UN Bars Nigerian Peacekeeper For Sexually Exploiting Woman – African News Network | Latest African News | Nigerian News | Breaking News
Connect with us

African News

UN Bars Nigerian Peacekeeper For Sexually Exploiting Woman

Published

on

UN Bars Nigerian Peacekeeper For Sexually Exploiting Woman

A Nigerian policeman who served as a UN peacekeeper in the Democratic Republic of Congo has been sent home and barred from peacekeeping after an investigation found he had sexually exploited a woman, a UN spokesman said on Tuesday.

The allegations against the Nigerian national date back to February and March 2017, but the woman later withdrew her complaint to the Monusco peace mission.

The UN investigators “found that the allegation of sexual exploitation was substantiated and that the victim had been paid off by the alleged subject to withdraw her complaint,” said the UN spokesperson Farhan Haq.

READ:  U.S. Airstrikes Kill 62 Al-Shabaab Militants In Somalia

The policeman, who had since moved on to serve in the UN mission in South Sudan, was recently sent home and UN officials have asked Nigeria to report on any disciplinary or legal action taken against him.

The UN peacekeeping missions are facing a damaging wave of allegations of sex abuse and sexual exploitation of civilians that they are mandated to protect in conflict zones worldwide.

READ:  Zambia Defies Court Order, Hands Over Tendai Biti To Zimbabwean Police - Lawyer

Under UN rules, it is up to the troop- or police-contributing country to take action against their nationals in cases of misconduct in peacekeeping missions.

That has led to complaints that peacekeepers have not been held accountable in their countries for sexual abuse and exploitation of civilians while serving under the UN flag.

READ:  Divers Recover Black Box From Lion Air Flight In Indonesia

The UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres has vowed to toughen the response to allegations of misconduct by the peacekeepers.

Last month, the Security Council adopted a US-drafted resolution aimed at reinforcing measures such as repatriating peacekeepers and withholding UN payments to soldiers involved in misconduct.

The United Nations has 96 000 peacekeepers serving in 14 missions worldwide.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

African News

Morocco: Teachers Protest Over Poor Working Conditions

Published

on

By

Morocco: Teachers Protest Over Poor Working Condition

More than ten thousand Moroccan teachers have staged a new protest in the capital, Rabat, on Sunday to demand better working conditions.  This followed another demonstration that was broken up by police.

READ:  Ethiopia Has 'No Option' But Multiparty Democracy - PM

These nationwide teacher strikes in Morocco have continued for three weeks and have drawn at least seventy-thousand public school teachers, marching across the country to protest against a new teacher employment contract they see as an attack on their rights and financial security.

READ:  Zimbabwe Election Boss Denies Being In Sexual Relationship With Any Presidential Candidate

Their demands include legal due process for teachers facing dismissal, protection of the right to strike, periodic pay increases, increased teacher training, improved student transport and construction of more schools.

READ:  Tanzania To Benefit From US Gas Plant Initiative In Africa

Continue Reading

African News

Cyclone Idai: Cases Of Cholera Reported In Storm-Hit Areas

Published

on

By

Cyclone Idai: Cases Of Cholera Reported In Hit Areas

Malawi, Mozambique, and Zimbabwe were hit last week by one of the biggest and most aggressive cyclones ever recorded in the Southern African region.  It took the storm a few hours to kill hundreds, topple homes, uproot trees and leave scores of residents submerged in water.

READ:  Zambia Defies Court Order, Hands Over Tendai Biti To Zimbabwean Police - Lawyer

Mozambique’s third largest city, Beira, received the largest share of the devastation.  The Port City was turned upside down.  The extent of the devastation is massive, and the city is still primarily without electricity, running water and mobile phone service.

READ:  National Assembly Postpones Resumption To October 9

Relief organizations, including the international federation of the red cross and red crescent societies, say some cases of cholera had already been reported.

Meanwhile, Zimbabwe storm victims now face grief and hunger.  The country’s entertainment stars have organized a concert to raise funds to help victims.  There is growing fear of starvation in communities that have been cut off by smashed bridges or destroyed roads.

READ:  Another U.S. City Honours Nigeria, Hoists Flag

Continue Reading

African News

UN says Death Toll From Massacre In Mali Now Up To 134

Published

on

By

United Nations says Death Toll From Massacre In Mali Now 134

The United Nations says death toll from massacre in a village in Mali has risen to 134.

An ethnic Dogon militia, already blamed for scores of attacks in central Mali over the past year, is said to have attacked an ethnic village just before dawn on Saturday. The militia accused the ethnic community of having ties to jihadist groups.

READ:  Divers Recover Black Box From Lion Air Flight In Indonesia

A visiting UN representative said in Bamako the killings are an “unspeakable attack.”  Meanwhile, UN Secretary-General, Antonio Gutterres condemned the attack and called on Malian authorities to swiftly investigate and bring perpetrators to justice.

READ:  Algeria: Opposition To Participate In Governance After Election

Continue Reading

Trending

Subscribe to ANN News Alert

Be the first to receive the latest news from Africa and around the world.

%d bloggers like this: