S/Korean Court Orders Japan Corps To Pay WWII Workers $350m – World News – African News Network | Latest African News | Nigerian News | Breaking News
Connect with us

World News

S/Korean Court Orders Japan Corps To Pay WWII Workers $350m

Published

on

S/Korean Court Orders Japan Corps To Pay WWII Workers $350m

South Korea’s top court ruled on Tuesday that Japan’s Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal Corp. should compensate four South Koreans for their forced labor during World War Two.

The ruling of the court could freeze ties between the uneasy neighbors.

Nippon Steel said the verdict was “deeply regrettable” and that it would review it before taking any next steps while Japan’s Foreign Ministry said it would summon the South Korean ambassador.

In a landmark ruling, South Korea’s Supreme Court upheld a 2013 order for the company to pay 100 million won ($87,700) to each of the four steel workers, bringing the total money to be paid to $350.8 million.

READ:  France's Macron Lashes Out On Deteriorating Human Rights In Egypt

The forced workers initiated the suit in 2005, seeking compensation and unpaid wages.

The court ruled that the former laborers’ right to reparation was not terminated by a 1965 treaty normalizing diplomatic ties, rejecting the claim by Tokyo and Japanese courts, Yonhap news agency said.

Japan and South Korea share a bitter history that includes Japan’s 35-year occupation of the Korean peninsula until 1945 and the use of comfort women, Japan’s euphemism for girls and women, many of them Korean, forced to work in its wartime brothels.

READ:  Two Koreas, U.N. Command Hold First Talks On Disarming Border

Japan’s Foreign Ministry told Reuters that the issue of compensation was “settled completely and finally” by the 1965 deal.

Lee Choon-shik, the 98-year-old sole surviving plaintiff, welcomed the ruling, saying in a televised news conference that it was “heartbreaking to see it today, left alone alive”.

READ:  Protests In Hungary Worries President Viktor Orban

Some Seoul officials and experts fear the court’s decision, final and binding, could bring repercussions for relations.

If Nippon Steel refuses to compensate, the plaintiffs could request a seizure of the company’s property in South Korea, which may result in an exit of some Japanese businesses and a cut in investment.

South Korea’s foreign ministry said in 2016 any seizure of company assets could drive relations into an “irreversible catastrophe”.

World News

Israel Hits Targets Across Gaza After Rocket Attack

Published

on

By

Israel Hits Targets Across Gaza After Rocket Attack

Israeli forces have struck targets across the Gaza strip through Tuesday, including the offices of Hamas supreme leader, in response to a surprise rocket attack from the Palestinian territory.  The military has bolstered its troops and rocket-defense systems in anticipation of a new round of heavy fighting with the Islamic militant group.

READ:  Chill In The Air As Pompeo Meets Chinese Counterparts In Beijing

Israel opened public bomb shelters in most major cities and civil defense authorities canceled sports events and public transportation in southern Israel.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who had hurried back to Israel from Washington because of the rocket attack, said Israel will not tolerate this, and that he, personally, would not tolerate it. He said Israel will respond forcefully to the rocket attack he called wanton aggression.

READ:  10 Civilians Killed In Afghan Airstrike

Israeli military said it had retaliated to the latest rocket attacks with fifteen airstrikes.  It also said Hamas military sites and those for smaller jihad group had been hit.

READ:  France's Macron Lashes Out On Deteriorating Human Rights In Egypt

Hamas has been leading weekly protests along the Israeli border for the past year in hopes of easing an Israeli-Egyptian blockade, but the demonstrations in which nearly two hundred persons have been killed by Israeli fire, have done little to improve conditions.

Continue Reading

World News

Theresa May Loses Control Of Brexit Negotiations, Parliament Takes Over

Published

on

By

Theresa May Loses Control Of Brexit Negotiations, Parliament Takes Over

British Prime Minister, Theresa May, could not be said to have had a good day on Tuesday as she lost control of the Brexit negotiations.  The Prime Minister says parliament’s decision to take control of the stalled process of leaving the European Union underscores the need for lawmakers to approve her twice-defeated deal.

READ:  Stocks Crumble As Global Growth, U.S. Earnings Fears Spook Markets

The House of Commons voted on Monday to take control of the parliamentary timetable on Wednesday so lawmakers can vote on alternatives to the withdrawal agreement the prime minister negotiated with the EU.

READ:  Two Koreas, U.N. Command Hold First Talks On Disarming Border

Health secretary, Matt Hancock said on BBC news on Tuesday the government won’t “pre-commit” to accepting the option backed by lawmakers.  He wants lawmakers to support the prime minister’s agreement because, as he put it, the best way through the impasse is the one deal the prime minister has already negotiated with the EU.

READ:  North, South Korea Agree On Third Summit To Be Held In Pyongyang

Tuesday’s events are sure to further complicate the process of Britain leaving the bloc.

Continue Reading

African News

UN Says Around 1.85 Million People Affected By Cyclone In Mozambique

Published

on

By

UN Says Around 1.85 million People Affected By Cyclone In Mozambique

The United Nations’ humanitarian agency OCHA has on Tuesday disclosed that close to 1.85 million people have now been affected by Cyclone Idai and its aftermath in Mozambique alone.

“Some will be in critical, life threatening situations. Some will sadly have lost their livelihoods, which whilst an appalling tragedy is not immediately life threatening,” OCHA coordinator Sebastian Rhodes Stampa said.

READ:  Massive Societal Changes Needed To Meet Lower Global Warming Target World Needs - U.N.

Relief organizations, including the international federation of the red cross and red crescent societies, say some cases of cholera had already been reported. Meanwhile, in Zimbabwe the country’s entertainment stars have organized a concert to raise funds to help victims.  There is growing fear of starvation in communities that have been cut off by smashed bridges or destroyed roads.

READ:  Stocks Crumble As Global Growth, U.S. Earnings Fears Spook Markets

The United Nations is also making an emergency appeal for $282 million for the next three months to help Mozambique start recovering.

The UN funding will be used to provide water, sanitation, education and restoring the livelihoods of the hundreds of thousands of displaced people, UN humanitarian chief Mark Lowcock said Monday.

READ:  Two Koreas, U.N. Command Hold First Talks On Disarming Border

Continue Reading

Trending

Subscribe to ANN News Alert

Be the first to receive the latest news from Africa and around the world.

%d bloggers like this: