Veteran Mugabe Interviewer Sued For $1M - Report – African News Network | Latest African News | Nigerian News | Breaking News
Connect with us

African News

Veteran Mugabe Interviewer Sued For $1M – Report

Published

on

Veteran Mugabe Interviewer Sued For $1M

A veteran interviewer of former president Robert Mugabe is being sued for $1m by his employer, the Zimbabwe Broadcasting Corporation, state media reported on Monday.

Tazzen Mandizvidza, ZBC’s head of news and current affairs, is accused of “financial irregularities” that caused the ZBC “massive losses” more than four years ago, according to the state-run Herald newspaper.

“ZBC claims the debt was never cancelled and that the court should now issue an order compelling him to pay $1 083 362,09 with interest,” the paper said.

READ:  Britain Calls For 'Calm, Restraint' After Zimbabwe Violence

The news executive conducted many of the annual birthday interviews with Mugabe in the last years of his rule. Mugabe’s birthday interviews were always painfully long and had to be aired in two parts on successive evenings on state TV. Mandizvidza did Mugabe’s 93rd birthday interview in February last year, just months before the veteran leader was ousted after a brief military takeover.

‘$27 000 per month’

READ:  Cholera Outbreak: Residents Accuse Government Of Not Doing Enough

Mandizvidza was suspended from ZBC in late 2014 in the wake of the “Salarygate” scandal. This involved revelations that many top officials in state-run firms had awarded themselves massive salaries and perks.

READ:  2018 'A Tough Year For MDC', Says Chamisa As He Mourns Tsvangirai's Brother - Reports

Mandizvidza, who was later rehired by ZBC, was said to be earning nearly $27 000 per month, the private Standard newspaper reported at the time.

The paper said 46 managers at ZBC were earning monthly wages that totalled nearly half a million US dollars.

African News

Zimbabwe: Government, Civil Servants Agree Salary Deal

Published

on

By

Zimbabwe: Government, Civil Servants Agree Salary Deal

Zimbabwe government and civil servants have finally agreed to a salary accord after the government increased its offer to four hundred million dollars, up by fifty million.

READ:  Cameroon Pangolin Traffickers Caught In The Act

This means government workers and civil servants will each receive an increment of a hundred twenty-nine dollars effective on April the first.

Negotiations for a further salary review, possibly in June, will continue with consideration of other non-monetary incentives.

READ:  Ramaphosa Congratulates Mnangagwa On Zimbabwe Election Victory

Apex council chairperson, Cecilia Alexander, says the welfare negotiations will continue until the welfare of civil servants improved.

Continue Reading

African News

Niger’s Top Court Outlaws ‘Fifth Wife’ Sex-Slave Maids

Published

on

By

Niger's Top Court Outlaws 'Fifth Wife' Sex-Slave Maids

Niger’s top court has outlawed the practice of keeping women as maids and sex slaves known as “fifth wives.”  This ends a decade-long legal battle by one victim that lawyers say could inspire others in the West African nation to seek justice.

READ:  Cholera Outbreak: Residents Accuse Government Of Not Doing Enough

UK-based anti-slavery international, says the “fifth wife” custom, also known as “wahaya,” is when, in addition to the four wives permitted by Islam, rich men take on other, unofficial wives who live as domestic and sexual slaves.

READ:  23 Illegal Gold Miners Killed After Dam Collapse In Zimbabwe

Thomson-Reuters Foundation says a Nigerien court had initially ruled in favor of the victim’s master, but she appealed the decision.  Last month, the Niger court of appeals ruled that her first marriage was never valid and that all “fifth wife” marriages are illegal.

READ:  Mugabe's In Singapore For Medical Check-Up

Continue Reading

African News

Gunmen Abduct Student Football Team In Cameroon

Published

on

By

Gunmen Abduct Student Football Team In Cameroon

Gunmen have abducted twenty University of Buea male football team members in Cameroon’s southwest. A report says university Vice-Chancellor, Ngono Horace Manga, has confirmed the incident.

READ:  Zanu-PF Bigwigs 'Owe Their Farm Workers Thousands Of US Dollars In Unpaid Wages, Allowances' - Report

The Vice-Chancellor is quoted as saying armed men stormed the university’s football ground and ordered the players who were training for an upcoming competition to leave with them.

READ:  DRC's Health Ministry Says Ebola Spreads To 2nd Province

Manga also said the kidnappers contacted university authorities and demanded a ransom.  He did not disclose the amount for which they were asking.

No group has claimed responsibility for the kidnapping.

READ:  Namibia's Long-Standing Land Issue Remains Unresolved

Continue Reading

Trending

Subscribe to ANN News Alert

Be the first to receive the latest news from Africa and around the world.

%d bloggers like this: