More Than 100 Persons Killed In DR Congo Ethnic Clashes – African News – African News Network | Latest African News | Nigerian News | Breaking News
Connect with us

African News

More Than 100 Persons Killed In DR Congo Ethnic Clashes

Published

on

More Than 100 Persons Killed In DR Congo Ethnic Clashes

More than a hundred persons have died in the Democratic Republic of Congo during clashes between rival ethnic groups in the country`s northwest few days to Sunday’s long-delayed presidential, legislative and provincial elections, which many fear could turn violent.

READ:  Mali President Keita Wins Re-election With 67 Percent Of Vote

The fighting in Mai-Ndombe province is some of the worst to hit the area in years. A local activist said the death toll could rise as high as 150. As Batende and Banunu leaders choice of candidate continues to raise tensions between the two groups.

READ:  DRC Rebel Ntaganda Is Guilty - ICC Prosecutors

Meanwhile, the governor of Kinshasa, D.R. Congo’s capital has given an order for all campaigning to stop for security reasons. Governor Andre Kimbuta’s decision follows crackdowns by security forces on opposition supporters that killed at least seven persons last week and a fire that destroyed thousands of voting machines.

READ:  Update: Five Killed, 20 Trapped In Gupta Mine Gas Explosion

African News

MSF Raises Alarm Over Malnutrition In Southern Ethiopia

Published

on

By

MSF Raises Alarm Over Malnutrition In Southern Ethiopia

Medical charity, Doctors Without Borders, MSF has raised the alarm over malnutrition rates in Southern Ethiopia amongst tens of thousands of Internally Displaced People (IDPs).

MSF says, its teams saw rates of malnutrition amongst children to be well above the emergency threshold in one local government area, last month. They also saw a high number of malnourished pregnant women.

READ:  South Africa: Largest Labour Union Sets To Embark On Nationwide Strike Over Large-Scale Layoffs

MSF field coordinator in the area, Markus Boening said, the camps are overcrowded and in extremely poor conditions. Markus added that, the people living there are at risk from outbreaks of epidemics and their health is very vulnerable after being forced to move so many times.

READ:  Ugandan Court Removes Age Limit For Presidents

At least a million people were forced from their homes by ethnic clashes last year. Some have returned, but many still live in IDP camps. MSF is now working with local authorities focusing on improving nutrition.

READ:  Labour Mobilises For Strike Over Alleged Stuck Minimum Wage Talks

Continue Reading

African News

Egypt Parliament Votes To Extend Sisi Rule Until 2030

Published

on

By

Egypt Parliament Votes To Extend Sisi Rule Until 2030

Egypt’s capital Cairo is full of banners encouraging Egyptians to participate in a referendum after parliament approved amendments to the constitution that could keep President Abdel Fattah Al-Sisi in power until 2030. The 596-member parliament, dominated by Sisi supporters, voted 531 to 22 in favor of the amendments, though they still have to be endorsed in a referendum before it takes effect.

READ:  U.S. Imposes Sanctions On Russia For Nerve Agent Attack In UK

The changes would extend Sisi’s current term to six years from four and then allow him to run again for a third term, which would last six years.

READ:  Dakar Film Festival Attracts International Attention

Sisi’s supporters say the changes are necessary to give him more time to complete major development projects and economic reforms.

Critics of the changes say, the amendments would encourage the role of the military in political life and increase the president’s power over the judiciary.

READ:  DR Congo Ruling Party Headquarters Ransacked, One Shot Dead

Continue Reading

African News

Libya Death Toll Rises To 205 Amid Clashes In Tripoli says W.H.O

Published

on

By

Libya Death Toll Rises To 205 Amid Clashes In Tripoli says W.H.O

World Health Organization (WHO) has said on Thursday, at least, 205 persons have been killed in Libya, including 18 civilians, and more than 900 wounded in two weeks of fighting near the capital, Tripoli.

READ:  9 Secondary School Students Killed In Uganda Fire

It says, shells slammed, into a densely-populated district of the area on Tuesday, piling misery on civilians, from a two-week assault by commander Khalifa Haftar’s forces, to take Libya’s capital from an internationally-backed government.

READ:  Ethiopia Arrests Former Minister Over Corruption Allegations

The UN refugee agency says it has now evacuated nearly 180 migrants from a detention centre close to the area of fighting. It says, people relocated from the Abu Salim centre were among its most vulnerable detainees – including women and children.  U.N said, there’s grave concern for those still in the facility.

READ:  At Least 15 Killed In Armed Clashes In DRC

Continue Reading

Trending

Subscribe to ANN News Alert

Be the first to receive the latest news from Africa and around the world.

%d bloggers like this: