DRC 'Not Ready' For December Polls, Says Opposition – African News Network | Latest African News | Nigerian News | Breaking News
Connect with us

African News

DRC ‘Not Ready’ For December Polls, Says Opposition

Published

on

DRC 'Not Ready' For December Polls, Says Opposition

The Democratic Republic of Congo is “not ready” to hold long-delayed elections in December, the main opposition party said on Tuesday, the day after the army handed over 150 trucks and a dozen aircraft for use by the electoral commission.

“One hundred fifty trucks can’t cover our vast national territory which doesn’t even have the road infrastructure,” said Augustin Kabuya, spokesperson of the main opposition Union for Democracy and Social Progress (UDPS).

The conflict-ridden DRC sprawls over 2.3 million km2 , making it the largest country in sub-Saharan Africa, some two-thirds the size of Western Europe.

The former Belgian colony boasts just 27 877km of roads, President Joseph Kabila said in July. By comparison, France alone has more than a million kilometres.

Kabuya said the handover of the trucks, planes and helicopters, conducted with great fanfare on Monday, was “staged” to lend international credibility to the elections.

READ:  Comoros VP Stripped Of Key Duties

“We know [however] that… Corneille Nangaa is not ready to organise the elections on December 23,” Kabuya told AFP, referring to the head of the Independent National Electoral Commission (CENI).

Logistical support

During Monday’s ceremony, the Congolese authorities said the vote – postponed in 2016 and again last year – would go ahead without help from the international community.

Previous elections, in 2006 and 2011, took place with material and logistical support from the UN mission to the DRC known as Monusco.

However relations between Monusco, the world’s largest peacekeeping operation, and Kabila’s government have long been strained.

Kinshasa has repeatedly demanded the winding down of the mission, whose military observers were deployed in 2000 during the Second Congo War. The force now counts more than 15 000 troops, 1,000 police and 2 500 civilians in its ranks.

READ:  African First Ladies Push For Faster Detection Of Cancer

Conflict persists notably in the North Kivu province on the country’s eastern border, which has been subject to consecutive waves of bloodshed and brutality involving militias, rebel groups and government forces for more than 20 years.

DRC

Picture: AP

Speaking at the UN General Assembly in September, Kabila vowed to “oppose any interference in the electoral process under way” and said that his country would cover the full cost of the December polls.

Asked to comment on Tuesday, Monusco spokesperson Florence Marchal said the mission would provide logistical support if asked.

READ:  President Buhari Signs ‘Not Too Young To Run’ Bill

“But so far there has been no request,” Marchal told AFP.

The presidential, legislative and municipal elections, set for December 23, will notably yield a successor to Kabila, who is barred by term limits from seeking re-election.

Kabila, 47, has been in power since 2001. His second and final elected term in office ended nearly two years ago, but he stayed in office thanks to a caretaker clause in the constitution.

Months of feverish speculation over his intentions, marked by protests that were bloodily repressed at a cost of dozens of lives, ended in August when he threw his weight behind Emmanuel Ramazani Shadary, a hardline former interior minister.

UDPS leader Felix Tshisekedi is also among the 21 presidential candidates.

African News

Morocco: Teachers Protest Over Poor Working Conditions

Published

on

By

Morocco: Teachers Protest Over Poor Working Condition

More than ten thousand Moroccan teachers have staged a new protest in the capital, Rabat, on Sunday to demand better working conditions.  This followed another demonstration that was broken up by police.

READ:  Comoros VP Stripped Of Key Duties

These nationwide teacher strikes in Morocco have continued for three weeks and have drawn at least seventy-thousand public school teachers, marching across the country to protest against a new teacher employment contract they see as an attack on their rights and financial security.

READ:  US To Partner With Africa To Increase Economy Growth

Their demands include legal due process for teachers facing dismissal, protection of the right to strike, periodic pay increases, increased teacher training, improved student transport and construction of more schools.

READ:  High-profile Candidates Eye Upset At Nigeria Vote

Continue Reading

African News

Cyclone Idai: Cases Of Cholera Reported In Storm-Hit Areas

Published

on

By

Cyclone Idai: Cases Of Cholera Reported In Hit Areas

Malawi, Mozambique, and Zimbabwe were hit last week by one of the biggest and most aggressive cyclones ever recorded in the Southern African region.  It took the storm a few hours to kill hundreds, topple homes, uproot trees and leave scores of residents submerged in water.

READ:  African First Ladies Push For Faster Detection Of Cancer

Mozambique’s third largest city, Beira, received the largest share of the devastation.  The Port City was turned upside down.  The extent of the devastation is massive, and the city is still primarily without electricity, running water and mobile phone service.

READ:  British In Fierce Debate Over ISIS Bride Who Wants To Return Home

Relief organizations, including the international federation of the red cross and red crescent societies, say some cases of cholera had already been reported.

Meanwhile, Zimbabwe storm victims now face grief and hunger.  The country’s entertainment stars have organized a concert to raise funds to help victims.  There is growing fear of starvation in communities that have been cut off by smashed bridges or destroyed roads.

READ:  Angola Says 180,000 Illegal Migrants Return To DRC

Continue Reading

African News

UN says Death Toll From Massacre In Mali Now Up To 134

Published

on

By

United Nations says Death Toll From Massacre In Mali Now 134

The United Nations says death toll from massacre in a village in Mali has risen to 134.

An ethnic Dogon militia, already blamed for scores of attacks in central Mali over the past year, is said to have attacked an ethnic village just before dawn on Saturday. The militia accused the ethnic community of having ties to jihadist groups.

READ:  Scores Freed From Militia-run Libya Prison Decried By UN

A visiting UN representative said in Bamako the killings are an “unspeakable attack.”  Meanwhile, UN Secretary-General, Antonio Gutterres condemned the attack and called on Malian authorities to swiftly investigate and bring perpetrators to justice.

READ:  China's Xi Visits Rwanda on his Africa tour

Continue Reading

Trending

Subscribe to ANN News Alert

Be the first to receive the latest news from Africa and around the world.

%d bloggers like this: