Zim VP Treated In SA For Injuries From June Grenade Attack - Report – African News Network | Latest African News | Nigerian News | Breaking News
Connect with us

African News

Zim VP Treated In SA For Injuries From June Grenade Attack – Report

Published

on

Zim VP Treated In SA For Injuries From June Grenade Attack

Zimbabwe’s vice president is being treated in a South African hospital for the effects of a bomb blast targeting Zanu-PF leaders in June, a state newspaper is reporting.

Vice President Constantino Chiwenga is also receiving treatment for an old war wound, presidential spokesperson George Charamba was quoted as saying by Herald.

The paper said that Chiwenga had “soldiered on” in the wake of the grenade attack on President Emmerson Mnangagwa’s rally in Bulawayo. Chiwenga was not previously reported to have been injured in the blast, which
killed two security aides and injured dozens of others, including Chiwenga’s wife Mary.

READ:  APC Members Ask Party Leaders To Take Action Against Defectors

State TV at the time showed him in apparent good health, visiting the injured in hospital in Bulawayo alongside Mnangagwa.

Fell sick before cabinet meeting

Charamba said Mary Chiwenga was also receiving treatment in South Africa, but he denied social media reports in Zimbabwe that Chiwenga was in bad shape.

READ:  7 Ethiopian Migrants Die In Boat Mishap

“The review has been done both for the general and his wife. The President has been constantly talking to the couple on a daily basis,” Charamba told the Herald.

He added that Chiwenga had “historical” health problems relating to a bullet wound he received during the country’s independence war. He said the couple would return to Zimbabwe this week.

READ:  Three Killed As Zimbabwe Troops, Protesters Clash After Vote

Chiwenga was until last November the commander of the defence forces. He led the military operation that forced former president Robert Mugabe to step down.

The private NewsDay reported on Monday that Chiwenga had to be airlifted to South Africa last week. The paper, citing ruling party sources, said the vice president had fallen sick ahead of a cabinet meeting on October 2.

African News

Zimbabwe: Government, Civil Servants Agree Salary Deal

Published

on

By

Zimbabwe: Government, Civil Servants Agree Salary Deal

Zimbabwe government and civil servants have finally agreed to a salary accord after the government increased its offer to four hundred million dollars, up by fifty million.

READ:  UN Has Failed To Promote Justice In Sudan - ICC Prosecutor

This means government workers and civil servants will each receive an increment of a hundred twenty-nine dollars effective on April the first.

Negotiations for a further salary review, possibly in June, will continue with consideration of other non-monetary incentives.

READ:  Zimbabwe Faces Strike Action By Doctors Over Inadequate Drugs And Health Equipment

Apex council chairperson, Cecilia Alexander, says the welfare negotiations will continue until the welfare of civil servants improved.

Continue Reading

African News

Niger’s Top Court Outlaws ‘Fifth Wife’ Sex-Slave Maids

Published

on

By

Niger's Top Court Outlaws 'Fifth Wife' Sex-Slave Maids

Niger’s top court has outlawed the practice of keeping women as maids and sex slaves known as “fifth wives.”  This ends a decade-long legal battle by one victim that lawyers say could inspire others in the West African nation to seek justice.

READ:  Zimbabwe President Reshuffles Top Ranks Of Civil Service

UK-based anti-slavery international, says the “fifth wife” custom, also known as “wahaya,” is when, in addition to the four wives permitted by Islam, rich men take on other, unofficial wives who live as domestic and sexual slaves.

READ:  Melania Trump Touches Down In Africa

Thomson-Reuters Foundation says a Nigerien court had initially ruled in favor of the victim’s master, but she appealed the decision.  Last month, the Niger court of appeals ruled that her first marriage was never valid and that all “fifth wife” marriages are illegal.

READ:  APC Members Ask Party Leaders To Take Action Against Defectors

Continue Reading

African News

Gunmen Abduct Student Football Team In Cameroon

Published

on

By

Gunmen Abduct Student Football Team In Cameroon

Gunmen have abducted twenty University of Buea male football team members in Cameroon’s southwest. A report says university Vice-Chancellor, Ngono Horace Manga, has confirmed the incident.

READ:  ECA Urges African Countries To Sign Luxembourg Protocol

The Vice-Chancellor is quoted as saying armed men stormed the university’s football ground and ordered the players who were training for an upcoming competition to leave with them.

READ:  Zimbabwe Faces Strike Action By Doctors Over Inadequate Drugs And Health Equipment

Manga also said the kidnappers contacted university authorities and demanded a ransom.  He did not disclose the amount for which they were asking.

No group has claimed responsibility for the kidnapping.

READ:  Mnangagwa Pledges Not To Copy Mugabe

Continue Reading

Trending

Subscribe to ANN News Alert

Be the first to receive the latest news from Africa and around the world.

%d bloggers like this: