South Sudan Peace Deal Bumpy As Rebel Leader Doesn't Return – African News Network | Latest African News | Nigerian News | Breaking News
Connect with us

African News

South Sudan Peace Deal Bumpy As Rebel Leader Doesn’t Return

Published

on

South Sudan Peace Deal Bumpy As Rebel Leader Doesn't Return

South Sudan’s government is spending millions of dollars next week to celebrate a “final final” peace deal to end a five-year civil war. One problem: The rebel leader who agreed to share power is reluctant to come home.

Riek Machar’s hesitation amid security concerns is the latest sign that one of Africa’s deadliest conflicts might be merely on pause.

Worried observers can list several more: Key implementation deadlines have not been met. Cease-fire violations continue amid shocking abuses. And detainees who should have been freed remain behind bars.

“There’s been no indication that the peace deal’s been working,” said Denay J Chagor, chairperson of South Sudan’s United Movement opposition party, who helped negotiate the peace talks.

He told The Associated Press it looks unlikely that Machar and President Salva Kiir, whose previous attempts at sharing power have erupted in gunfire, will ever work together again despite their recent handshakes.

Under the peace deal, Machar is meant to return as Kiir’s deputy. Tensions between their supporters led to the outbreak of the civil war in late 2013, and Machar’s second attempt as vice president under a previous agreement lasted a few months before fighting broke out in 2016 and he fled on foot into exile.

READ:  Machar 'Happy' To Meet Kiir

State of emergency

In a letter to Kiir last week, Machar said he would return for Tuesday’s event only if the president meets three demands: Lifting the state of emergency, releasing all prisoners of war and allowing free movement for opposition parties currently based abroad.

“It would be absolutely unprofessional and a security blunder for the (opposition) to allow him go to Juba without his protection force, keeping in mind the unwillingness of the regime to adhere to the cease-fire,” opposition spokesperson Lam Paul Gabriel told the AP. The government must show a commitment to the peace deal by first silencing the guns, he said.

Kiir this week tried to be reassuring, telling Kenya’s Citizen TV that Machar’s safety is secured by the government.

South Sudan’s civil war has crippled the nation, killing almost 400 000 people with violence and disease according to one recent estimate. Attacks occurred even as the warring sides negotiated the peace deal, with both opposition and government forces accused of making a final grab for territory before the fighting stopped.

Rape has been a widespread weapon of war. A United Nations report this month accused the opposition of abducting women and girls as young as 12 and lining them up so commanders could choose “wives.” Those not selected were left to be raped repeatedly by other fighters, the report said after hearing from victims and witnesses.

READ:  Report: South Sudan Armed Opposition Seized Girls As 'Wives'

‘There is little to show’

“There may be a new peace deal in South Sudan but government forces are committing new abuses against civilians,” said Jehanne Henry, associate Africa director at Human Rights Watch, which this week reported that troops attacked civilians and burned homes in Western Bahr el Gazal region from June through September, forcing tens of thousands to flee.

While South Sudan’s government and regional countries that brokered the agreement have trumpeted the peace deal, it has been met with scepticism elsewhere. For the first time the United States, Britain and Norway, the troika that ushered South Sudan into independence, decided not to sign the agreement, saying they remained “concerned about the parties’ level of commitment.”

Six weeks since the signing, some observers say there is little to show.

According to a progress report released earlier this month by the Joint Monitoring and Evaluation Committee charged with overseeing implementation, several deadlines have been missed.

READ:  UAE To Build Oil Pipeline Between Eritrea And Ethiopia

Those include the formation of two key bodies meant to be established within days of the deal: the Joint Defence Board, responsible for securing the permanent cease-fire, and the Independent Boundaries Commission, tasked with defining the number of states.

While acknowledging there have been setbacks, South Sudan’s government denies that things aren’t progressing.

“It is not true, the peace agreement is being implemented in letter and spirit and those who criticize it think peace is a one-night event instead of it being a process,” said government spokesman Ateny Wek Ateny.

Recent days have shown some movement. This week a separate committee tasked with monitoring the peace deal’s early implementation convened for the first time in Sudan to discuss a roadmap for peace. Last week the government released 24 political detainees.

While some South Sudan experts are not surprised at the shaky start, at least one doesn’t see the situation stabilising any time soon.

“Too many delays and the deal can stall out,” Alan Boswell, senior analyst at the International Crisis Group, told the AP. “If the parties are pushed too hard, though, the accord can collapse as it did last time.”

African News

Morocco: Teachers Protest Over Poor Working Conditions

Published

on

By

Morocco: Teachers Protest Over Poor Working Condition

More than ten thousand Moroccan teachers have staged a new protest in the capital, Rabat, on Sunday to demand better working conditions.  This followed another demonstration that was broken up by police.

READ:  'No Foreign Rescue Plan' For Kidnapped African Billionaire

These nationwide teacher strikes in Morocco have continued for three weeks and have drawn at least seventy-thousand public school teachers, marching across the country to protest against a new teacher employment contract they see as an attack on their rights and financial security.

READ:  Namibia Scraps Rule Allowing Blacks-Owned Companies Only Apply For Mining Licences

Their demands include legal due process for teachers facing dismissal, protection of the right to strike, periodic pay increases, increased teacher training, improved student transport and construction of more schools.

READ:  Ethiopian Marathoner Who Made Rio Protest Returns From Exile

Continue Reading

African News

Cyclone Idai: Cases Of Cholera Reported In Storm-Hit Areas

Published

on

By

Cyclone Idai: Cases Of Cholera Reported In Hit Areas

Malawi, Mozambique, and Zimbabwe were hit last week by one of the biggest and most aggressive cyclones ever recorded in the Southern African region.  It took the storm a few hours to kill hundreds, topple homes, uproot trees and leave scores of residents submerged in water.

READ:  Kanye West, Kim Kardashian 'Excited' After Museveni Gives Them Ugandan Names

Mozambique’s third largest city, Beira, received the largest share of the devastation.  The Port City was turned upside down.  The extent of the devastation is massive, and the city is still primarily without electricity, running water and mobile phone service.

READ:  Sudan Opposition Leader Says 22 Killed In Bread Protests

Relief organizations, including the international federation of the red cross and red crescent societies, say some cases of cholera had already been reported.

Meanwhile, Zimbabwe storm victims now face grief and hunger.  The country’s entertainment stars have organized a concert to raise funds to help victims.  There is growing fear of starvation in communities that have been cut off by smashed bridges or destroyed roads.

READ:  Ethiopian Marathoner Who Made Rio Protest Returns From Exile

Continue Reading

African News

UN says Death Toll From Massacre In Mali Now Up To 134

Published

on

By

United Nations says Death Toll From Massacre In Mali Now 134

The United Nations says death toll from massacre in a village in Mali has risen to 134.

An ethnic Dogon militia, already blamed for scores of attacks in central Mali over the past year, is said to have attacked an ethnic village just before dawn on Saturday. The militia accused the ethnic community of having ties to jihadist groups.

READ:  Moroccan Star Arrested In France Over Alleged Rape

A visiting UN representative said in Bamako the killings are an “unspeakable attack.”  Meanwhile, UN Secretary-General, Antonio Gutterres condemned the attack and called on Malian authorities to swiftly investigate and bring perpetrators to justice.

READ:  Uganda Sets To Take 75,000 Refugees From DRC Despite Ebola Scare

Continue Reading

Trending

Subscribe to ANN News Alert

Be the first to receive the latest news from Africa and around the world.

%d bloggers like this: