SoftBank CEO Son Not To Speak At Saudi Conference, Could Still Attend: WSJ – African News Network | Latest African News | Nigerian News | Breaking News
Connect with us

World News

SoftBank CEO Son Not To Speak At Saudi Conference, Could Still Attend: WSJ

Published

on

SoftBank CEO Son Not To Speak At Saudi Conference, Could Still Attend: WSJ

SoftBank Group Corp Chief Executive Masayoshi Son has canceled a speaking engagement at this week’s Saudi Arabia investment conference but could still attend, the Wall Street Journal said on Tuesday, citing a conference representative.

The cancellation comes as pressure mounts on Riyadh over the disappearance and death of journalist Jamal Khashoggi, with many high-profile company executives pulling out altogether.

Son’s absence from the stage would be in marked contrast to last year’s inaugural event, where the 61-year-old Japanese entrepreneur was a notable presence leading credence to Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman’s efforts to bring foreign investment into the Gulf kingdom.

READ:  Australia Offers Rare National Apology To Victims Of Child Sex Abuse

A SoftBank spokeswoman did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Nearly half of the more than $93 billion raised last year to create SoftBank’s Vision Fund came from Saudi Arabia, giving Son the firepower to make big bets in late-stage startups such as Uber Technologies Inc and shared office space provider WeWork Cos.

READ:  US Blames China For Data Hack Of Marriott Hotel

SoftBank has repeatedly declined to comment on whether SoftBank management including Son would attend, even as executives from portfolio companies Uber and Improbable dropped out.

Son’s mix of visionary rhetoric and hard-headed business decisions has given him an oversized presence in the tech world.

However alarm over Saudi’s involvement in the disappearance of Khashoggi has underlined his investment juggernaut’s reliance on backers such as the kingdom at a time of rising political tensions.

READ:  Indonesia Deploys Divers, 'Pinger Locators' In Hunt For Doomed Plane's Cockpit Recorders

Arm Holdings CEO Simon Segars has pulled out of the event, a source told Reuters on Monday. SoftBank acquired the chip designer in 2016.

Bloomberg reported on Monday that SoftBank Chief Operating Officer Marcelo Claure would also not attend.

World News

UPDATES: Dutch Police Arrest Suspect In Deadly Tram Shooting

Published

on

By

Dutch Police Arrest Suspect In Deadly Tram Shooting

Dutch police have arrested The suspect in the deadly tram shooting in Utrecht, Netherlands, officials say.

Motive for the shooting remains unclear; police have said they were investigating a “possible terrorist motive” for the attack, but reports have also emerged that the shooting might have its roots in a family dispute.

READ:  Death Toll Rises To 11 In Istanbul Building Collapse

The shooting incident occurred in the Dutch city of Utrecht where a gunman opened fire on a tram in the central part of the city on Monday killing at least three persons and wounding nine.

READ:  Arron Banks Probed Over Money Controversy

Utrecht police have released a photo of the suspect. He is Gokmen Tanis, a 37-year-old Turkish national.

Continue Reading

World News

Utrecht Shooting: Gunman Kills 3 People On Dutch Tram In Possible Terrorist Attack

Published

on

By

Utrecht Shooting: Gunman Kills 3 People On Dutch Tram In Possible Terrorist Attack

A shooting incident has occurred just a few hours ago in the Dutch city of Utrecht where a gunman opened fire on a tram in the central part of the city on Monday killing at least three persons and wounding nine.

READ:  Indonesian Leader Says All Quake Victims Must Be Found As Toll Rises Above 1,200

The terror threat level around the city has been raised to maximum. They say the incident is being considered a possible terrorist incident.

Utrecht police have released a photo of the suspect.  He is Gokmen Tanis, a 37-year-old Turkish national.

READ:  Divers Close In On Trapped Children In Thailand

Police say there is the possibility there could be more than one shooter involved in the attack.

In neighboring Germany, police were carrying out checks on trains from the Netherlands and manning highways as well as mirror border crossings.

READ:  President Trump's Tariffs Hits U.S. Solar

Continue Reading

World News

Utrecht Shooting: Three Die In Tram Attack, Police Hunt For Turkish Man

Published

on

By

Utrecht Shooting: Three Die In Tram Attack, Police Hunt For Turkish Man

Dutch security forces were hunting for a 37-year-old Turkish man suspected of having shot several people, three of them fatally, on a tram in the city of Utrecht on Monday, in what authorities said appeared to be a terrorist attack.

READ:  More Violence Expected In France As Protesters Reject President Macron's "Olive Branch"

Dutch authorities raised the terrorism threat to its highest level in Utrecht province, schools were told to shut their doors and paramilitary police increased security at airports and other vital infrastructure and also at mosques.

READ:  Donald Trump Seeks Help From Pakistani Prime Minister To End Afghan War

Continue Reading

Trending

Subscribe to ANN News Alert

Be the first to receive the latest news from Africa and around the world.

%d bloggers like this: