Comoros Court Jails Opposition Figures – African News Network | Latest African News | Nigerian News | Breaking News
Connect with us

African News

Comoros Court Jails Opposition Figures

Published

on

Italian Who Shot At Africans In Racist Attack Jailed For 12 Years

A court in Comoros has sentenced a top opposition figure to seven years behind bars for assault during a controversial referendum on changes to the constitution.

It was the latest in a string of sentences handed down to political figures who opposed a series of constitutional reforms enabling President Azali Assoumani to extend his term in office.

READ:  Uganda Warns Against Interference As Pressure Mounts On U.S. To Cut Military Support

In a ruling late Monday, the security court sentenced Ahmed el-Barwane, secretary-general of the opposition Juwa party, for ordering an attack on a soldier during a July referendum on the reforms.

It also handed 20 years jail time to another Juwa MP, Tocha Johar, who was also on trial alongside another 20 or so people accused of attacking a policeman.

Two of the group were acquitted while the others were handed shorter sentences ranging from several months to three years.

READ:  DRC Issues International Arrest Warrant For Opposition's Katumbi

At the weekend, the court handed down life sentences with hard labor to four senior opposition figures and lengthy jail terms to several others for plotting against the state.

READ:  Merkel Says Germany To Provide Legal Pathways For Migration To Europe

The opposition denounced the rulings as “an insult to democracy”.

Source

African News

MSF Raises Alarm Over Malnutrition In Southern Ethiopia

Published

on

By

MSF Raises Alarm Over Malnutrition In Southern Ethiopia

Medical charity, Doctors Without Borders, MSF has raised the alarm over malnutrition rates in Southern Ethiopia amongst tens of thousands of Internally Displaced People (IDPs).

MSF says, its teams saw rates of malnutrition amongst children to be well above the emergency threshold in one local government area, last month. They also saw a high number of malnourished pregnant women.

READ:  Burundi Arrests Aid Workers For Flouting Foreign NGO Ban

MSF field coordinator in the area, Markus Boening said, the camps are overcrowded and in extremely poor conditions. Markus added that, the people living there are at risk from outbreaks of epidemics and their health is very vulnerable after being forced to move so many times.

READ:  Swahili Fashion Week Showcases Hottest Designs In East Africa

At least a million people were forced from their homes by ethnic clashes last year. Some have returned, but many still live in IDP camps. MSF is now working with local authorities focusing on improving nutrition.

READ:  Tiny Rwanda Boosts Influence With Francophonie Chief Role

Continue Reading

African News

Egypt Parliament Votes To Extend Sisi Rule Until 2030

Published

on

By

Egypt Parliament Votes To Extend Sisi Rule Until 2030

Egypt’s capital Cairo is full of banners encouraging Egyptians to participate in a referendum after parliament approved amendments to the constitution that could keep President Abdel Fattah Al-Sisi in power until 2030. The 596-member parliament, dominated by Sisi supporters, voted 531 to 22 in favor of the amendments, though they still have to be endorsed in a referendum before it takes effect.

READ:  Sheikh Mohammed Bin Zayed Meets Togolese President

The changes would extend Sisi’s current term to six years from four and then allow him to run again for a third term, which would last six years.

READ:  Burundi Arrests Aid Workers For Flouting Foreign NGO Ban

Sisi’s supporters say the changes are necessary to give him more time to complete major development projects and economic reforms.

Critics of the changes say, the amendments would encourage the role of the military in political life and increase the president’s power over the judiciary.

READ:  UN, AU Ask South Sudan's Warring Sides To Deliver On Peace Deal

Continue Reading

African News

Libya Death Toll Rises To 205 Amid Clashes In Tripoli says W.H.O

Published

on

By

Libya Death Toll Rises To 205 Amid Clashes In Tripoli says W.H.O

World Health Organization (WHO) has said on Thursday, at least, 205 persons have been killed in Libya, including 18 civilians, and more than 900 wounded in two weeks of fighting near the capital, Tripoli.

READ:  Kanye West, Kim Kardashian 'Excited' After Museveni Gives Them Ugandan Names

It says, shells slammed, into a densely-populated district of the area on Tuesday, piling misery on civilians, from a two-week assault by commander Khalifa Haftar’s forces, to take Libya’s capital from an internationally-backed government.

READ:  Comoros Seeks To Arrest Ex-VP Who Opposed President's Term Limit Move

The UN refugee agency says it has now evacuated nearly 180 migrants from a detention centre close to the area of fighting. It says, people relocated from the Abu Salim centre were among its most vulnerable detainees – including women and children.  U.N said, there’s grave concern for those still in the facility.

READ:  DRC Issues International Arrest Warrant For Opposition's Katumbi

Continue Reading

Trending

Subscribe to ANN News Alert

Be the first to receive the latest news from Africa and around the world.

%d bloggers like this: