France Drops Genocide Charges Against Rwandan Officials – African News – African News Network | Latest African News | Nigerian News | Breaking News
Connect with us

African News

France Drops Genocide Charges Against Rwandan Officials

Published

on

France Drops Genocide Charges Against Rwandan Officials

France investigative magistrates have dropped genocide charges against nine Rwandan officials. They were investigated over the death of the country’s president in 1998, an event that led to a genocide that killed more than 800,000 people.

READ:  Libyan MP Injured As Shots Are Fired In Row Outside Parliament

France launched the investigation, that also targeted Rwanda’s former defense minister James Kabarebe, in 1998 following demands by relatives of the French crew who died when the president’s plane was downed.

READ:  Exiled Congolese Opposition Leader Addresses Opponents Of President Kabila

The investigation, and accusations by Rwandan officials that France was complicit, damaged relations between the two countries for several years.

A judicial source said, the charges were dropped last week due to insufficient evidence.

READ:  Gunmen Abduct Six Aid Workers In Somalia

African News

MSF Raises Alarm Over Malnutrition In Southern Ethiopia

Published

on

By

MSF Raises Alarm Over Malnutrition In Southern Ethiopia

Medical charity, Doctors Without Borders, MSF has raised the alarm over malnutrition rates in Southern Ethiopia amongst tens of thousands of Internally Displaced People (IDPs).

MSF says, its teams saw rates of malnutrition amongst children to be well above the emergency threshold in one local government area, last month. They also saw a high number of malnourished pregnant women.

READ:  Egypt President Approves Law Tightening Internet Controls

MSF field coordinator in the area, Markus Boening said, the camps are overcrowded and in extremely poor conditions. Markus added that, the people living there are at risk from outbreaks of epidemics and their health is very vulnerable after being forced to move so many times.

READ:  Study Sheds Light On Scourge Of 'Fake' News In Africa

At least a million people were forced from their homes by ethnic clashes last year. Some have returned, but many still live in IDP camps. MSF is now working with local authorities focusing on improving nutrition.

READ:  Afe Babalola University Announces Commencement Of It's Independent Power Project

Continue Reading

African News

Egypt Parliament Votes To Extend Sisi Rule Until 2030

Published

on

By

Egypt Parliament Votes To Extend Sisi Rule Until 2030

Egypt’s capital Cairo is full of banners encouraging Egyptians to participate in a referendum after parliament approved amendments to the constitution that could keep President Abdel Fattah Al-Sisi in power until 2030. The 596-member parliament, dominated by Sisi supporters, voted 531 to 22 in favor of the amendments, though they still have to be endorsed in a referendum before it takes effect.

READ:  Machar Says He Is Committed To The Ongoing Peace Process In South Sudan

The changes would extend Sisi’s current term to six years from four and then allow him to run again for a third term, which would last six years.

READ:  Zimbabwe's Violent Crackdown: Rights Groups Accuse Security Forces Of Raping Residents

Sisi’s supporters say the changes are necessary to give him more time to complete major development projects and economic reforms.

Critics of the changes say, the amendments would encourage the role of the military in political life and increase the president’s power over the judiciary.

READ:  13 Killed In Passenger Bus Accident In Macedonia Highway

Continue Reading

African News

Libya Death Toll Rises To 205 Amid Clashes In Tripoli says W.H.O

Published

on

By

Libya Death Toll Rises To 205 Amid Clashes In Tripoli says W.H.O

World Health Organization (WHO) has said on Thursday, at least, 205 persons have been killed in Libya, including 18 civilians, and more than 900 wounded in two weeks of fighting near the capital, Tripoli.

READ:  Gunmen Abduct Six Aid Workers In Somalia

It says, shells slammed, into a densely-populated district of the area on Tuesday, piling misery on civilians, from a two-week assault by commander Khalifa Haftar’s forces, to take Libya’s capital from an internationally-backed government.

READ:  Cameroon Protests US Interference During Nagy Visit

The UN refugee agency says it has now evacuated nearly 180 migrants from a detention centre close to the area of fighting. It says, people relocated from the Abu Salim centre were among its most vulnerable detainees – including women and children.  U.N said, there’s grave concern for those still in the facility.

READ:  Afe Babalola University Announces Commencement Of It's Independent Power Project

Continue Reading

Trending

Subscribe to ANN News Alert

Be the first to receive the latest news from Africa and around the world.

%d bloggers like this: