Suicide Bomb Targets Italian Army Trainers In Somali Capital – African News Network | Latest African News | Nigerian News | Breaking News
Connect with us

African News

Suicide Bomb Targets Italian Army Trainers In Somali Capital

Published

on

Suicide Bomb Targets Italian Army Trainers In Somali Capital

A Somali police officer says a suicide car bomber has targeted a European Union military convoy carrying Italian military trainers in the Somali capital Monday.

Captain Mohamed Hussein said the car bomber detonated his explosives-laden vehicle next to a military convoy near Somalia’s defense ministry compound, injuring several soldiers.

READ:  Tunisia Tour Operator First Jewish Minister In Decades

One civilian has also been killed in the powerful blast. Somalia’s Islamic extremist rebels, al-Shabaab, claimed responsibility for the blast through its radio arm, Andalus.

READ:  Burundi Refuses To Register Key Opposition Party

There was no immediate comment from the European Union on the attack on its military convoy. The Italian military trainers were reportedly trainings members of the Somali army.

African News

Morocco: Teachers Protest Over Poor Working Conditions

Published

on

By

Morocco: Teachers Protest Over Poor Working Condition

More than ten thousand Moroccan teachers have staged a new protest in the capital, Rabat, on Sunday to demand better working conditions.  This followed another demonstration that was broken up by police.

READ:  Tunisia Tour Operator First Jewish Minister In Decades

These nationwide teacher strikes in Morocco have continued for three weeks and have drawn at least seventy-thousand public school teachers, marching across the country to protest against a new teacher employment contract they see as an attack on their rights and financial security.

READ:  Kenya: Death Toll Rises To 24 In Nairobi Attack

Their demands include legal due process for teachers facing dismissal, protection of the right to strike, periodic pay increases, increased teacher training, improved student transport and construction of more schools.

READ:  Comoros Votes To Allow President To Run For Further Term

Continue Reading

African News

Cyclone Idai: Cases Of Cholera Reported In Storm-Hit Areas

Published

on

By

Cyclone Idai: Cases Of Cholera Reported In Hit Areas

Malawi, Mozambique, and Zimbabwe were hit last week by one of the biggest and most aggressive cyclones ever recorded in the Southern African region.  It took the storm a few hours to kill hundreds, topple homes, uproot trees and leave scores of residents submerged in water.

READ:  Comoros Votes To Allow President To Run For Further Term

Mozambique’s third largest city, Beira, received the largest share of the devastation.  The Port City was turned upside down.  The extent of the devastation is massive, and the city is still primarily without electricity, running water and mobile phone service.

READ:  Former President Of Burundi Dismisses "Politically Motivated" Arrest

Relief organizations, including the international federation of the red cross and red crescent societies, say some cases of cholera had already been reported.

Meanwhile, Zimbabwe storm victims now face grief and hunger.  The country’s entertainment stars have organized a concert to raise funds to help victims.  There is growing fear of starvation in communities that have been cut off by smashed bridges or destroyed roads.

READ:  Boko Haram: US Gives Operation Centre To Niger Army

Continue Reading

African News

UN says Death Toll From Massacre In Mali Now Up To 134

Published

on

By

United Nations says Death Toll From Massacre In Mali Now 134

The United Nations says death toll from massacre in a village in Mali has risen to 134.

An ethnic Dogon militia, already blamed for scores of attacks in central Mali over the past year, is said to have attacked an ethnic village just before dawn on Saturday. The militia accused the ethnic community of having ties to jihadist groups.

READ:  Tunisia Tour Operator First Jewish Minister In Decades

A visiting UN representative said in Bamako the killings are an “unspeakable attack.”  Meanwhile, UN Secretary-General, Antonio Gutterres condemned the attack and called on Malian authorities to swiftly investigate and bring perpetrators to justice.

READ:  Death Toll In DRC From Ebola Outbreak Now At 61

Continue Reading

Trending

Subscribe to ANN News Alert

Be the first to receive the latest news from Africa and around the world.

%d bloggers like this: