How Robbers Attack Commercial Motorcyclists In FCT  – African News Network | Latest African News | Nigerian News | Breaking News
Connect with us

Nigerian News

How Robbers Attack Commercial Motorcyclists In FCT 

Published

on

Commercial motorcyclists popularly known as ‘okada’ operating in Karu area of Federal Capital Territory (FCT), have decried the incessant attacks on them by unknown persons.

They told News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Tuesday in Abuja, that their members had been attacked many times within the last few months, with their motorcycles and other valuables taken away some times.

One of them, Mr Rilwan Adamu, said that the attacks had become a daily affair, adding that in some instances, the attackers drugged their victims before carrying out the heinous act.

He said that their association had reported some of the cases to the police but without any result, and that the incidents had been unabated.

Adamu said that some of his colleagues had relocated to other parts of the territory and Mararaba in Nasarawa state to avoid the ordeal.

Another motorcyclist, Mr Salisu Mohammed, who was attacked two times, said that his motorcycle and valuables were taken away by the thieves after they sprinkled some powdery substance into his eyes.

“I was unconscious and left on the ground before some good Samaritans took me to my house in Mararaba with the help of my membership identification card,’’ he said.

Mohammed said that it was from the business that he catered for his family and appealed to the police in the area to do more to check activities of the criminals.

“We will be happy if the security agencies in Karu provide enabling environment for us to operate,’’ he said.

Another commercial motorcyclist, Mr Danboyi Daniel, said that operating motorcycle around Karu had become scary as “one does not know when the unexpected will happen’’.

Narrating his ordeal, he told NAN that he was once attacked at about 7 p.m. but was lucky to have escaped with the help of some passers-by.

Daniel said that after the attack, he stopped operating in that area beyond 7 p.m. and had stopped picking two passengers at a time to avoid being attacked.

When contacted, Spokesman of the Police in the FCT, DSP Anjuguri Manzah, told NAN that the command had arrested some suspects in connection with the crime and that they were being prosecuted.

He added that personnel of the command attached to the Karu area, would continue to raid all black spots to ensure that crimes and criminality were reduced to the barest minimum.

“The command will continue to sustain the raids on black spots in Karu area to rid it of criminals,“ he said.

Nigerian News

Kidnappers In Ondo State Kill One Of Their Victims

Published

on

By

Kidnappers In Ondo State Kill One Of Their Victims

Kidnappers in Ondo state are said to have killed one of their victims, a lecturer at the Rufus Giwa polytechnic in Owo, six days after they were abducted. Taiwo Akinyemi was reportedly killed on Sunday.

The suspected Fulani gunmen seized four persons, including the deceased, on the Akure-Owo expressway in Owo local government area last week.

They have released the three other victims who are staff members of the federal medical center, Owo.

The gunmen were reported to have tied the body of the fifty-two-year-old Akinyemi to a tree in bush where it was found. He was killed because his family could no pay their ransom demand on time.

Governor Rotimi Akeredolu joined lecturers and students of the polytechnic on Monday in a procession on campus as to respect and honor the late lecturer. Akeredolu described Akinyemi’s death as unfortunate.

Chris Olowolade, Chairman of the Senior Staff Association of Nigerian Polytechnics, Rugipo chapter, said the kidnappers originally asked for a one hundred million Naira ransom which was reduced to seven million Naira after two days. The kidnappers later further reduced it to half a million Naira.

Continue Reading

Nigerian News

ASUU And Nigerian Government Reach Partial Agreement

Published

on

By

ASUU And Nigerian Government Reach Partial Agreement

Meanwhile, Labor Minister, Dr.Chris Ngige, has announced at a reconciliation meeting in Abuja that the government and the academic staff union of universities, ASUU, have reached a partial agreement. He says this should resolve the strike which started in early November.

The minister said they discussed issues related to agreements they had on shortfall in salaries of some federal universities’ workers and lecturers.  He said ASUU has submitted a list to the Accountant-General’s office, and the government has agreed that the presidential initiative on continuous auditing would cross-check that list by Wednesday.

Continue Reading

Nigerian News

SSANU To Embark On 3-Day Nationwide Protest

Published

on

By

SSANU To Embark On 3-Day Nationwide Protest

The Senior Staff Association of Nigerian Universities, SSANU, says it would embark on three-day nationwide protest beginning in a week.

Minister of Labor and Employment, Senator Chris Ngige, announced that the federal government would secure eight billion Naira within five weeks to pay NASU’s joint action committee.

The Union’s public relations officer, Abdussobur Salaam says the protest is about the government’s non-implementation of an agreement it reached with the union.

The Non-Academic Staff Union of Universities, NASU, and the National Association of Academic Technologists, NAAT, had embarked on a nationwide strike in December last year. The action was suspended in march.

Continue Reading

Trending

Subscribe to ANN News Alert

Be the first to receive the latest news from Africa and around the world.

%d bloggers like this: