos Demolishes 13 Buildings

Five more buildings in Lagos Island have been brought down by the Lagos state government, bringing the number of demolished buildings to thirteen.

Lagos state building control agency embarked on this demolition on Friday to prevent another disaster after Wednesday’s collapsed building incident in Ita-Faji, Lagos Island.

READ:  EFCC Recovers N1.5B, $678.4M In Port Harcourt Zone

Twenty persons were killed; forty-five others were injured when a four-storey building, housing a school at its top floor, collapsed. Most of the dead were children.

Commissioner for Physical Planning and Urban Development, Rotimi Ogunleye described the exercise as a holistic response to the challenges posed by derelict structures and unapproved schools.

READ:  Underage Offenders: Senate to invite Prisons Boss over detention

The government has taken over the site of the collapsed Massey street building.

Government officials say the ministry had identified 149 distressed and defective buildings, of which 40 have been demolished.

READ:  26 Victims' Bodies Of Boat Mishap In River Benue Found

Continue Reading

Nigerian News

10 Killed In Attack On Kaduna Community

Published

on

By

10 Killed In Attack On Kaduna Community

Ten persons have been killed in a fresh attack in Nandu community in Kaduna State.

Chairman Sanga local government council, Charles Danladi, says the attack happened in Nandu village in which eleven houses were burnt.

READ:  NCC Highlights Challenges In Achieving Telecommunications Infrastructure Objectives

This is happening at a time when the state struggles to contain repeated attacks in Kajuru local government area of the state for two months now.

READ:  Nigeria, Morocco Partner To Tackle Economic Challenges

Dozens of civilians have been killed there in communal violence believed to be between the Adara people and their Fulani neighbours.

Continue Reading

Trending

Subscribe to ANN News Alert

Be the first to receive the latest news from Africa and around the world.

%d bloggers like this: