Tensions Rise In Togo Ahead Of Parliamentary Election – African News Network | Latest African News | Nigerian News | Breaking News
Connect with us

African News

Tensions Rise In Togo Ahead Of Parliamentary Election

Published

on

Tensions Rise In Togo Ahead Of Parliamentary Election

Togo on Thursday votes in legislative elections that are being boycotted by the main opposition after a year of political upheaval which saw demonstrators demanding President Faure Gnassingbe step down.

A coalition of 14 opposition parties has said it will not take part, citing “irregularities” in preparations for the vote and calling for an overhaul of the electoral commission.

READ:  Chaos As 200,000 Congolese Expelled From Angola

It has also called for more transparency and constitutional reforms to limit the number of presidential terms.

Gnassingbe has been in power since 2005 after succeeding his father, General Gnassingbe Eyadema, who ruled the country with an iron first for 38 years.

Ahead of the December 20 parliamentary elections, the opposition called for 10 days of protests to halt the ballot while urging supporters to follow them in a boycott.

READ:  Venezuela's Maduro Says Africa Won The World Cup

Earlier this month, at least four people were killed when opposition supporters clashed with the security forces in the capital Lome and several other cities across the country. The opposition put the figure at six dead.

Such violence is unusual in this tiny west African country.

READ:  UN Urges Gunmen In Libya To Withdraw From Oilfield

“We have always said no to these elections, we will do what we can so that they don’t take place,” coalition co-ordinator Brigitte Adjamagbo-Johnson said this week.

“The government does what it wants in the country,” a source within the Panafrican National Party (PNP) told AFP.

Source

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

African News

Prime Minister And Cabinet Members Resign In Burkina Faso

Published

on

By

Prime Minister And Cabinet Members Resign In Burkina Faso

The cabinet of Burkina Faso President, Roch Marc Kabore, has resigned according to a statement released on national television by the country’s president.

Prime Minister Paul Kaba Thieba, a former economist, had held the position since January 2016 when he was nominated by President Roch Marc Christian Kabore. Kabore accepted the resignations and said, a new government is to be form as soon as possible while no explanation was given for there resignation.

The government  is faced growing pressure over a rise in the number of kidnappings and attacks. The country lies in the heart of the vast Sahel region, which is struggling with a bloody Islamist insurgency.

Canadian Edith Blais, 34, and her Italian partner Luca Tacchetto, 30, have been missing since mid-December, and late Wednesday a Canadian geologist kidnapped by suspected jihadists was found dead at a remote gold mine in the northeast.

READ:  Almost 300 Malians Killed This Year In Militia Clashes - U.N.
Continue Reading

African News

Breaking: Court Grants Dino Melaye Bail On Health Ground

Published

on

By

Dino Melaye Granted Bail On Health Condition

Senator Dino Melaye has been granted bail by a High Court in Maitama, Abuja. Justice Yusuf Halilu granted bail to Melaye on health ground. Halilu was of the view that the Senator must be healthy to stand trial.

READ:  Boko Haram Attack Military Base In Niger, Killing 10 Soldiers

The ruling was granted after an application by Melaye’s lawyer, Mike Ozekhome (SAN). The senator is currently being held in a police health facility in Abuja.

READ:  U.S. Allows Somali Immigrants Stay 18 More Months

As terms for his bail, the defendant is expected to produce three sureties, one of whom must be the Clerk of the National Assembly.

The judge said the other two sureties must be owners of properties within the Abuja metropolis.

READ:  Study Sheds Light On Scourge Of 'Fake' News In Africa

Continue Reading

African News

Ghana: Undercover Reporter Cries Out Over Death Threats

Published

on

By

Ghana: Undercover Reporter Cries Out Over Death Threats

Ghanaian undercover reporter Anas Aremeyaw Anas has said, his team face death threats on a daily basis. He was speaking after his colleague Ahmed Hussein-Suale was shot dead while driving home, after a politician called for retribution against him.

READ:  China Unveils Proposed Tariffs On $60 Billion Of U.S. Goods In Latest Trade War Salvo

Reports say Ahmed Hussein-Suale was near his home in Madina Suburb on Wednesday when two men on a motorbike pulled up next to his car and shot him at close range.

READ:  Study Sheds Light On Scourge Of 'Fake' News In Africa

The journalist died instantly after being shot twice in the chest and in the neck.

He was an investigative journalist with tiger eye private investigations, run by Anas. Hussein had exposed Ghana’s soccer corruption that led to the head of the Ghana Football Association resignation.

READ:  Ethiopia's PM Vows To Continue Reforms "At Any Cost"

Continue Reading

Trending

Subscribe to ANN News Alert

Be the first to receive the latest news from Africa and around the world.

%d bloggers like this: