Saudi Team Probing Journalist's Disappearance Leaves Istanbul Consulate - Witness – African News Network | Latest African News | Nigerian News | Breaking News
Connect with us

World News

Saudi Team Probing Journalist’s Disappearance Leaves Istanbul Consulate – Witness

Published

on

Saudi Team Probing Journalist's Disappearance Leaves Istanbul Consulate

A Saudi team investigating the disappearance of journalist Jamal Khashoggi has left the Saudi consulate building in Istanbul, a Reuters witness said on Tuesday.

A team of around 10 Turkish police investigators and a prosecutor had already left after a nine-hour search.

READ:  Indonesia Scrambles To Help Quake-Hit Island As Death Toll Tops 800

Earlier, a Turkish diplomatic source had said a joint Turkish-Saudi team would search the consulate, the last place where Khashoggi was seen before he vanished on Oct. 2.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

World News

Israel Hits Targets Across Gaza After Rocket Attack

Published

on

By

Israel Hits Targets Across Gaza After Rocket Attack

Israeli forces have struck targets across the Gaza strip through Tuesday, including the offices of Hamas supreme leader, in response to a surprise rocket attack from the Palestinian territory.  The military has bolstered its troops and rocket-defense systems in anticipation of a new round of heavy fighting with the Islamic militant group.

READ:  Double Hard Court Blow For Trump, Implicated By Ex-Lawyer

Israel opened public bomb shelters in most major cities and civil defense authorities canceled sports events and public transportation in southern Israel.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who had hurried back to Israel from Washington because of the rocket attack, said Israel will not tolerate this, and that he, personally, would not tolerate it. He said Israel will respond forcefully to the rocket attack he called wanton aggression.

READ:  Facebook To Drop On-Site Support For Political Campaigns

Israeli military said it had retaliated to the latest rocket attacks with fifteen airstrikes.  It also said Hamas military sites and those for smaller jihad group had been hit.

READ:  'Trumpaganda' Now A Course In US University

Hamas has been leading weekly protests along the Israeli border for the past year in hopes of easing an Israeli-Egyptian blockade, but the demonstrations in which nearly two hundred persons have been killed by Israeli fire, have done little to improve conditions.

Continue Reading

World News

Theresa May Loses Control Of Brexit Negotiations, Parliament Takes Over

Published

on

By

Theresa May Loses Control Of Brexit Negotiations, Parliament Takes Over

British Prime Minister, Theresa May, could not be said to have had a good day on Tuesday as she lost control of the Brexit negotiations.  The Prime Minister says parliament’s decision to take control of the stalled process of leaving the European Union underscores the need for lawmakers to approve her twice-defeated deal.

READ:  More Than A Thousand Remain Missing A Week After Hurricane Michael

The House of Commons voted on Monday to take control of the parliamentary timetable on Wednesday so lawmakers can vote on alternatives to the withdrawal agreement the prime minister negotiated with the EU.

READ:  Syria: Assad Vows To Retake US-Backed Kurds Area

Health secretary, Matt Hancock said on BBC news on Tuesday the government won’t “pre-commit” to accepting the option backed by lawmakers.  He wants lawmakers to support the prime minister’s agreement because, as he put it, the best way through the impasse is the one deal the prime minister has already negotiated with the EU.

READ:  Indonesia Scrambles To Help Quake-Hit Island As Death Toll Tops 800

Tuesday’s events are sure to further complicate the process of Britain leaving the bloc.

Continue Reading

African News

UN Says Around 1.85 Million People Affected By Cyclone In Mozambique

Published

on

By

UN Says Around 1.85 million People Affected By Cyclone In Mozambique

The United Nations’ humanitarian agency OCHA has on Tuesday disclosed that close to 1.85 million people have now been affected by Cyclone Idai and its aftermath in Mozambique alone.

“Some will be in critical, life threatening situations. Some will sadly have lost their livelihoods, which whilst an appalling tragedy is not immediately life threatening,” OCHA coordinator Sebastian Rhodes Stampa said.

READ:  Next-wave LNG Race Hits Hurdles In U.S.- China Trade War

Relief organizations, including the international federation of the red cross and red crescent societies, say some cases of cholera had already been reported. Meanwhile, in Zimbabwe the country’s entertainment stars have organized a concert to raise funds to help victims.  There is growing fear of starvation in communities that have been cut off by smashed bridges or destroyed roads.

READ:  Facebook To Drop On-Site Support For Political Campaigns

The United Nations is also making an emergency appeal for $282 million for the next three months to help Mozambique start recovering.

The UN funding will be used to provide water, sanitation, education and restoring the livelihoods of the hundreds of thousands of displaced people, UN humanitarian chief Mark Lowcock said Monday.

READ:  Ethiopian government and opposition start talks on amending anti-terrorism law

Continue Reading

Trending

Subscribe to ANN News Alert

Be the first to receive the latest news from Africa and around the world.

%d bloggers like this: