The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has formally recognised the list of candidates for the 2019 general elections submitted to it by the Mr Adebayo Dayo led State Executive Committee of the Peoples Democratic Party, (PDP) in Ogun State and sent orders of letter to the Federal High Court in the state.
The Commission, in its order to the Federal High Court stated that it had received the list of candidates for the governorship, National Assembly and State House of Assembly elections from the committee, which is believed to be loyal to Senator Buruji Kashamu, representing Ogun East Senatorial District of Ogun State at the National Assembly.
In a letter dated October 25, 2019 signed by Mr Okechukwu Ndeche, the Acting Secretary to the Commission and to the National Chairman of the PDP, Prince Uche Secondus, the commission stated that the decision was based on the various Federal High Court cases on the true position of the State Executive Committee of the party until they were set aside.
According to the letter which was received at the National Secretariat of the party in Abuja, “consequently, the commission hereby noted the decisions of the Federal High Court in the above referred cases and would publish the lists of candidates submitted by the Adebayo Dayo led State Executive Committee of Ogun State pursuant to the Orders of the Federal High Court until they are set aside”.
It would be recalled that the National Executive Committee, NEC of the Party had earlier expelled Senator Kashamu, Adebayo Dayo and two members of the Ogun State chapter of the party over alleged anti-party activities which was later overturned by the court.
In a reaction to the recognition by INEC’s decision, Kashamu commended the Commission and the leadership of the party for the recognition of the Engr. Adebayo Dayo Ogun PDP Exco to participate in the forthcoming 2019 elections.
He, however, call on party elders, leaders and teeming supporters to embark on massive mobilisation and reconciliation for successful outing at the polls.
Building Collapse: Experts Urge Government To Go Tough In Enforcing Laws
Building construction experts and environmentalists are jointly saying if the government does not commit to getting tough on enforcement of relevant laws, the scourge of building collapse may not end soon
They firmly stated that the cause of the recent collapse on Lagos Island which claimed 20 lives was not different from the causes of previous ones in the same area and other parts of the state as well as the entire country.
Some building construction experts lamented that the menace of building collapse had remained because the regulatory bodies lacked the will to enforce laws.
They explained that while the issues had been overflogged and the causes known to almost everyone in the society, only the government had the power to go tough on errant developers, landlords, traditional rulers, thugs or anyone found contravening planning laws or engaging in activities that could lead to the collapse of a building.
Group Seeks Compensation For Building Collapse Victims In Lagos, Oyo
Advocacy group, Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project, has called for investigation into circumstances surrounding buildings collapse incidents in Lagos and Oyo states last week.
SERAP said the two states should take immediate steps to investigate the latest incidents and bring to justice complicit developers and contractors.
SERAP’s Deputy Director, Kolawole Oludare, says the group is ready to offer free legal services to affected families.
Building Collapse: Lagos Demolishes 13 Buildings
Five more buildings in Lagos Island have been brought down by the Lagos state government, bringing the number of demolished buildings to thirteen.
Lagos state building control agency embarked on this demolition on Friday to prevent another disaster after Wednesday’s collapsed building incident in Ita-Faji, Lagos Island.
Twenty persons were killed; forty-five others were injured when a four-storey building, housing a school at its top floor, collapsed. Most of the dead were children.
Commissioner for Physical Planning and Urban Development, Rotimi Ogunleye described the exercise as a holistic response to the challenges posed by derelict structures and unapproved schools.
The government has taken over the site of the collapsed Massey street building.
Government officials say the ministry had identified 149 distressed and defective buildings, of which 40 have been demolished.
- Building Collapse: Experts Urge Government To Go Tough In Enforcing Laws March 18, 2019
- Group Seeks Compensation For Building Collapse Victims In Lagos, Oyo March 18, 2019
- Building Collapse: Lagos Demolishes 13 Buildings March 18, 2019
- 10 Killed In Attack On Kaduna Community March 18, 2019
- Proposal For UN To Study Climate Technologies Rejected March 18, 2019
Sports News7 days ago
Gambia Launches Appeal Over Olufade’s Eligibility
Education News4 days ago
JAMB Fixes April 11 For 2019 UTME
Sports News6 days ago
DR Congo Mbokani Recalled Ahead Of AFCON Qualifier
African News5 days ago
Trump Proposed Budget Deeply Cut Aid To Kenya
Sports News7 days ago
FIFA Urged To Probe Qatar World Cup Accusations
African News3 days ago
Cameroon: U.S. Official Calls On Cameroon To Release Opposition Leader
Nigerian News3 days ago
NNPC Awaits Order To Take Over OML From Shell
Business News5 days ago
Boeing Shares Continue To Slide As Countries Ground 737 MAX Planes