Zambian Police Commander Defends Rights Of Protesters – African News – African News Network | Latest African News | Nigerian News | Breaking News
Connect with us

African News

Zambian Police Commander Defends Rights Of Protesters

Published

on

Zambian Police Commander Defends Rights Of Protesters

A senior Zambian Police Commander has defended the right of six activists to protest. The six are on trial for staging a demonstration at parliament over a 42 million dollars firefighting procurement deal.

In a magistrate court in Lusaka, Province Deputy Police Commissioner Geoffrey Kunda says the accused have the constitutional right to demonstrate as they complied with the law. He added that an attempt to verbally ban the march may have led to the situation and the arrests of the campaigners.

READ:  Tanzania's President Signs Agreement For The Construction Of Controversial Hydro-Electric Power Project

Kunda said his office failed to respond to a notice given by the protesters signalling their intention to picket parliament during the finance minister’s budget speech last year.

READ:  130 Shiite Members Arraigned In Abuja For Violent Protests

The six have pleaded not guilty to charges of disobeying a lawful order, and insisted they had a right to protest within the grounds of parliament.

Zambia’s opposition has accused president Lungu of increasingly authoritarian behaviour.

READ:  Society Is To Blame For Upsurge Of Boko Haram, Al-Shabaab – Farah

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

African News

Uganda: Police Steps Up Deployments To Stop More Cases Of FGM

Published

on

By

Uganda: Police Steps Up Deployments To Stop More Cases Of FGM

Authorities in Uganda’s Eastern Sebei region have reported an increase in cases of Female Genital Mutilation (FGM), that is illegal in the country. Police say they have stepped up their deployments to stop any more cases.

Local leaders and activists say some FGM ceremonies are now happening in public in spite of the practice being illegal in Uganda. Most of the victims are believed to be married women in their 20s and 30s who face stigma for not having undergone the procedure.

READ:  Osinbajo Orders Immediate Overhaul Of SARS

A non-governmental agency says there have been at least 12 women who have undergone public circumcision, although there have been many more suspected cases.

FGM was banned in Uganda in 2010 with those committing the act facing up to 10 years in prison. Campaigning by the government and activists has led to a reduction in the practice.

READ:  Buhari Orders Police IG To Suspend Investigation Of Ademola Adeleke

But now some women, who did not undergo the procedure before marriage, are said to be facing social isolation and pressure to get circumcised.

Continue Reading

African News

Security Officers Repulse Suspected Al-Shabaab Attack In Kenya

Published

on

By

Security Officers Repulse Suspected Al-Shabaab Attack In Kenya

Four more suspects named by Kenyan authorities as wanted following last week’s attack at the Dusitd2 complex in the capital, Nairobi, have surrendered. They reportedly handed themselves in at a police station in Isiolo, north-east of the capital.

READ:  APC Governorship Primary: Lagos State Police Arrests 84 Hoodlums Involved In Violence

Kenyan police also said on Monday, they have thwarted an attack by suspected Somali militants Al Shabaab on a Chinese-owned construction company in an eastern region, days after the Islamist group killed 21 people in Nairobi.

READ:  Osinbajo Orders Immediate Overhaul Of SARS

The assailants wounded one person while they attempted to hit the site in Garissa county, not far from the Kenyan-Somali border, owned by a Chinese road construction company that is building the Garissa-Modogashe highway.

READ:  Zimbabwe's Opposition Leader Postpones "Mock" Inauguration After Cholera Outbreak

County Police Commander David Kerina says, the attackers were repulsed since the security officers were very alert.

Continue Reading

African News

South Sudan Govt Sets To Repair Oil Wells Damaged During Civil War

Published

on

By

South Sudan Govt Set To Repair Oil Wells Damaged During Civil War

South Sudan says it has begun repairing and pumping oil from wells damaged during the civil war that broke out in 2013. Oil Minister Ezekiel Lul Gatkuoth says the move will boost production by 70, 000 barrels per day by the end of the year.

READ:  12 Chinese Workers Arrested For Cultivating Cannabis In Zambia

The country gained independence from Sudan eight years ago, and currently produces 160,000 barrels per day.

Gatkuoth says wells are being repaired with the help of Sudan after production plunged to less than half of pre-war levels. South Sudan’s President Salva Kirr and rebel leader Riek Machar signed what they called the “final final” peace deal agreement to end the civil war in august last year. But it has not been fully implemented.

READ:  Ugandan Police Arrest Three Students Suspected To Have Set School On Fire

Continue Reading

Trending

Subscribe to ANN News Alert

Be the first to receive the latest news from Africa and around the world.

%d bloggers like this: