Turkey Aide Rejects Riyadh's Khashoggi Death Story, Echoing Western Skepticism – African News Network | Latest African News | Nigerian News | Breaking News
Connect with us

World News

Turkey Aide Rejects Riyadh’s Khashoggi Death Story, Echoing Western Skepticism

Published

on

Turkey Aide Rejects Riyadh's Khashoggi Death Story, Echoing Western Skepticism

An adviser to Turkey’s president on Monday rejected Riyadh’s assertion that Jamal Khashoggi died in a fight, suggesting it “mocked” world opinion, as Western incredulity deepened over varying Saudi accounts of the journalist’s killing.

Khashoggi, a Washington Post columnist and a critic of Saudi’s powerful crown prince, disappeared three weeks ago after he entered the Saudi consulate in Istanbul to obtain documents for an upcoming marriage.

Riyadh’s reaction since – it initially denied knowledge of his fate before saying he was killed in a fight in the consulate – has left several Western governments incredulous and strained ties with the world’s largest oil exporter.

On Sunday Saudi Arabia’s Foreign Minister, Adel al-Jubeir, said that Khashoggi had died in a “rogue operation”. But some of his comments appeared to contradict previous statements from Riyadh, marking yet another shift in the official story.

A clutch of countries, including Germany, Britain, France and Turkey, have pressed Riyadh to provide all the facts, and Chancellor Angela Merkel said Berlin would not export arms to Saudi Arabia while uncertainty over Khashoggi’s fate persisted.

“One cannot help but wonder how there could have been a ‘fistfight’ between 15 young expert fighters … and a 60-year-old Khashoggi, alone and defenseless,” Yasin Aktay, an adviser to Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan and a friend of Khashoggi’s, wrote in the pro-government Yeni Safak newspaper.

READ:  Denmark Suspends Approvals Of Weapon Exports To Saudi

“The ‘fistfight’ argument regarding Khashoggi’s death is a scenario which was hastily made up, as it became clear that all the details of the incident will soon come out,” Aktay wrote.

“The more one thinks about it, the more it feels like our intelligence is being mocked,” he wrote.

Erdogan has said he will release information about Turkey’s investigation in a speech on Tuesday.

Turkish officials suspect Khashoggi was killed inside the consulate by Saudi agents and his body cut up. Turkish sources say authorities have an audio recording purportedly documenting the murder of the 59-year-old.

For Saudi Arabia’s allies, the question will be whether they believe that Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, who has painted himself as a reformer, has any culpability. King Salman, 82, has handed the day-to-day running of Saudi Arabia to him.

‘ROGUE OPERATION’

“This was an operation that was a rogue operation. This was an operation where individuals ended up exceeding the authorities and responsibilities they had,” Jubeir told U.S. broadcaster Fox.

“They made the mistake when they killed Jamal Khashoggi in the consulate and they tried to cover up for it,” he said.

Jubeir extended condolences to Khashoggi’s family. “Unfortunately, a huge and grave mistake was made and I assure them that those responsible will be held accountable for this.”

READ:  U.S. Senators Blame Saudi Prince For Khashoggi Death

But, in some critical areas, his explanation appeared to depart from previous official statements.

He said the Saudis did not know how Khashoggi had been killed. That contradicted the public prosecutor’s statement a day earlier that Khashoggi died after a “fistfight” with people who met him inside the consulate. It also contradicted two Saudi officials’ comments to Reuters that it was a chokehold that killed him.

Jubeir also said the Saudis did not know where Khashoggi’s body was, though one of the Saudi officials had told Reuters it was wrapped up in a rug, taken out of the consulate in a vehicle and handed over to a “local cooperator” for disposal.

Prior to Jubeir’s interview, a senior Saudi official laid out a version that itself contradicted earlier explanations. That account includes details on how 15 Saudis sent to confront Khashoggi had threatened him with being drugged and kidnapped and killed him in a chokehold when he resisted.

A member of the team dressed in Khashoggi’s clothes to make it appear as if he had left the consulate. Support for that strand of the account appeared to come from footage aired by CNN showing a man dressed as Khashoggi walking around Istanbul. CNN described the images as law enforcement surveillance footage.

U.S. LAWMAKERS

Some top U.S. lawmakers turned their ire on the crown prince and said they believed he ordered the killing. “Do I think he did it? Yes, I think he did it,” Republican Senator Bob Corker, the influential chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, said in an interview with CNN.

READ:  Huawei Executive Arrested In Poland For Spying Allegations

Both Republicans and Democrats have turned their attention to the role of the prince, with whom President Donald Trump and his son-in-law and White House adviser Jared Kushner have cultivated a close relationship.

Over the course of the crisis, Trump’s comments have varied from appearing to downplay Riyadh’s role in the incident, to warning of potential economic sanctions. He has repeatedly highlighted the kingdom’s importance as an ally.

In an interview with the Washington Post, he said “obviously there’s been deception, and there’s been lies.”

Saudi Arabia has no intention of unleashing a 1973-style oil embargo on Western consumers and will isolate oil from politics, energy minister Khalid al-Falih told Russia’s TASS news agency.

Authorities were taking statements from five Turkish employees of the Saudi consulate on Monday, NTV said. Twenty consulate workers, including the consul’s driver, gave statements to prosecutors in relation to the incident last week, NTV has reported previously.

In all, prosecutors are seeking statements from a total of 45 employees, CNN Turk said.

World News

New Zealand: 49 Killed In Mass Shooting At Two Mosques In Christchurch

Published

on

By

New Zealand: 49 Killed In Mass Shooting At Two Mosques In Christchurch

49 persons have been killed and 20 seriously injured in two mass shootings at mosques in the New Zealand city of Christchurch.

Forty-one were killed at the al Noor mosque. Seven died at the Linwood mosque, and one person died at the hospital.

READ:  Denmark Suspends Approvals Of Weapon Exports To Saudi

Police say four persons, including three men and one woman, have been taken into custody. They do not believe there are any other suspects but said it was still an open investigation.

READ:  Indonesian Searchers Find Black Box From Crashed Jet On Sea Floor

Police said a male, in his late 20s, has been charged with murder and will appear at the Christchurch court Saturday morning local time.

In a social media post just before the attack, an account that is believed to belong to one of the attackers posted a link to an 87-page manifesto that was filled with anti-immigrant, anti-Muslim ideas and explanations for an attack. The manifesto was not signed.

READ:  We'll Pay If You Take In Migrants, Brussels Tells EU Governments

Continue Reading

World News

Britain Votes In Favor Of Delaying Brexit

Published

on

By

British Parliament Vote In Favor Of Delaying Brexit

Britain’s parliament has voted in favour of delaying by three months, UK’s departure from the European Union pending approval of Prime Minister Theresa May’s Brexit deal within a week.

MPs in the house of commons voted four hundred twelve to two hundred two on Thursday in Favour of a government motion proposing pushing the UK’s exit from the bloc beyond the scheduled March the 29th date.

READ:  Australia Offers Rare National Apology To Victims Of Child Sex Abuse

The motion said the government would seek a “one-off extension” until June the 30th “for the purpose of passing the necessary EU exit legislation,” provided May’s widely maligned deal wins parliament’s approval by Wednesday next week.

READ:  Turkey Will Boycott U.S. Electronic Products – Erdogan

If May fails to win parliamentary approval for her deal by march 20, the Brexit delay could be extended beyond three months. Twice now, British legislators have overwhelmingly rejected her EU divorce deal.

READ:  Denmark Suspends Approvals Of Weapon Exports To Saudi

Continue Reading

World News

Israel Launches Gaza Air Attacks After Rockets Fired At Tel Aviv

Published

on

By

Israel Launches Gaza Air Attacks After Rockets Fired At Tel Aviv

Israel launched air attacks on Gaza hours after rockets were fired aimed at Tel Aviv.

This has raised fears of a major escalation in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

Explosions were heard in the Gaza strip early on Friday and Palestinian witnesses said Israeli planes bombed Hamas security positions.

READ:  US Strategy For Africa Focuses On Growing Influence Of China And Russia

A Gaza Palestinian security source told AFP news agency about 30 raids targeted positions held by the military wing of Hamas and its ally Islamic jihad, causing significant damage.

READ:  World Environment Day, 2018: Plastic Pollution In Nigeria

Local Palestinian agencies reported a woman and her husband were both injured in the southern city of Rafah, but did not provide further details.

Israeli military said it was attacking “terror sites” in Gaza, hours after it said two rockets were launched from the enclave in the Tel Aviv area.

READ:  U.S. Senators Blame Saudi Prince For Khashoggi Death

Continue Reading

Trending

Subscribe to ANN News Alert

Be the first to receive the latest news from Africa and around the world.

%d bloggers like this: