Minimum Wage: Sen. Shehu Sani Throws Weight Behind NLC Strike – African News Network | Latest African News | Nigerian News | Breaking News
Connect with us

Nigerian News

Minimum Wage: Sen. Shehu Sani Throws Weight Behind NLC Strike

Published

on

Minimum Wage: Sen. Shehu Sani Throws Weight Behind NLC Strike

Sen. Shehu Sani representing Kaduna Central has thrown his weight behind the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) nationwide protest and planned Nov. 6 strike to press for a new National Minimum Wage.

The NLC and the Trade Union Congress (TUC) are protesting the resistance of the federal, state and local governments to the adoption of new minimum wage.

Members of the unions had on Tuesday staged a nationwide protest to mobilise support for the Nov. 6 strike to compel government to agree to the N30,000 wages.

READ:  Labour Suspends Nationwide Strike

Sani who revealed this on his twitter handle @ShehuSani on Thursday said that the mass protest by NLC was commendable and that he would support the issue on the floor of the senate.

He tweeted ‘’NLC’s nationwide mass protest is commendable. Those who can pay 22k (N22,000) as minimum wage should just add 8k (8,000) to make it 30k (30,000). Nigeria’s economy can sustain it.

READ:  Labour Issues December Ultimatum For N30,000 Minimum Wage Implementation

‘’The struggle must continue. I will add a strong voice of solidarity to this on the floor of the senate,’’ Sani said.

The NLC on Wednesday directed all affiliate unions, state councils, civil society allies and the informal sector to commence immediate mobilisation for the nationwide strike.

READ:  NRA Threatens To Withdraw Members From NPFL Over Attacks On Referees

A communique signed by the NLC President, Ayuba Wabba, and General Secretary, Peter Essom, said there would be joint organ meetings of the Central Working Committees (CWCs) of all the labour centres on Nov. 2.

The meeting would discuss the final preparations for a full engagement with the federal government on the national minimum wage.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Nigerian News

Group Seeks Compensation For Building Collapse Victims In Lagos, Oyo

Published

on

By

Group Seeks Compensation For Building Collapse Victims In Lagos, Oyo

Advocacy group, Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project, has called for investigation into circumstances surrounding buildings collapse incidents in Lagos and Oyo states last week.

READ:  Agoro 1 Accuses SPDC Of Neglect After Oil Spillage

SERAP said the two states should take immediate steps to investigate the latest incidents and bring to justice complicit developers and contractors.

SERAP’s Deputy Director, Kolawole Oludare, says the group is ready to offer free legal services to affected families.

READ:  Shehu Sani: Buhari Chides El-Rufai For Breaching Party Decision

Continue Reading

Nigerian News

Building Collapse: Lagos Demolishes 13 Buildings

Published

on

By

Building Collapse: Lagos Demolishes 13 Buildings

Five more buildings in Lagos Island have been brought down by the Lagos state government, bringing the number of demolished buildings to thirteen.

Lagos state building control agency embarked on this demolition on Friday to prevent another disaster after Wednesday’s collapsed building incident in Ita-Faji, Lagos Island.

READ:  Agoro 1 Accuses SPDC Of Neglect After Oil Spillage

Twenty persons were killed; forty-five others were injured when a four-storey building, housing a school at its top floor, collapsed. Most of the dead were children.

Commissioner for Physical Planning and Urban Development, Rotimi Ogunleye described the exercise as a holistic response to the challenges posed by derelict structures and unapproved schools.

READ:  Petroleum Marketers Warn Against Imminent Danger From Sale Of Cooking Gas In Nigeria

The government has taken over the site of the collapsed Massey street building.

Government officials say the ministry had identified 149 distressed and defective buildings, of which 40 have been demolished.

READ:  Chairman Of Action People's Party Joins Call For President Buhari's Disqualification From 2019 Elections

Continue Reading

Nigerian News

10 Killed In Attack On Kaduna Community

Published

on

By

10 Killed In Attack On Kaduna Community

Ten persons have been killed in a fresh attack in Nandu community in Kaduna State.

Chairman Sanga local government council, Charles Danladi, says the attack happened in Nandu village in which eleven houses were burnt.

READ:  NRA Threatens To Withdraw Members From NPFL Over Attacks On Referees

This is happening at a time when the state struggles to contain repeated attacks in Kajuru local government area of the state for two months now.

READ:  Atiku Names Presidential Nomination Council Ahead Of PDP Primaries

Dozens of civilians have been killed there in communal violence believed to be between the Adara people and their Fulani neighbours.

Continue Reading

Trending

Subscribe to ANN News Alert

Be the first to receive the latest news from Africa and around the world.

%d bloggers like this: