Uber Puts First Self-Driving Car Back On The Road Since Death – Tech News – African News Network | Latest African News | Nigerian News | Breaking News
Connect with us

Tech News

Uber Puts First Self-Driving Car Back On The Road Since Death

Published

on

Uber Puts First Self-Driving Car Back On The Road Since Death

Uber, which halted its self-driving car programme after the death of a pedestrian in March, will return one or two self-driving cars to public roads in Pittsburgh on Thursday, the company said.

Uber said it received the all-clear from the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation this week. The self-driving car program has been suspended as the National Transportation Safety Board investigated the pedestrian fatality in Tempe, Arizona, and as state officials reviewed Uber’s authorization.

READ:  Journalists Back EU Move To Make Facebook, Google Pay For News

This is the first time Uber is returning autonomous vehicles to public roads since the accident. In order to collect data, Uber had previously deployed some autonomous vehicles in manual mode, meaning that human drivers were operating them at all times.

READ:  Facebook Shutting Down Trending Topics Feature

On Thursday, Uber will also deploy cars in San Francisco and Toronto in the manual, human-driven mode.

True autonomous testing will resume in Pittsburgh, but it will be more limited than before. Uber’s cars will drive at speeds of 25 miles per hour or below, the company said. Uber announced a number of other safety measures, including improvements to braking, operator training and driver monitoring.

READ:  Google Partners With LEAD To Provide Free Digital Certification

“Over the past nine months, we’ve made safety core to everything we do,” said Eric Meyhofer, head of Uber’s Advanced Technologies Group.

Source

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

African News

Leap From 2G To 4G Would Happen Faster Than Expected In Africa – Nokia

Published

on

By

Leap From 2G To 4G Would Happen Faster Than Expected In Africa - Nokia

Nokia head of customer marketing and communications in the middle east and African regions, Joachim Wuilmet says the African continent is on the next great mobile phone innovation this year.

Wuilmet said mobile subscribers in Sub-Saharan Africa rose by 44% in 2017 and smartphone penetration in the same region increased by 75%. He says, Africa is poised at the edge of an evolution, ready to show the rest of the world what it can do with innovation and a commitment to improving infrastructure and that the leap from 2G to 4G in Sub-Saharan Africa would happen faster than many expect.

READ:  Journalists Back EU Move To Make Facebook, Google Pay For News

Also, Nokia`s central, east, and west Africa- market unit head Daniel Jaeger, said there were already a number of impressive innovations around 5G in Africa, with some commercial sites in South Africa already rolling out.

READ:  Leap From 2G To 4G Would Happen Faster Than Expected In Africa - Nokia

Continue Reading

Tech News

Huawei Executive Arrested In Poland For Spying Allegations

Published

on

By

Huawei Executive Arrested In Poland For Spying Allegation

A Huawei executive has been arrested in Poland for allegedly working with a Chinese secret services.

 

A director and an employee of Huawei, Weijing W, and a polish national, Piotr D were accused of spying allegations. They were being arrested on Thursday as it was discovered their actions were in benefit of Chinese secret service. They will be held under arrest for three months and if found guilty they are likely to face up to 10 years in prison.

Spokesperson for Poland’s minister for special services, Stanislaw Zaryn, said that the agency had evidence that both men were “conducting spying activities against Poland”.

READ:  Google+ Shuts Down After 500,000 Users' Data Breach
Continue Reading

African News

Election: DRC Restores Internet Services After Announcement Of Result

Published

on

By

Election: DRC Restores Internet Services After Announcement Of Result

Democratic Republic of Congo has restored internet services in the country – right after provisional results of the presidential election were announced.

The government had ordered a shutdown of internet access during the counting of votes, saying it did not want people to spread “false” information.

READ:  Leap From 2G To 4G Would Happen Faster Than Expected In Africa - Nokia

Residents in the capital-Kinshasa and eastern city of Goma have confirmed that internet services have been restored.

Critics had accused the government-in its decision of trying to suppress the truth about the counting process.

READ:  NCC Does Not Plan To Regulate Social Media Use In Nigeria

Continue Reading

Trending

Subscribe to ANN News Alert

Be the first to receive the latest news from Africa and around the world.

%d bloggers like this: