NBS Shows Rise In Unemployment To 21 Million – Nigerian News – African News Network | Latest African News | Nigerian News | Breaking News
Connect with us

Nigerian News

NBS Shows Rise In Unemployment To 21 Million

Published

on

NBS Shows Rise In Unemployment To 21 Million

Figures from the National Bureau of Statistics show that Nigeria’s unemployment numbers rose by almost three and a half million, to 21 million, in the third quarter of this year. Unemployed females outnumbered males. There were also a large number of job losses in rural areas where unemployment figures increased by seven and a half percent.  At the same time, unemployment figures in major urban areas decreased by two percent.

READ:  NCC Develops 622 Toll-Free Lines For Customers To Lodge Complaints

The total number classified as unemployed, meaning they did nothing at all or they worked too few hours to be classified as employed, increased from seventeen and a half million in the fourth quarter of last year to 21 million in the third quarter of this year.

READ:  FG, States Should Budget 15% To Education

The report also showed that total combined unemployment and under-employment rates increased from forty percent in the third quarter of last year to 43 percent in the third quarter of this year.

READ:  SA Unemployment Rate Rises To 27.5%

The Bureau says the country’s unemployment rate has been increasing since the 2014 economic crisis.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Nigerian News

CCT Declines To Suspend Onnoghen’s Trial

Published

on

By

CCT Declines To Suspend Onnoghen's Trial

The Code of Conduct Tribunal, CCT, in Abuja, has declined to suspend further proceedings in the criminal charge against the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Walter Onnoghen.

The tribunal, said in a two-to-one decision, it would go ahead to hear the application the CJN filed to challenge its jurisdiction to try him on the six-count charge entered by the federal government that bordered on his alleged refusal to declare his assets.

READ:  Senate To Probe Killings In Zamfara State

There was a sharp disagreement between the chairman of the tribunal,  Danladi Umar and another member of the panel, William Agwadza Atedze, on the legal propriety of going ahead with trial, despite four separate interim injunctions, restraining all the parties from taking further steps in the matter, pending the determination of suits before different high courts and the National Industrial Court, NIC.

READ:  Nigeria's GDP Slows Down By 1.5%

Umar says the tribunal is not constitutionally bound by orders from both the high court and the NIC

Continue Reading

Nigerian News

House Of Reps Summons 21 Mgt. Staff Of PenCom Over Pension Fund

Published

on

By

House Of Reps Summons 21 Mgt. Staff Of PenCom Over Pension Fund

Still in the house, top management staff of the National Pension Commission and 21 pension funds administrators have been asked to appear before the House of Representatives on Thursday.

An ad hoc committee issued the summons on Tuesday as part of its investigation of the alleged sharp practices by pension administrators and custodians.

READ:  Nigeria's Investment Inflows Drop By 12% - NBS

 

The committee invited the acting director-general, PenCom, Aisha Dahir-Umar, and other top executives of the commission, the pension administrators and custodians mandated with the management of pension funds.

READ:  NCC Develops 622 Toll-Free Lines For Customers To Lodge Complaints

The committee is demanding information on the net assets of the contributory pension funds, details of supervisors and regulators of pension funds administrators and their key instructions and performances, compliances and defaults, details of payment into treasury single account, as well as bank accounts operated by the commission.

READ:  SA Unemployment Rate Rises To 27.5%

Continue Reading

Business News

Shell, Total Shut Down Four GenCos Over Debts

Published

on

By

Shell, Total Shut Down Four GenCos Over Debts

Four Gas Generating Companies (GenCos) have shut down production as a result of their failure to pay gas debts owed Shell Petroleum Development Company (SPDC) and total, as well as their inability to access fresh loans for gas.

READ:  NCC Develops 622 Toll-Free Lines For Customers To Lodge Complaints

Some of the GenCos have now resorted to securing credit facilities from commercial banks to sustain their production.

 

The executive secretary, Association of Power Generation Companies (APGC), Joy Ogaji said the power plants shutdown production because of lack of access to take loans.

READ:  Prince Charles Hosts Nigerian Fashion Designers

Ogaji says the 700 billion naira power assurance guarantee, which the federal executive council approved for the companies in the first quarter of 2017, has been exhausted.

READ:  9,822 Nigerians Have Returned From Libya, Other Countries – NEMA

But there are hopes that the federal government would make the Electricity Distribution Companies (DISCOS) pay at least 80 per cent of their invoices.

Continue Reading

TRENDING

Trending

Subscribe to ANN News Alert

Be the first to receive the latest news from Africa and around the world.

%d bloggers like this: