8 Suspected Islamist Militants Shot Dead In Cairo – African News – African News Network | Latest African News | Nigerian News | Breaking News
Connect with us

African News

8 Suspected Islamist Militants Shot Dead In Cairo

Published

on

8 Suspected Islamist Militants Shot Dead In Cairo

Egyptian police says eight suspected Islamist militants have been killed in shootouts in and around Cairo. Security forces have also arrested and detained four others who allegedly planned attacks on minority Christians during the upcoming holiday season.

READ:  Mali President Keita Wins Re-election With 67 Percent Of Vote

The interior ministry said in a statement that those killed belonged to the Hasm group which it says is an armed faction of the muslim brotherhood, an islamist group removed from power in 2013.

READ:  Egypt Court Orders Release Of Anti-sex Abuse Activist

The ministry says, the operations were based on intelligence of planned attacks during celebrations for Coptic Christmas.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

African News

MSF Raises Alarm Over Malnutrition In Southern Ethiopia

Published

on

By

MSF Raises Alarm Over Malnutrition In Southern Ethiopia

Medical charity, Doctors Without Borders, MSF has raised the alarm over malnutrition rates in Southern Ethiopia amongst tens of thousands of Internally Displaced People (IDPs).

MSF says, its teams saw rates of malnutrition amongst children to be well above the emergency threshold in one local government area, last month. They also saw a high number of malnourished pregnant women.

READ:  'We're overwhelmed by work,' nurses say after dead infants found stuffed in boxes

MSF field coordinator in the area, Markus Boening said, the camps are overcrowded and in extremely poor conditions. Markus added that, the people living there are at risk from outbreaks of epidemics and their health is very vulnerable after being forced to move so many times.

READ:  Egypt's New Mega-Museum Set To Open In 2020

At least a million people were forced from their homes by ethnic clashes last year. Some have returned, but many still live in IDP camps. MSF is now working with local authorities focusing on improving nutrition.

READ:  Egypt Says Wanted Ex-minister Arrested In Italy Released

Continue Reading

African News

Egypt Parliament Votes To Extend Sisi Rule Until 2030

Published

on

By

Egypt Parliament Votes To Extend Sisi Rule Until 2030

Egypt’s capital Cairo is full of banners encouraging Egyptians to participate in a referendum after parliament approved amendments to the constitution that could keep President Abdel Fattah Al-Sisi in power until 2030. The 596-member parliament, dominated by Sisi supporters, voted 531 to 22 in favor of the amendments, though they still have to be endorsed in a referendum before it takes effect.

READ:  Namibia's Herero People File Suit Against Germany Over Genocide

The changes would extend Sisi’s current term to six years from four and then allow him to run again for a third term, which would last six years.

READ:  Libya Crisis: Airport Bombing Forces Complete Shut Down

Sisi’s supporters say the changes are necessary to give him more time to complete major development projects and economic reforms.

Critics of the changes say, the amendments would encourage the role of the military in political life and increase the president’s power over the judiciary.

READ:  Zimbabwe Police Arrest 5 Suspects In $4 million Gold Haul - Report

Continue Reading

African News

Libya Death Toll Rises To 205 Amid Clashes In Tripoli says W.H.O

Published

on

By

Libya Death Toll Rises To 205 Amid Clashes In Tripoli says W.H.O

World Health Organization (WHO) has said on Thursday, at least, 205 persons have been killed in Libya, including 18 civilians, and more than 900 wounded in two weeks of fighting near the capital, Tripoli.

READ:  Cameroon's Biya Admits Anglophone 'Frustrations' At Swearing In

It says, shells slammed, into a densely-populated district of the area on Tuesday, piling misery on civilians, from a two-week assault by commander Khalifa Haftar’s forces, to take Libya’s capital from an internationally-backed government.

READ:  MSF Raises Alarm Over Malnutrition In Southern Ethiopia

The UN refugee agency says it has now evacuated nearly 180 migrants from a detention centre close to the area of fighting. It says, people relocated from the Abu Salim centre were among its most vulnerable detainees – including women and children.  U.N said, there’s grave concern for those still in the facility.

READ:  Al Shabaab Attack Military Base In Somalia, Kill 27 Soldiers

Continue Reading

Trending

Subscribe to ANN News Alert

Be the first to receive the latest news from Africa and around the world.

%d bloggers like this: