Court Jails Sex-For-Mark OAU Lecturer For Two Years – Nigerian News – African News Network | Latest African News | Nigerian News | Breaking News
Connect with us

Nigerian News

Court Jails Sex-For-Mark OAU Lecturer For Two Years

Published

on

Court Jails Sex-For-Mark OAU Lecturer For Two Years

A Federal High Court in Osun on Monday, Sentenced a former Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU) lecturer, Richard Akindele, to two years in prison for demanding sex-for-marks from a student, Monica Osagie.

Justice Maureen Onyekenu, gave the order after Akindele changed his plea, from not guilty to guilty.

The trial judge ordered that the lecturer serves his sentence in Ilesa prison, due to the magnitude of the offense he committed “which is prevalent in the country”.

READ:  WAEC Releases 2018 Results

Onyekenu had earlier rejected a suspended sentence and plea bargain which the Defendant’s counsel, Mr. Francis Omotosho, had pleaded for, noting that suspended sentence and plea bargain should be premised on public interest.

READ:  Chinese Geneticist Apologizes For Leak Of Genetically Edited Children Findings

She decried the gravity of the offense the convict committed, adding that someone must be used “as a scapegoat” without letting the issue of sexual harassment in tertiary institutions continue like that.

The Defence Counsel, Francis Omotosho, had earlier pleaded with the court to temper justice with mercy in sentencing his client.

READ:  Tunisian Teachers Protest For Improved Living Conditions

NAN reports that the lecturer was first arraigned before Justice Maureen Onyetenu on Nov. 19 by the ICPC on four counts of alteration of age and demanding sex to pass his student.

Nigerian News

CCT Declines To Suspend Onnoghen’s Trial

Published

on

By

CCT Declines To Suspend Onnoghen's Trial

The Code of Conduct Tribunal, CCT, in Abuja, has declined to suspend further proceedings in the criminal charge against the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Walter Onnoghen.

The tribunal, said in a two-to-one decision, it would go ahead to hear the application the CJN filed to challenge its jurisdiction to try him on the six-count charge entered by the federal government that bordered on his alleged refusal to declare his assets.

READ:  WAEC Releases 2018 Results

There was a sharp disagreement between the chairman of the tribunal,  Danladi Umar and another member of the panel, William Agwadza Atedze, on the legal propriety of going ahead with trial, despite four separate interim injunctions, restraining all the parties from taking further steps in the matter, pending the determination of suits before different high courts and the National Industrial Court, NIC.

READ:  Saraki Swears In Two New APC Senators

Umar says the tribunal is not constitutionally bound by orders from both the high court and the NIC

Continue Reading

Nigerian News

House Of Reps Summons 21 Mgt. Staff Of PenCom Over Pension Fund

Published

on

By

House Of Reps Summons 21 Mgt. Staff Of PenCom Over Pension Fund

Still in the house, top management staff of the National Pension Commission and 21 pension funds administrators have been asked to appear before the House of Representatives on Thursday.

An ad hoc committee issued the summons on Tuesday as part of its investigation of the alleged sharp practices by pension administrators and custodians.

READ:  Schools Shut Down In Nasarawa

 

The committee invited the acting director-general, PenCom, Aisha Dahir-Umar, and other top executives of the commission, the pension administrators and custodians mandated with the management of pension funds.

READ:  APC To Start Screening Presidential Aspirants On Friday

The committee is demanding information on the net assets of the contributory pension funds, details of supervisors and regulators of pension funds administrators and their key instructions and performances, compliances and defaults, details of payment into treasury single account, as well as bank accounts operated by the commission.

READ:  Tunisian Teachers Protest For Improved Living Conditions

Continue Reading

Business News

Shell, Total Shut Down Four GenCos Over Debts

Published

on

By

Shell, Total Shut Down Four GenCos Over Debts

Four Gas Generating Companies (GenCos) have shut down production as a result of their failure to pay gas debts owed Shell Petroleum Development Company (SPDC) and total, as well as their inability to access fresh loans for gas.

READ:  SON Warns Against Detected Cancer-causing Agent In School Uniforms

Some of the GenCos have now resorted to securing credit facilities from commercial banks to sustain their production.

 

The executive secretary, Association of Power Generation Companies (APGC), Joy Ogaji said the power plants shutdown production because of lack of access to take loans.

READ:  Chinese Geneticist Apologizes For Leak Of Genetically Edited Children Findings

Ogaji says the 700 billion naira power assurance guarantee, which the federal executive council approved for the companies in the first quarter of 2017, has been exhausted.

READ:  UNILORIN, OAU Win As HIFL Semifinals Begin

But there are hopes that the federal government would make the Electricity Distribution Companies (DISCOS) pay at least 80 per cent of their invoices.

Continue Reading

TRENDING

Trending

Subscribe to ANN News Alert

Be the first to receive the latest news from Africa and around the world.

%d bloggers like this: