The EFCC has said it recovered N1.5 billion, $678,354.80 and 5,254 Euro from fraud and corruption cases in the last nine months. The South South Zonal Director, Mr. Nnaghe Obono, announced this while briefing journalists yesterday.He said the monies recovered in different denominations were seized from those involved in all kinds of fraudulent activities.
Obono also disclosed that about 283 trucks used to convey illegal petroleum products between January and September this year were handed over to the commission by the headquarters of 6 Division, Nigerian Army, Port Harcourt. The trucks were impounded by the Army from different locations within the Rivers State capital.
According to him, “the laboratory result of the analysis carried out by the Department of Petroleum Resources, (DPR) indicated that 121 of the trucks were carrying adulterated AGO while 39 trucks were loaded with High Pour Fuel Oil, HPFO and Low Pour Fuel Oil , LPFO respectively.”
Meanwhile, the Deputy Chief of Staff to the Senate President, Gbenga Makanjuola, and two others, were yesterday remanded in prison custody by Justice Babs Kuewumi of the Federal High Court, Lagos over alleged N3.5 billion fraud.This followed their arraignment by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) on an 11-count charge bordering on the alleged offence.
Makanjuola was arraigned alongside Melrose General Services Limited and Obiorah Amobi. They, however, pleaded not guilty.Counsel for the EFCC, E. E. Iheanacho, asked that the defendants be remanded in prison custody and sought for a trial date. Makanjuola’s counsel, Paul Erokoro (SAN), drew the court’s attention to his client’s bail application which, he said, had been served on the prosecution, He sought the court’s permission to move it.
Amobi’s counsel, Omeoga Chukwu, also made similar request.When the duo later got the court’s nod to move the bail applications, Erokoro said his client was a former member of the House of Representatives and as such he was prepared to face his trial.
“My client is a full-time staff at the Senate and is not a flight risk. He was a member of the House of Representatives. I urge the court to grant him bail to prepare for his trial,” the silk said. Chukwu, also pleaded with the court to admit his client to bail on liberal terms.
But Iheanacho opposed the bail application, urging the court to dismiss it, saying the defendants constituted flight risk.His words: “One of the defendants has absconded. The chances that the other defendants will abscond are now higher with their arraignment. We urge the court to refuse the defence requests.”After listening to the submissions of parties in the matter, Justice Kuewumi adjourned till October 9 for ruling on the application.
Group Seeks Compensation For Building Collapse Victims In Lagos, Oyo
Advocacy group, Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project, has called for investigation into circumstances surrounding buildings collapse incidents in Lagos and Oyo states last week.
SERAP said the two states should take immediate steps to investigate the latest incidents and bring to justice complicit developers and contractors.
SERAP’s Deputy Director, Kolawole Oludare, says the group is ready to offer free legal services to affected families.
Building Collapse: Lagos Demolishes 13 Buildings
Five more buildings in Lagos Island have been brought down by the Lagos state government, bringing the number of demolished buildings to thirteen.
Lagos state building control agency embarked on this demolition on Friday to prevent another disaster after Wednesday’s collapsed building incident in Ita-Faji, Lagos Island.
Twenty persons were killed; forty-five others were injured when a four-storey building, housing a school at its top floor, collapsed. Most of the dead were children.
Commissioner for Physical Planning and Urban Development, Rotimi Ogunleye described the exercise as a holistic response to the challenges posed by derelict structures and unapproved schools.
The government has taken over the site of the collapsed Massey street building.
Government officials say the ministry had identified 149 distressed and defective buildings, of which 40 have been demolished.
10 Killed In Attack On Kaduna Community
Ten persons have been killed in a fresh attack in Nandu community in Kaduna State.
Chairman Sanga local government council, Charles Danladi, says the attack happened in Nandu village in which eleven houses were burnt.
This is happening at a time when the state struggles to contain repeated attacks in Kajuru local government area of the state for two months now.
Dozens of civilians have been killed there in communal violence believed to be between the Adara people and their Fulani neighbours.
- Group Seeks Compensation For Building Collapse Victims In Lagos, Oyo March 18, 2019
- Building Collapse: Lagos Demolishes 13 Buildings March 18, 2019
- 10 Killed In Attack On Kaduna Community March 18, 2019
- Proposal For UN To Study Climate Technologies Rejected March 18, 2019
- Tanzania: Stiegler’s Gorge Hydro-Electric Project To Produce Thousands Of Jobs March 18, 2019
Sports News7 days ago
Gambia Launches Appeal Over Olufade’s Eligibility
Education News4 days ago
JAMB Fixes April 11 For 2019 UTME
Sports News6 days ago
DR Congo Mbokani Recalled Ahead Of AFCON Qualifier
African News5 days ago
Trump Proposed Budget Deeply Cut Aid To Kenya
Sports News7 days ago
FIFA Urged To Probe Qatar World Cup Accusations
African News3 days ago
Cameroon: U.S. Official Calls On Cameroon To Release Opposition Leader
Nigerian News3 days ago
NNPC Awaits Order To Take Over OML From Shell
Business News5 days ago
Boeing Shares Continue To Slide As Countries Ground 737 MAX Planes