Court Jails Sex-For-Mark OAU Lecturer For Two Years – Nigerian News – African News Network | Latest African News | Nigerian News | Breaking News
Connect with us

Nigerian News

Court Jails Sex-For-Mark OAU Lecturer For Two Years

Published

on

Court Jails Sex-For-Mark OAU Lecturer For Two Years

A Federal High Court in Osun on Monday, Sentenced a former Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU) lecturer, Richard Akindele, to two years in prison for demanding sex-for-marks from a student, Monica Osagie.

Justice Maureen Onyekenu, gave the order after Akindele changed his plea, from not guilty to guilty.

The trial judge ordered that the lecturer serves his sentence in Ilesa prison, due to the magnitude of the offense he committed “which is prevalent in the country”.

READ:  Osinbajo: I Took Restructuring To Supreme Court 12 Times

Onyekenu had earlier rejected a suspended sentence and plea bargain which the Defendant’s counsel, Mr. Francis Omotosho, had pleaded for, noting that suspended sentence and plea bargain should be premised on public interest.

READ:  NPA Beats NIMASA To Win 2018 Maritime Cup

She decried the gravity of the offense the convict committed, adding that someone must be used “as a scapegoat” without letting the issue of sexual harassment in tertiary institutions continue like that.

The Defence Counsel, Francis Omotosho, had earlier pleaded with the court to temper justice with mercy in sentencing his client.

READ:  Nigerian Senate Urges President Buhari To Sign 2018 Electoral Bill Immediately

NAN reports that the lecturer was first arraigned before Justice Maureen Onyetenu on Nov. 19 by the ICPC on four counts of alteration of age and demanding sex to pass his student.

Nigerian News

We’re Still Working With Swiss Partners To Free Chibok Girls – Lai Mohammed

Published

on

By

We're Still Working With Swiss Partners To Free Chibok Girls - Lai Mohammed

Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, has told an international audience in Washington DC that the federal government has been working every day with its Swiss partners and others, to track and secure the release of remaining Chibok girls still in captivity.

READ:  Children Return To Schools In Indonesia Quake City To Clean Up, Find Friends

The minister was speaking an audience at Georgetown University in Washington DC where he said the government has never one day forgotten or closed the case of the abducted girls.

READ:  Nigerian Football Officials Charged With $9.5m Fraud

The minister said the recent presidential elections in the country were a referendum on the integrity of president Buhari.  He said they also pointed to the triumph of the common Nigerian over the elite.

READ:  Brent Crude Oil Price Falls To $72 Per Barrel

Georgetown University is one of the top twenty in the US, and number four in international relations programmes.

Continue Reading

Nigerian News

Buhari Weighing Options For New Cabinet

Published

on

By

Buhari Weighing Options For News Cabinet

President Muhammadu Buhari is said to be mauling over getting rid of his current cabinet and replacing with fresh faces as a fresh term in office approaches.

Thisday newspaper is reporting that the president is weighing options for a new cabinet that would help him deliver on his campaign promises to Nigerians.

READ:  Nigerian Senate Urges President Buhari To Sign 2018 Electoral Bill Immediately

Buhari had promised that he would consolidate on the gains of his first term, particularly in the areas of security, fight against corruption and revival of the economy.

Reports say the president wants to start his second term on a fresh slate, which would entail sacking all incumbent ministers with one or two exceptions.

READ:  Brent Crude Oil Price Falls To $72 Per Barrel

The president is said to be aware that Nigerians seem not to be too impressed with his administration’s performance during his first term.  He is said to be determined to do better during his second term.

His cabinet dissolution could happen as early as next month to pave the way for appointment of new ministers.  Although the president is said to be considering appointing technocrats this time around, some incumbent ministers have reportedly mounted strong lobbies to remain.

READ:  Atiku Accuses EFCC Of Taking Sides With Funtua

Continue Reading

Nigerian News

CCT Convicts Onnoghen, Orders Forfeiture Of Funds In Bank Accounts

Published

on

By

Breaking: CCT Convicts Onnoghen, Orders FG To Seize Funds In Five Bank Accounts

The Code of Conduct Tribunal, CCT, sitting in Abuja, has on Thursday convicted the former Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Walter Onnoghen, on all the six-count charge the Federal Government preferred against him. The CCT banned Justice Onnoghen who had voluntarily resigned on April 4, from holding any public office for the next 10 years.

READ:  2,000 Children Unable To Go To School In Mali

As part of its sentence, the Danladi Umar-led three-man panel removed Justice Onnoghen as both the CJN  and Chairman of the National Judicial Council, NJC.

READ:  Children Return To Schools In Indonesia Quake City To Clean Up, Find Friends

Onnoghen is also ‘convicted,’ to forfeit to federal government his money in five bank accounts that he allegedly failed to declare as part of his assets.

READ:  Osinbajo: I Took Restructuring To Supreme Court 12 Times

Continue Reading

Trending

Subscribe to ANN News Alert

Be the first to receive the latest news from Africa and around the world.

%d bloggers like this: